“What A Room!!!!!!!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Redding, Connecticut
“What A Room!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Okay, we kind of "lucked out" when we walked into our room at this KIMPTON hotel on S17th Street in Philadelphia. A corner room with classic octagonal corner windows overlook S17th Street and Sansom Streets in West City Center. A great restaurant downstairs, free coffee in the mornings in the lobby and a wine-happy-hour every afternoon until 6pm. Be sure to join the KIMPTON "In-Touch Club" and get your WIFI in your room free and other amenities, ask the clerk about the club. This is the third KIMPTON property we have stayed in and we were NOT disappointed. Great staff, that could not do enough for you, especially the Bell Staff. VERY PET FRIENDLY.............

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...........
Green Features: They have towel management to minimize the impact of laundering the towels, like many other hotels now have.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Joejanet1991,

I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the Hotel, Restaurant, and most importantly the staff. Thank you for sharing the tips on Kimpton InTouch! Hope to see you again soon.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar from Saturday-Monday for a wedding. We got the rooms as part of a wedding block, but if I'm traveling to a city that has a Kimpton, I'll almost assuredly be staying there.

My wife and I brought our 4 year old terrier mix with us, as we were excited to stay at a pet-friendly hotel. From the moment we arrived, the experience was amazing. The doorman greeted us, and then our dog, as he held the door, and the front desk staff made it a point of learning our dogs name, greeting him, and assuring us they would do all they can to make both ours and our pets stay as comfortable as possible.

We got up to the room and waiting for us was truffled popcorn (which was amazing), as well as fresh baked dog treats and a note stating that our dog had been chosen as VIP pet of the day. This handwritten note was just an amazing little touch. We thought they just did this for all pets that check in, but it turns out this wasn't the case at all.

We had dinner in the hotel for the wedding that evening, and my wife received a call to inform us that someone had called and said our dog was barking in our room. Not to complain, but simply to alert the staff. When you sign in with a pet, you sign a waiver stating you give the staff the right to go into your room and collect your dog if they are creating a nuisance and they will watch him at the front desk (for a fee if they have to go into your room). All the staff are trained to deal with pets, and all seem to love them as well. You are also contacted first in case you want to come back for your pet.

My wife went up to the room and took our dog for a walk. When she walked back into the hotel, the front staff offered to watch him, but my wife tried to say she'd just take him back up to the room. They insisted on watching him because he was "So cute" (which he totally is). He was with them for 3 hours, and they didn't charge us for it. It was just so comforting to know that there was that added layer of care for him.

The rest of the stay went off without a hitch, and I just can't say enough amazing things about the staff or the hotel itself. The location is awesome (1 block away from Rittenhouse Square), the bar in the hotel is top notch (A bit heavy on the vermouth in their Manhattan though), and overall just an amazing experience. They have earned a client for as long as there is a Kimpton where I'm traveling.

Room Tip: If you don't want to stay on a pet friendly floor, they have pet free floors.
2 Thank Haarpoon
Dear Haarpoon,

You've become part of our family and we can't wait to have you back! Thanks for letting us hang with the pup for a few hours and for sharing this awesome review. Glad you enjoyed your experience with us.

See you soon,
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was in Philadelphia for the NCAA Frozen Four championship and we chose the Palomar because of it's central location in Philly. Close to restaurants, town center, subway, and all the sights of Philly. The staff was super friendly, helpful, and accommodating. They were basically our family for 5 days. I can't say enough about the excellent service and the wonderful room with comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Nana, Austin, Caroline, and all the staff were wonderful!

Room Tip: I had the King Spa room and really enjoyed the spa tub each night after walking the streets of Phila...
Dear Patricia L,

When are you coming home next?! It was awesome to meet you. Thanks for letting us help create such great memories for you. We're awaiting your return - come back soon!

Chappaqua, NY
Reviewed 14 April 2014

First went to the Palomar last summer when my son was looking at UPenn. We picked it because it was close to UPenn and allowed us to bring our dog. Well my son was accepted there and we went back to Philadelphia for accepted students day. We came with out dog again. Looks like my son will be going to school there, so the Palomar will be our home away from home. Great location, great service, great decor. Love the free wine and popcorn at 5 and the free coffee in the morning that is served in the lobby. This is a great place to stay for Upenn parents. It is a quick sack up Walnut to the campus and yet you are removed from the college scene of University City. Looking forward to going back.

Dear Chappaqua3,

Congrats on your sons acceptance into UPenn, what an accomplishment! Thanks for continuing to stay with us. We look forward to many more visits over the next four years. See you soon!

