“Love this hotel!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Love this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I love this hotel. It is a small, boutique hotel whose staff treats each customer with individualized and special attention. Every couple of months, my husband and I will get a room here even though we live right outside the city. Eighteen hours in this hotel makes you feel like you have been away from the kids for a week! One of the first times we stayed here, my husband and I were given a complimentary bottle of champagne when the staff found out that it was a special getaway without the kids. I have been smitten with this hotel ever since. I highly recommend this hotel for service, atmosphere, comfort, and affordability. Have fun!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Caroline C,

Thanks for continuing to "staycation" with us! We're happy to hear you feel refreshed after a visit to us. We can't wait to welcome you back for your next special occasion.

Best,

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I love the Kimpton hotels and this one did not disappoint! I also love the Monaco but the décor at the Palomar is more to my taste....subdued earth tones. The room was very comfortable and I was happy that I could adjust the temperature and fan for cool sleeping conditions. The location was superb as well, near Rittenhouse Square and a great new coffee shop "Joe". The hotel lobby is very inviting with a nice cozy fireplace. The staff was very friendly and accommodating at the hotel and "Square 1682" the hotel's bar/restaurant. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I stayed on a higher floor twice and never had an issue getting an elevator.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Truannsi
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Truannsi,

We appreciate you continuing to come back! Glad to see you find the rooms comfortable and the staff to be accommodating. I'll be sure to share your feedback with them. Hope to see you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Every member of staff from the front door, the valet parking, the reception desk, the restaurant, and staff encountered in the public areas were especially warm, welcoming, and professional -- eager to offer a greeting and assistance. The hotel itself, the quality and appointments and high level of housekeeping, and amenities are all very much in favor of the hotel, but it’s the Palomar’s staff and their evident pride in their work that makes the hotel remarkable.

Calling in advance of the stay to make some changes in the booking was a pleasure, and all staff gave the impression that it was a pleasure to see to guest requests. The hotel provides excellent communications confirming reservations, welcoming guests on upcoming stays, and following up after stays to ensure that all was satisfactory.

The Palomar is located in the elegant 1929-1931 Architects Building, a slender 24+ story office tower designed by architect Paul Cret exhibiting refined Art Deco detailing -- with overlays of Kimpton Hotel style in the lobby and some of the public spaces. Rooms are nicely furnished and appointed, and all spaces spotlessly maintained. The "Cityview Queen Deluxe" room 2205 had two queen beds and not an enormous amount of space leftover, but had high ceilings and especially large windows with a handsome skyline view north to the Comcast Tower and other modern office towers. The lavatory was nicely appointed, stocked with many extra towels and and well considered amenities. The room was quiet as was the hotel generally, despite a sometimes busy lobby. Pets are welcomed.

The location at 17th and Sansom Streets is great, barely a block to Rittenhouse Square and convenient to everything in Center City. The hotel restaurant is quite good; coffee and hot chocolate and tea are are available mornings in the lobby, and wine in the early evening.

On its physical merits, it would be a fine hotel, but it's the kind and thoughtful staff that distinguish the place.

Room Tip: There is some variety in guest room types as laid out in the hotel website and staff seem attentive...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robert W
Dear 1836,

What a thoughtful and kind review. Thank you very much for your business and recommendation. Please come back and see us next time you find yourself in Philadelphia. We're looking forward to it!

Best,

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

In short, this hotel seems designed to ensure guests enjoy themselves in a way that its more corporate competitors do not.

All the staff we encountered seemed genuinely friendly and operated efficiently, whilst always having time to chat with the guests.

Touches like the free hot chocolate, coffee in the morning and wine hour in the early evening worked really well for us and made a real difference to our stay.

As we were traveling with our just-turned-3 year old who naps during the day (plus 11+ hours at night), we opted for a 1 bedroom suite so we didn't have to tip toe around whilst she slept. The room was great; very specious with a large spa bath which, to the 3 year old's delight, comfortably fit the 3 of us in at once.

