“Fantastic Hotel with Great Service”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Knutsford, Cheshire
“Fantastic Hotel with Great Service”
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Great location, 5 min cab from Train Station(which is pretty amazing place).
It is a very High narrow hotel so I can imagine when it is full, reception could be tricky as its pretty small.
Décor as always is impeccable with standard Free wine in the afternoons. And free WI FI throughout.
We upgraded using the last minute estandby upgrade scheme (You book the room you want and then if better rooms become available they email you a couple of days before offering you an potential upgrade at a much cheaper rate than at the original booking) We also did this at the INK48 hotel in New York. You are not guaranteed the room but if its available the day before you get a better room at a cheaper cost. We were in a Spa King Room and it was one of the nicest rooms we have had (until we stayed in a the Kimpton INK48 in New York)
Massive room with amazing bathroom (see photo) with views over Philadelphia. There was lots of light through big windows and more than adequate blinds to give you privacy.
Staff were friendly and efficient as they normally are at Kimpton Hotels. I must mention Clint on Reception who was about as helpful as you can get. He booked a SEGWAY tour which was great fun and interesting(remember sun block though). If the management read this then please pass on our thanks to him. He was perfect. Very professional yet friendly which is always a fine balance. He even set up an account to book the tour online for us.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 13 May 2010
Dear knutsford1,
Just wanted to say a big thank you for reviewing your stay at the Hotel Palomar Philadelphia. I'm glad you found our hotel comfortable with a great location and friendly staff members. I will certainly pass on your compliments to Clint! Thanks again, and happy travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
nyc
Reviewed 3 May 2010

The price is right. The rooms are smallish. Good beds. Great location. This is a good hotel if you are traveling solo (the rooms and bathrooms are tight for couples) or on a budget.

A more interesting version of the Sofitel across the street.

Very good service.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank I1240DMdanielr
HamiltonParish, Bermuda
Reviewed 28 April 2010

very modern hotel- but had a bad experience
no service in room for the duration of the stay - stayed 2 nights
requested an extra rooom - when we approached reservations were told no room - hotel overbooked - very inapporpriate, considering we had pre-booked when we checked in the previous day- young manager was not effective in handling us - poor people skills
young lady acted as though she had had not made initial booking
sent to another destination around corner and they were not even notified of our arrival
parties had to split locations for the night after having a wonderful experience at the Penn Relays

Tried to compemnsate by giving us the free room/ voucher for the future but this still has put a poor taste in our mouths
We were ready to recommend hotel highlly to fellow Bermudians who are so well travelled
Brush up on the managemenyt skills so that you do no lose potential visitors
Most disgusted - after initially looking forward to a pleasant stay

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank harty_10
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2010

If you're looking for a great weekend away from the city the hotel Palomar is the place for you...at first I was concerned based on previous reviews. The room has a good space and the bathroom is very unique too. Great bar...and the front desk staff knew the ideal place for me and my friend to go for dinner. Next time you're in philadelphia you have to go to the continental! The only con is the eco friendly setting...a little too eco friendly. We couldn't seem to get the temperature setting right but the neighborhood is great with shopping right around the corner. I will defiinitely stay there again! Thanks Hotel Palomar!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sexyanne
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2010

This hotel was well rated on this site and I couldn't have been happier with my stay. The hotel was located right in the center of a very nice shopping area. When I arrived, they were serving delicious hot chocolate and warm pretzels in the lobby. This was followed by wine.
The room was very clean and comfortable. The service was excellent.
One thing... room service was very expensive and I didn't think my breakfast was worth it. Otherwise, I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank laurenj1978
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 28 April 2010
Dear laurenj1978,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us at the Hotel Palomar Philadelphia. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room to be clean and comfortable. I do apologize that the room service didn't quite meet the standards we try to maintain, and I will be sure to let the room service manager know so that we can address the issue. We hope that you'll choose to stay with us again when you're back in Philadelphia and until then happy travels!
Gardner, Kansas
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel on April 21 in room 1607. I usually stay at the Crown Plaza or the Westin when I'm in town, but they were booked, so I gave this hotel a try. The hotel is new, so the rooms don't have that well-worn look of many hotels, and the rooms are nicely furnished.

Their fitness center is nice and up-to-date, although I couldn't find the plug-in for my headphones (but that's probably my own ignorance). They do supply extra headphones, as well as apples and oranges, which is a nice touch). There is also a bathroom in the fitness center, which can come in handy. There needs to be better air circulation though -- there are no fans on the equipment or otherwise, so it can be a bit stuffy.

That being said, the service needs some improvements, particularly room service. When I called room service to order dinner, the phone just rang and rang....never had that happen before at any hotel. I called the front desk clerk, who said that he would have room service call me, but they never did, so I called them again and finally got served. Then the next morning, I ordered breakfast. I asked if toast comes with what I ordered, and the girl said yes. Well, when my breakfast came (late), there was no toast. So, I had to call room service again. Well, 20 minutes passed and I was starting to run short on time, so I called and told them to forget the toast. The toast showed up anyway...so I had to deal with that....."No, thank you I don't want the toast....No, really....I don't have time for it....Goodbye." They really need to do better in their room service. I probably wouldn't stay here again for this reason.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah L
South Kent, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 April 2010

When you show up close to 5:30 PM, you don't expect to be told that your room isn't ready yet. There are a lot of staff people running around this hotel, but few of them actually seem to be doing anything. (Why weren't they making up the rooms?) Still, the Gensler designed interior is very attractive. There's a good bar/restaurant downstairs. The location is good. And, there are bargains to be had as far as the rates are concerned. However, all things considered, I might go back to the Alexander Inn the next time I'm in Philly.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family