Cheers!
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stay here frequently on business and I love everything about this hotel. It's convenient, in the middle of city center. It's in an old building, so the rooms are cute and quirky. The staff is great, and by now they know my name and speak to me when I pass through the lobby. There's a yoga mat in my room, and the yoga channel on tv. And coffee in the lobby in the morning to pick out. All around great.

Room Tip: Get one with the spa tub.
Green Features: I really appreciate Kimpton's dedication to the environment. It's part of what makes this hotel chain great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jill V,

We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Hotel. I'm sure our mutual friend [yoga] Mat doesn't mind the visits either! He's a fairly new addition to our guest rooms so it's nice to hear you enjoy his company!

See you soon,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I had theater tickets for Phantom at the Academy of Music 8pm show and decided to stay overnight on 4/11. Normal check in at most hotels is 4pm but at the Palomar it's 3pm. Upon check-in I was given my room keys and a $10 coupon for either the bar next store or the mini bar. Lamar checked me in; he was very nice and professional. Our room was on the 22nd floor right near the elevators. At first I was not happy because ai was worried about the noise but upon entering our room I noticed are beds aren't right near the door so that made me feel better. I stayed with my sister so we had 2 queen beds. There is a large closet containing ironing board and iron, two bath robes and an umbrella. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and never did they supply an umbrella. The bathroom is large and there were the usual hotel soap and shampoo plus hair dryer. The shower came with a hand held shower head in case you prefer to use that instead of the regular shower. The bed was comfortable; not a lot of bedding which is fine with me. The 2 pillows are very soft; would have liked something less mushy. There is a 36 inch tv and mini bar. The mini beer didn't have many choices but we did get a club soda and water which didn't cost us anything because we used our $10 coupon. There is a table with outlets for various computers/tablets. There is also an iHome docking bay on the shared bedside table. There is plenty of drawer space. The one thing I would suggest is a coffee maker. Even though they have complimentary coffee in the lobby I would prefer to have my coffee in my room.

Since it was a late night for us we decided to get breakfast in our room. We completed the menu and requested breakfast be delivered between 9am and 9:30am (it arrived at 9am). I had pancakes with sausage on side. The pancakes were delish. My sister ordered scrambled eggs with bacon: her dish came with potatoes. We also ordered a small pot of coffee and one glass of tomato juice. My sister enjoyed her eggs which also came with 4 pieces of toast. The small coffee serves 2 people 2 full cups a piece. The juice was served in an ice tea glass. There is a $5.00 delivery charge and 18% gratuity but even with these charges our bill was only $38. I couldn't believe. I stayed at other hotels where a meal like this would be double that amount and not taste as good.

I usually like to express checkout but since we had the coupon we checked out at the front desk. The woman was very pleasant and asked if we enjoyed our stay. When I told her it was great she said "I'm pleased to hear it". That's customer service for you. I'm so very glad I chose to stay here and plan on several return trips in the near future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank PhillyJaxs
Dear PhillyJaxs,

I'm so thrilled to read you enjoyed your first visit with us. Thank for you sharing your experience. There are a number of great shows in this summer's theater line-up too. Hope we see you soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

There is much to recommend about this hotel. The best is the staff. They are some of the most professional and sincere we have ever encountered. Full marks for management for hiring, training and motivating. The afternoon wine tasting (with accompanying snacks - especially the truffle popcorn) sets this apart from most hotels. It has a funky cosy vibe that is very welcoming and inviting. The restaurant off the lobby is excellent. Very good location.

However I don't believe all the positive reviews on this hotel are being truly balanced. The hotel is starting to look ever so slightly "frayed". You know when notice the little things: the bumpers under the glass on the coffee table (that are to prevent the top from wobbling) are missing, up in the corner of the ceiling of the bathroom the paint was peeling, the mattress (which was hard) has begun to sag?

The hotel is "pet friendly". There were several dogs in the property while we we there. I do not object to people travelling with their pets but I expect to be given the option of being on a no pet floor / no pet room. My associate and his wife were with us (as the trip was primarily for business). He suffers from allergies. At the business meeting the first morning neither of us could figure out why he was in such rough condition, until we realized he was staying in a room that had had a dog in it the night before,

Finally - and while not directly related to the hotel - I would advise asking their housekeeping if they have changed the dry cleaner, since April 13, 14. I had two of three shirts damaged. The hotel was very apologetic and had them repaired and sent them by Fedex to our next hotel. This was appreciated - but without giving too much detail about the damage I would be very cautious of using their service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sharrob
Dear Sharrob,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff. We do genuinely try to deliver a superior level of customer service. Also, we are so sorry about the shirt situation. I have personally discussed your challenges with our provider, who does generally do a wonderful job for both the guest and employee dry cleaning needs. I do hope the repair was to your satisfaction. Please feel welcome to reach out to me directly if you find yourself back in Philadelphia.