Only downsides were traffic noise, a room thermostat which appeared to go into eco mode whilst we slept, meaning we work up cold (we asked for extra blankets after the first night as there wasn't much in the way of bedding) and a very cold lobby (it was obscenely cold outside and the heating system couldn't cope) until some additional heaters were brought in.

In all, really enjoyed this hotel and would certainly recommend to others.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor, above the entrance and the road noise was noticeable.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Onedsla,

We absolutely try our best to create a comfortable home away from home for our guest's. I'm so pleased to read you found that during your stay. Thank you for the great review. Look forward to having you back.

Lexington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

It was a cold January day as I made my way down the wind-whipped streets of Philadelphia, heading toward the Hotel Palomar near Rittenhouse Square. From about half a block away, I saw the awning with Ben Franklin's friendly face and knew I was close. When I walked in, the fireplace to my right was a happy sight, and I sat for a moment, enjoying both the fire and the surroundings. This place makes you want to just sit in the lobby and lose yourself in the glow of the fire. The staff was fun and great to deal with as I checked in, and they were able to find a high floor for me (even though I was initially given a lower room). The room was generally quiet (trucks nearby during the night broke the quiet...not the hotel's fault) and a pleasure to spend time in. I recommend this for its location, its staff, and its ambiance.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the side away from the alley, but the "alley side" wasn't awful.
Green Features: They go beyond the typical "we care about the environment" with their approach to reuse and conservation.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Thisishal,

Wish I was by the fireplace right now!! Thanks for such great feedback and recommendation.

Hope to see you again soon,

State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

It does not get any more "central location" than this hotel, yet the rooms are quiet and you cannot hear the noise of the city. The reception works very effectively: the place is busy (perhaps thanks to its aggressive marketing and advertising campaigns) but the reception seems to deal with the people professionally and quickly.
Checking in was hassle-free. The lobby is nice and inviting, there is free hot chocolate (by the way, there is free 5 o'clock wine) and this attracts a lot of people to this otherwise cozy lobby, perhaps too many, so beware of this hour!
This hotel runs many promotions and I would recommend either using TripAdvisor or other major hotel reservation sites (except for hotels.com - they have there own policies about promotions, I guess) and you will get this deal or that: discount on a stay, a $1 breakfast or something else advertised through the online booking systems. However, you need to book the deal at the time you make the hotel reservations (and sometimes these deals are not available on the hotel website, so search online!) We got some discount on our room and then I saw a $1 breakfast promotion right before we came to Philadelphia. Well, it does not apply. However, the hotel staff gave us two coupons for a free continental breakfast. This is a great breakfast, but it turns out you can actually upgrade to a regular breakfast at the restaurant itself (we did not choose to do it). However, beware that the portions are huge and one regular breakfast may be enough for two people. Price-wise it is very reasonable, too, especially considering location.
The room was nice, with all the amenities that one would expect.
I would recommend making parking inquiries before you get to the hotel unless yo don't mind paying around $40 per night. Parking downtown Philly can be hard. DO NOT leave your car "I was away for just 2 minutes" because you will be ticketed. Read the parking signs on the street: paid metered parking has different hours in different places, it is even 24 hours in certain spots downtown. We parked at $17 per day lot located 4 blocks away. Patriot parking around 21 and Sansom streets, no in and out privileges, though.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dmitri K
DmitriPortland_OR,

Great tips! Keep in mind, if you ever find a better deal on a different website, give us a call! As long as we can see what you see, we'll match it. Thanks for taking the time to detail out your experience. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Palomar for one night for business. I was given a great room with a fantastic view, but honestly, the most impressive part of the hotel was the service. The front desk staff provided really great service throughout my short stay. They gave me great restaurant recommendations for a work dinner and really bent over backwards to make me feel comfortable. One desk agent in particular (I forget his name, but he worked in the evening) went above and beyond in helping me out with my requests. Overall, the staff was exceptional and deserve the high rating.
But in general, the hotel is really well located, the rooms are beautiful and comfortable and the service is impeccable. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: King room was really comfortable
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Labellhu,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments about our staff. I'll be sure to forward your review on to them. Glad you felt comfortable in our home. Hopefully we'll see you again next time you're in town.

Cheers,