“Fantastic is every way!”
Review of Vietnam Palace

Vietnam Palace
Ranked #753 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I would love to say that I have sampled everything on this vast menu, but I am stuck on the pho, soup, salads and appetizers. The hot soups are beautiful and satisfying and soulful. They come with a variety of garnishes - mint, basil, hot peppers, bean sprouts - and one can enhance to one's palate. I tried a virgin Viet mojito - club soda, ginger, mint, lime and basil - which was refreshing and light. I am in Philly twice a year, and return to the Vietnam Palace at least twice each visit.

1  Thank bosch1500

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I visited by myself, I enjoyed the hot pot with sliced beef and the fresh salad of different shredded vegetables with a sweet and sour dressing. service was ok. It was a rainy day, so not too many guests.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

I held my son's wedding rehearsal dinner for 62 persons this past Saturday evening at Vietnam Palace. Plans for dinner were almost exclusively made with the restaurant manager Tracy via the telephone. The food was very plentiful and scrumptious. The meal started with vegetarian spring rolls and a squid dish that was lightly dusted with spices.. Sautéed chicken kabobs were moist and wonderfully flavorful in a lemongrass sauce. Vegetarians enjoyed the vegetable and tofu dish and a steamed chicken and Chinese vegetable dish was abailable for huests who wanted food served without salt or spices. Desserts were delicious, varied and included green tea ice cream, rice pudding, and coconut ices served in a coconut! Good was served family style.

A private room was available on the second floor. Fresh linens add a festive formal touch. Unfortunately the 13 steps that lead up to a lovely windowed room make it difficult to access for anyone with a handicap.

Alcohol was served from a well stocked bar . To my surprise and dismay, the bar tender put out a bowl for tips even though I was paying the tab. This faux pas was caught at some point and ended. A microphone was made available for speeches.

The only problem was that the service was very slow. Dinner didn't start for about 45 minutes after guests arrived and there were long waits between courses。Most guests missed the delicious desserts because of the long wait and late hour.

1  Thank utterna
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Found this place on a recent stay in Philly looking for something in walking distance of our hotel. A very happy discovery.very nice decor and ambiance- really pleasant. A small thing but I appreciated the real chopsticks instead of the dispo variety so often used. We had the spring rolls and they arrived hot and delicious with the traditional dipping sauce that we kicked up with some sriracha. The papaya salad was wonderful too and very generous. Three of us shared it as an appetizer and there was plenty. For mains, I had crispy noodles with shrimp and vegetables which was tasty but my husband had the beef curry which was really delicious. My son had the Thai iced tea with his meal and enjoyed that. Good old coconut ice cream for dessert. Prices were very reasonable and service was pretty good too. All in all a good find I would definitely return to.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

This is a wonderful restaurant on the fringes of Chinatown and the convention center in downtown Philadelphia. The 2 times I ate there on my recent trip, I was completely happy. The menu was filled with yummy choices and everything (well, almost everything) i tasted was fabulous. The food was fresh, seasoned wonderfully and delicious. The prices are reasonable and the ambiance is very nice. The first night I was there was on a weekend evening, sothere was a little bit of a wait - but not a long one...and there was a nice bar. The 2nd visit was on a Monday - and we got right in. This restaurant is a gem. I will go there again, whenever I am in town.