“NEEDS COMPLETE RENOVATION!!!!!!!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Haven, Connecticut
“NEEDS COMPLETE RENOVATION!!!!!!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was very dissatisfied with my stay at this location. I had to be assigned three rooms. The first two rooms which were assigned, neither was vacuumed (both visibly not touched), RM 1415 had pills on the rug and dirt, and bathroom was dirty. RM 1208 had two dead flies on the floor, crap in the sheets and smelled very musty. Then the maid/housekeeping supervisor got very upset and told me that she was offended because I called them maids, used the race card and told me as an African-American woman I should be shamed to ever say a word such as that. Then had the nerve to go on a rant and rave about it, all while asking me "Why I didn't want to stay in that room" -- Is she joking??? I finally got a room, that had actually been cleaned. The front desk staff was pleasant and very apologetic and did all they could with what they were supplied with. Overall, I would never stay here again, the location is great and very close proximity to the stadiums, arena, and airport, however, it needs to be closed for at least 6 months and fully renovated, including new updated elevators, exterior paint and fixtures, rooms gutted and refurbished. Highlight of stay, was the shuttle vendor, who runs a separate business.

Room Tip: Not applicable!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
We apologize that you had such an experience with our housekeeping staff. WSe will be sure to investigate the issue. As with all the other reviews we realize that portions of our hotel are in dire need of renovations and are addressign them as quickly as possible. However, there is no reason to have the issue with the rooms you stated and we will look into those issue and discuss them with our housekeeping management team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The in room toilet didn't flush correctly from day one then in the middle of the night stopped all together. The staff informed me that there was nothing that could be done till 7:30 the next morning when maintenance came in. The staff would not switch my room and became not only rude but threatening when I insisted that something needed to be done. ( you need a toilet).
Additionally, the phone did not work and we had friends staying in the hotel to coordinate plans with and the TV did not work. The restaurant was closed as well as the fitness center. This hotel is in horrible condition with uncomfortable beds, rude staff, and without basic necessities LIKE A TOILET. Also, be advised the neighborhood it is in is HORRIBLE (FYI I live in NYC)

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
We apologize for the problems you encountered. As you contacted the hotel and are aware, a solution that you agreed upon was worked out with you directly. As always, we are always willing to move guests to another room, but in this case our invitation to move was declined. I have discussed the problem with the person who came to your room to handle the complaint and have already reviewed your concerns with him again. Unfortunately, while we make no excuses, our employee found it difficult to reach a mutual agreemement with your guests and the fact that it was past 1:30AM may have added to the situtation. We are pleased that we were able to come to an agreeable solutiuon.

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Due to the renovation of the hotel it was extremely messy and dirty very poor appearance. Customer service was horrible call to the front desk to be told hold on she is dealing with customers.... What am I? Bar was the worse I have been in ever in a hotel bartender had 0 knowledge of drinks (martini served in a white wine glass).... very bad experience never will return

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
I am sorry for the issues you experienced. We make every effort to handle each and every customer as quickly as possible, but at times the front desk agent can be handling reservations, checking in customers or handling parking patrons. They should have have taken your room number and had the agent return your call. We will disuss this issue withg the front desk supervisor. We will also review the issue you had with the bartender as we know the bar has martini glasses on hand. Thank you for taking the time to alert us of our shortcomings and you can be assured we will address them.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I just returned from three fabulous nights at the Ramada on Penrose. I think what most guests need to keep in mind is that this hotel is (very recently) under new management & is undergoing renovations. That being said, rooms on the upper levels have been remodeled and are very clean & quiet. The elevators are old, but in working order. The bar is in great shape and the continental breakfast is typical of what you would receive in many other hotels (eggs, breads & pastries, fruit, juice, etc). There was free WiFi throughout the hotel and I never had a problem with it. The pool is not open due to renovations.

What made my trip 'excellent' was the staff. Gina & Elaine at the front desk, as well as the bartender, Reggie, and the chef, Vince, made the trip unforgettable. Their hospitality and effort to ensure that I was comfortable was second to none. I hope to return to Philadelphia, and wouldn't even consider booking anywhere else!

Room Tip: Try to request a room on one of the upper levels as they have been fully renovated.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Glen G, Manager at Penrose Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you so much for your positive and ecouraging comments. While we are eager to hear how we can improve out property and realize we have a lot of work still ahead of us, it is nice to know that the efforts we have placed into the property have made some difrerence. It is also nice to hear that our staff was welcoming and made help make your stay a memorable one. Good customer service is something we can provide regardless of the state or age of our property.