“Dirty and Trashy”

Ranked #75 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Grafton, North Dakota, United States
“Dirty and Trashy”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Totally agree with previous reviews-wish I had read them before booking. All had difficulty checking in -many still didn't have rooms at midnight. The halls smelled and were dirty with construction materials lying around. 1 room door wouldn't close without a screwdriver. One elevator out of order and 2nd one out part of time. No restaurant or lounge. No frig or microwave. Bathrooms had missing sink handles and shower hard to turn on and regulate temp. Most rooms in our group were not clean or even vacuumed. Outlets not working and wires hanging from heaters. Has this place passed any inspections?
You could walk to sports, but it was a long walk -and only in good weather. Shuttle to airport ok, but not available for anywhere else.

Room Tip: We had 7 rooms in our group and all were bad. All other guests we talked to had the same type or wor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This hotel should not be on any website. We booked thru southwest.com expecting a moderatte hotel for 3 stars.
They had overbooked and we didn't know if we had rooms until midnight. Then the rooms were dirty and in need of many repairs. Electrical to plumbing to elevator service repair.There was suppose to be a bar, restaurant, microwave,fridge none of which were there.
We would definitely rate this as one of the three worst hotels we have ever stayed at and we have traveled alot.
Please take this hotel off booking sites until it has been totally renovated and checked out. Shame on Ramada for even renting these rooms out in there present conditions.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I will be staying at this hotel in approximately two weeks April 27th through the 29th and the Philly area hotels seemed to be slim for the picking. After reading these negative comments and becoming worried I called and spoke to a very courteous gentleman named Steve. Steve assured us that we will be happy with our room as he will make sure he locates us on the newly renovated 14th floor. This hotel seems like a great deal for those who are on a budget and I really appreciate Steve's extra help with the reservation - Thanks!

Room Tip: Call ahead to ensure your comfy accommodations!! Talk o Steve
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bizerk31701
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed here months before what a (CHANGE) the lobby look like it hasn't been moped in months. I was checked out within half hours walk in a room on the 15 floor which I stay before it was suppose to be clean (not ) I was suppose to stay for 3 nights. After I checked the sheets just to find men's under wear in the middle of the bed the bed skirt have a hug whole in it where I found use condom I could have vomit right there, the rug look like it haven't been vacuumed or shampooed bathroom was dirty trash left in the can. Piled up trash in the hallways. I seen a housekeeper name( Chneatl) she's was very rude for someone who works with customers so ask her who's your supervisor she says I am! so I take her back in the room to show her the problems she just laugh so I ask her what was so funny no apology she say I know who did this room still laughing like it funny. So go's down to report her and the problems and checkout older African American lady just clueless as every she asking me what the problem and I told her several times I think she was drunk I ask for manager she tell me they all just left for the day how nice. Even if this place is the last resort DO NOTCHANCE IT like the last reviewer said.

I really believe that this location should be pulled from booking websites until Ramada can verify that the entire building has been renovated that means the cleaners and management.

Room Tip: Clean room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank karen k
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It seems that this location has been purchased by the Ramada recently. It was once the Skyview Plaza Hotel.

When you enter the hotel you are immediately met with plastic sheets blowing in your face. There was attempt to sections off the “under construction” section of the first floor. They were not very successful.

After checking in I made my way over to the elevators. The inside of the elevators were lined with what appeared to be cave drawings and initials of the many guests that have stayed at the hotel in the past. Luckily, I made it to the 8th floor.

I entered the room and the accommodations were beyond belief. The rugs were thick with dirt and the room smelled.

The actual bedding covered the mattress, unfortunately the box spring was bare and the plastic corner protectors were separating from the bed exposing the metal staples.

Two of the electrical outlets in the room didn’t work. One outlet actually came out of the wall when I removed the plug. There seemed to be 2-dozen Wireless access point non-of-which worked. (I was tryig to look for alternate lodging options.)

None of my personal effects ever made it to the bed or the floor. Without any doubt a night in the bed would have resulted in me bringing home an infestation of some type.

Imagine an episode of CSI in which a drug ring had been busted for cooking meth in a local motel. That is the feeling I got during my very brief stay in the hotel.

I was checked out within 3 hours of checking in (which I would imagine is still about 2 hours longer than their typical guests.)

I really believe that this location should be pulled from booking websites until Ramada can verify that the entire building has been renovated.

It’s a shame as this location is so close to the sporting stadiums that many an unsuspecting group may book this propery. I was able to leave -- out of towners may be stuck in this dump without an option to relocate.

Room Tip: Avoid this location
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Glen G, General Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
We apologize for the experience at your property and will address the issues with the staff and renovation contractors so they are not as intrusive. The hotel makes every attempt to place guests in areas of the hotel that are not as affected by the renovation and in rooms that have been completed.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here for AERA conference and definitely regret staying here. Not only was it a 20 dollar cab ride away from the downtown area, the room felt dirty and the carpet had hairs and dirt when I got here. Also, the shower handle came off in my hand! Most of the lamps/lights aren't working, the breakfast is poor at best, and there was dust all over the lobby from construction. Save yourself the grief and spend a little more to stay at a nicer place...I learned MY lesson.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Letty222
Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We sincerely regret the issues you had with your stay. I have addressed the issues you had with our maintenance and housekeeping staff so they are aware of the issues. Yes, we are in the middle of a remodeling and unfortunately only a percentage of our rooms at this time have been completed, but we try to get everyone in the new rooms if possible. Thank you for alerting to our issues so we can strive to resolve each and every one you experienced.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We checked out after one night. We were booked to stay three nights in March 21- 23 Because the month before me and my husband stayed on the 14th floor had no problems with room it was very clean. So we thought to visit this place again. I pulled back my sheets only to fine someone toenail and hair in the bed.( disgusting) the bathtub was dirty the toilet had dry urine left from the other guest the bathroom floor was dirty the room was cold, with no adjustable heating and no extra blankets. There were no coffee making facilities. Staff were unhelpful at best. In the morning I ask the housekeeper" Nicki" for service she told me she could not give me service, where did you find this housekeeper all I wanted where extra towels so that me and my husband could check out of here fast. And if you work in housekeeping your appearance should be neat and clean her uniform was very dirty I seen some with hats on never again. clean this place up first.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mia p
Glen G, General Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
The hotel management team are dismayed at the issue you encountered and we are certainly addressing each and every one. We appreciate taking the time to let us know where we have missed the mark. The hotel has recently engaged a new management company and we are aggressively making changes so that the product we have and the service we deliver are at or above our standards as well as our customers. We sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet these levels. We will review each issue with our staff in order to correct these deficiencies.

Regards,