“Friendly staff, clean rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly staff, clean rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Friends and I stayed at the Philly Hotel Palomar because it was near several sites that we wanted to visit. The staff was polite, friendly and made us feel welcome. Hotel parking is a bit expensive $40/night), but I suspect it's cheaper than driving around the city and paying valet parking and garage parking. I love the little touches this hotel offers guest: wine hour, lemonade and soft pretzels upon arrival. My friends loved that the hotel was pet friendly.

The next time I am in the Philly area I will consider the Hotel Palomar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ladyt
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Ladyt,

Great to see we were able to add some fun touches to your weekend away! Parking in the city is certainly steep but hopefully the valet service made coming and going painless. Come back and see us soon for another fun getaway.

Cheers!
James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I would not agree with all of the glorious reviews here; we usually stay at Sofitel across the street which always exceeds my expectations with rooms and service but it was sold out; Palomar however is just an unusual hype and I'm not certain why.
Rooms are tiny, view is non-existent, I don't event want a view but the building across literally blocks all the daylight.
Room was poorly cleaned, I'm not certain if I'm staying at one of the 'pet-friendly' rooms but there is a bit of unwanted hair on the floor, fortunately I'm able to contain my allergies.

Sunday morning called to ask for a late check-out, an extra hour is $50, two hours is $100, while I'm certain the hotel isn't fully sold.

Valet was quick to pinpoint and circle the $42 dollar parking fee; I know, kind sir, but my package includes parking.

During the checking I am told we'll place you on a high floor, excellent, I thought, I get the keys and it's a 12th fl in a 25 stories high building.

I don't care about these little things, true or not, but don't disinform the patrons.
No comment on the sleep comfort - won't be coming back. Thank you, Kimpton.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rrazzorr
Rrazzorr,

The team works deligently to deliver a superior product and service and it saddens me to hear you didn't experience that. I'm so sorry for the shortcomings mentioned. We will absolutely review them as we work to improve. We aim to retain all our guests and I'd love to welcome you back next time. Please reach out to me directly if I can be of any future assistance.

Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We've enjoyed past stays at Kimpton properties and did find much to enjoy about the Hotel Palomar. The hotel was ideally located for our family's three-day stay in Philadelphia and the whirlpool tub in our room was a hit with our family. However, we left disappointed with the hotel largely because of several small things that, taken together, diminished our overall hotel experience.

We booked a one-bedroom suite (bedroom and adjacent room with pull-out bed/couch) to accommodate our family (two parents/two kids). After an early evening check-in, we headed out to dinner with a quick stop at the front desk to request bed linens and pillows for the pull-out bed. The very friendly front desk staff told us the pull-out bed would be made up and ready for the kids upon our return. Instead, we found two sheets, a blanket, and one pillow (for two kids) upon our return to the room. We had no problem making the bed but we felt the lack of attention to this small detail to be less than the Kimpton standard.

We spent the following day touring historical Philadelphia (well worth the visit) and returned to our room at 5:30 p.m. to discover that housekeeping had missed our room entirely--the room was as we had left it that morning. We made both beds and found someone that evening to provide us with fresh towels. Again, not what we expected from a Kimpton property.

Two other items worth mentioning: First, over our three day stay, our bathroom sink was very slow to drain. We pointed it out this morning upon check-out. Secondly, during what should have been a relaxing morning work-out at the hotel fitness center, four young children (unsupervised, very loud, and under the age of 10) showed up and began climbing on the fitness equipment. Where were their parents?! To say the least, it was very disruptive to the several adults who were working out. I was not the only adult to leave prior to finishing my morning workout.

Again, the hotel location was ideal and the staff was friendly but we found the lack of execution on several fronts to be very unusual for Kimpton. It's especially ironic because we stayed at the Hotel Palomar based upon previous Trip Advisor reviews.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EDVirginia
Dear EdVirginia,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced. They are certainly unusual for us and completely not up to standard. Your feedback has been shared with the housekeeping team as they work to iron out any holes in the system. Please contact me when you return to town. Looking forward to the opportunity to turn this experience around!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I spent a weekend at this amazing hotel with my 13 year-old twins, Christopher and Matthew. We had a great time. The staff, especially Nicki, added to our wonderful experience! I even sent them to the restaurant for dessert. They shared ice-cream and the waitress added in some free cookies. Their recommendations were great. We went to Sabrina's for french toast, Devil's Ally for burgers & fries, went to the Franklin Institute, Rittenhouse Park, Mason building, shopped, had donuts and were SPOILED by the wonderful staff!!!! The boys also enjoyed the jet tub! We're going back! I'd love to go with my husband or for a girls weekend. Or maybe with my 27 & -5 year old sons!!!! So much fun. And we got to pet all kinds of dogs. There is also a wine reception and Nicki provided my twins with soft pretzels and lemonade!!!! There is also hot popcorn. This is a must go to hotel. Promise!

Room Tip: We were in a suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan F
Susan F,

Great to see Nikki was able to help create long lasting memories for you and the twins! I'll be sure to share your comments with her. You've got to come back and see us soon - no special occasion needed!

Until then,
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent customer service from check-in to Check- out! Celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary & loved every moment here! Concierge send complimentary bottle of champagne! Walking distance to Everything u need, Very clean, classy, modern decor. Arielle & Austin & Kevin were the best. Thank you so much! We'll be back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KevNRa,

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for celebrating with us! Let's make it a tradition!

See you next year,
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed in Philly for my husband's birthday. We reserved a King Spa Room. As always kimpton does it right, the whirlpool tub was HUGE and the window with a view of Philly in the bathroom was awesome. the staff left us a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival. We were also given drink tokens to use at the hotel bar. Everybody is always so nice at kimpton hotels, that's why I continually stay with this chain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Prutoo,

Thanks for your continued loyalty. We love welcoming you back each time. Come back and relax with us again soon.

Burbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location. Easy to find if you're walking from train station. Walking distance to Rittenhouse Square and tons of really cool restaurants along the way. The hotel is near many of the popular sights and attractions.

Staff is courteous and helpful with directions, calling a cab and offering suggestions of what to do and where to go.

• Stayed September 2013
MISSYRN2B,

Great to see you were able to enjoy the neighborhood. Rittenhouse Square has so much to offer, we're lucky to be in the backyard. Thanks for the feedback and great review. We hope to have you back soon.

Cheers!