“Great to come back to the Italian Market after 30 plus years and see that some of my old favorites were still there!”
Review of Italian Market

Italian Market
Book In Advance
US$30.00*
Iconic 9th Street Italian Market Experience Tour in Philadelphia
US$40.00*
and up
South Philly Culture Tour Including 9th Street Italian Market and Magic Gardens...
US$55.00*
Philadelphia Segway Tour
Ranked #59 of 450 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: A colorful outdoor market specializing in Italian foodstuffs.
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Very much enjoyed coming back to visit the Italian Market after a 30 plus year absence.I especially loved that Claudios was still there and that I could still get their delicious string cheese. Everyone working there is still as friendly and helpful as ever and made me feel like I lived in the neighborhood and shopped there all the time. I also found out that you can order from Claudios anytime and have it shipped to your home. We also stopped at Sarcones Bakery for a chocolate chip cannoli. The outside was nice and crispy and the filling was creamy and wonderful! We stopped in a few more Italian places and enjoyed visiting with the locals. Yes, there are a few shops now not run by Italians but there are enough that I was so glad to make this return visit.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank bigthicket

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Not What It Was but Still Worth It”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I don’t know when they started calling 9th Street “The Italian Market.” Maybe it was during the 70’s with the coming of the bicentennial. When I was growing up, 9th Street was simply 9th Street. In those days the wooden carts were rolled on big wooden wagon wheels. The yellows and reds and greens that mounded atop them pocked the canvas of the eye like the rainbow dabs of a pointillist painting. Behind the carts in the open stall shop fronts, live chickens and lambs cackled and bleated in their wooden crates and pens, to accompany the hucksters cries of “ten for a dollar,” “15 cents a pound.” In summer the smell of manure and livestock headily perfumed the air held dense beneath the shop awnings. In winter orange flames fed by broken fruit crates erupted like gushing lava from blackened steel barrels stationed along the length of the street.
In my mind’s eye I still see 9th Street at a child’s height looking up to the carts, reaching my fingers into the chicken cages, peering over the stalls to see the lamb’s eyes meet my own. That 9th Street is long gone. While I still enjoy my excursions to 9th Street, especially to D’Angelo Brothers, the fish mongers and the well informed cheese staff at Di Bruno’s, I must admit that the street is indeed marred by too many junk sellers. These days the West side of the street is devoid of produce vendors. Parking is easier that you think if you take a moment to survey the area. The best place that I always use is the free lot on the North side of Christian between 8th and 9th.’
Before I begin my shopping I go to the back machine on the next corner. Hucksters on 9th St expect cash. My shopping excursion begins at 9th and Christian. I walk along 9th to Washington Ave. This first walk is the examination and comparison. On the walk up I keep prices and quality in my head. I do my buying on the way back. To read and see more about 9th Street, Philadelphia, “Italian Market” go to http://www.daytraveller.net/2013/08/30/9th-street-philadelphia-the-italian-market/
The old 9th Street is long gone, but if you have a taste for something beyond, something closer to real meats and fish, pasta and cheese, there is no comparison

Visited September 2013
3 Thank TonyDM
Palmetto, Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A Taste of Not Just Italy”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Every trip to Philadelphia includes at least some time at the Italian Market. I have spent hours going in and out of shops, or just a fast run through to my favorites. On this most recent trip, we started around the corner at Pat's Cheesesteaks (why does anyone like Geno's?) before spending about 1.5 hours hitting my favorite places. Espositio's: when we time our trip right, we pick up a darling turduckhen roast, frozen to bring back for the holidays and priced/sized right to be an addition to your Turkey not a replacement. (Thanksgiving and Easter is when they are available). This trip we picked up a gorgeous Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Pork Sausage and some Hatfield Phillies. The store is staffed with South Philly Characters. And on this trip, someone was having a birthday, because the cute, older gentleman went in the back and sliced me a piece of amaretto birthday cake. Mmmmmm He made me promise not to sing Happy Birthday! :) The trip also included (like always) pricey stops at DiBruno's and Claudio's Cheese shops. You can taste ANYTHING you want. DiBruno's offers the tastes, Claudio's you have to ask. Between the two shops we came out $60 lighter in the wallet, but rich in beautiful cheeses. The rest of the market has many butcher shops specializing in seafood, poultry or pork, several Bodega style places, and even a used book/music store and a bike shop. Plenty of photo opportunities in this neighborhood. A real taste of multi-cultural South Philly. It's not just Italian anymore.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Jennifer J
Rockaway, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not that I expected”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Perhaps I just don't "get it" but this market is nothing that I expected it to be. It was more like Chinatown in NY - a lot of fresh fruit stands on the street with small shops here and there. I didn't experience anything that made me feel like I wanted to return.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Toyatravels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Cheap produce. Close to Geno's and Pat's.”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

For dessert we picked up 7 plums and two apples for $1.50. It is too bad that we didn't have access to a kitchen because the fish, crabs and clams all looked good as well.

Visited July 2013