“South Philly” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Penrose Hotel

and 1 more site!
Penrose Hotel
Ranked #75 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Glen Burnie, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I found this hotel on Priceline and although I thought it was a good price, it turned out if I had called the hotel and booked it directly through them, I would have saved another $50. We recently stayed there for 3 nights. It is an old Hotel and used to be called something else. they put a sheet like sign over top ot the old sign so they haven't been there long enough to get a new sign but we found it. The Hotel is really old and has not been updated in years. The TV is old, the Phone was really old, (Push button at least, LOL) and you could just tell the whole place needs to be updated. On a good note, the room was quite big, the view from the 8th floor was really cool, and the people were nice. It is also pretty convenient to the sports arenas and Chickie's and Petes Restaurant. (Love their crab fries!) Free breakfast was promised but they are renovating the restaurant and bar so it was closed. They still had a continental breakfast but we went down to check it out and there was cereal, english muffins, a couple pastries and coffee. Possibly Juice or milk too, I can't remember. We took one look and decided to go across the street to the Diner on Penrose Ave. I highly reccommend that. The food there was very inexpensive and delicious! Traffic was not bad so it was easy to cross the street.

When I got home I looked at my bill and realized it was $50 cheaper than what Priceline said but when I called the hotel they said that's because of all the fees Priceline charges and that in non busy times, it's best to call the hotel. I will definitely remember this for the future. Then I was looking at my credit card and although Priceline already charged me and I already paid it, the hotel charged me again!! When I called they said Oh it's because they are new and their systems were not working correct but they would credit me back the $210. Do I want to stay there again?? Only if I'm feeling poor. At least we had a king size bed to sleep on (that was also very old) and a shower and a place to park our stuff. Nothing else I can say.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. It is allegedly in process of being renovated. The floors were dirty, there was dusty mould on the skirting boards, rust in the bath tub and a mouldy dirty shower head and taps etc, no television reception, and an uncomfortable bed. The walls are paper thin and you could hear other guests both on the same floors and upper and lower floors. The general feel of this hotel was that of an uneasy feel and to be honest unsafe. If the hotel is in fact being renovated then I suggest they stop taking guests as it is disgusting that they allow people to sleep and shower etc in those conditions. Any wonder they have a lot of complaints. I recommend viewing your room before committing to your stay.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I was recently stranded in Philly after a 8:30 pm flight was delayed and ultimately cancelled. Upon arriving at the Ramada, I was greeted by Gina - her smile and her kindness made the stress of my travel day begin to melt away. Thank you, Gina, for showing that the people in the City of Brotherly Love are truly wonderful! Please know that your gesture will not be forgotten.

Beaufort, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

It is incredible that this hotel is recommended by anyone. It is absolutely filthy and has a very sketchy clientele. It is also not near Center City, but twenty minutes away.

Ramada should be ashamed. This has nothing to do with the renovation. From the outside, you can see the dirty windows and disheveled drapes. The people going in and out look like they work on the corner of 45th and 12th Avenue in NYC. Scary.

1 Thank sistahsays
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Last month I attended an activity at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Hotels nearby had raised the rates for this meeting. Looking at online sites I was able to locate this facility at a rate under $100 a night.

A friend suggested that I could safely walk in the neighborhood if I stayed on the main streets.

The facility itself is undergoing renovation. I had a fine room with a flat-screen television and radio. The accommodations were sparse and comfortable. A safe deposit box was not available. Complementary cold breakfast is served daily from 7 to 10 am. There is a swimming pool; it was covered for the winter in late April and early May. Apparently they are planning to have the breakfast room converted into a restaurant. There is a diner across the street; I never ate there.

I spent most of my time at the Convention Center. I took the Broad Street Subway to the Oregon stop. Then I walked around half a mile on West Moyamensing Avenue to Penrose Avenue to the hotel. Most of the walk was through an Italian-American neighborhood with well-kept buildings. The residents were friendly. I felt safe walking there at 5 am and 10 pm. I had to cross under a highway to go to Penrose Avenue. The traffic was heavy. I carefully crossed only with a green light. The intersection could be dangerous to pedestrians. It took 30 to 60 minutes each way to go from the hotel to the convention center.

People who can readily walk half a mile each way can benefit from this inexpensive hotel in Philadelphia. Take a taxi when carrying luggage.

This is a reasonable alternative to the extremely expensive hotels near the convention center.

Room Tip: I was on the eight floor across from the elevator. I was exhausted every night; I slept well. I s...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles