“fun, educational, scenic”

and up
Haunted Philadelphia: Spirits of '76 Ghost Tour
Ranked #24 of 74 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: 1 Part History, 2 Parts Haunt! Take Philly’s Best Ghost Tour and get a free glow stick souvenir! Travel the cobblestone streets of Old City to hear chilling stories about the Spirits of ‘76. Dare to visit more than 20 of “Philly’s Frights & Sights” on a 75 minute ghoulish outdoor walking journey through Historic and Haunted Philadelphia. Tour meets at Così Restaurant at 4th & Chestnut Streets. Reservations strongly recommended. Tours run April through November.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“fun, educational, scenic”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Have been on many ghost tours in many cities. It is nearly all about the guide and the storytelling to make the 'ghost' part fun. Places like Philly can withstand avg guides to a degree when only history is involved. To that end, I toured with the delightful and entertaining Caroline (also easy to hear from a distance, important). She knew her stuff, was outgoing and interactive, and struck just the right balance of spooky tales and associated history but without the overly serious nature I've experienced elsewhere. If you are after more creep factor, this may not be the one, but its a fun and educational 90 min and a picturesque walk through the old part of town on a nice evening.

Visited July 2012

Philadelphia, PA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Very well done & very interesting”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

So much history in Philadelphia! Our guide did a great job telling "ghost stories" and was very informed. Enjoyed learning about the city and some of the more grim aspects. Definitely recommend.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank djf500
Williamsport, PA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good tour...but...”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Great tour, very informative, and learned a lot about different historic spots. However...I brought a copy of the map with me that they have on their website and was a bit disappointed that quite a few spots listed on the map were completely skipped over (some we didn't even walk past at all, let alone hear anything about).
On the plus side, I got photos of a lot of orbs and a couple ectoplasms.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank MitukaAufaey
usa1776Philadelphia, Owner at Spirits of '76 Ghost Tour of Philadelphia, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thanks so much for your review. I'd like to know what date/time you took the tour, as well as who your guide was. Could you also let me know which stops along the tour were skipped so I can look into this further? Anyway, I am glad you got some good pictures of orbs. We'd love you to post them here on Trip Advisor or our Facebook page.
North Ridgeville, Ohio
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Total Waste”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This tour really ruined our night. We had just gotten into town and went to our hotel to unpack for a bit before heading out for this tour. It was a rainy and cold night, but we had already purchased tickets so we decided to just go. The listing says that you meet at Così Restaurant, and when my husband had made contact, they said he could park at the restaurant. What they neglected to mention was that the only parking was on the street. We're from out of town--we know nothing about where to park, so we assumed parking would be a breeze. My husband drove around for 10 minutes and finally dropped me off and said, "I'll catch up with you once I find a place to park." As it was, I had to run to catch up for the tour as they had left already. (Let me tell you, it's kind of scary to be in a city you don't know, in the dark, trying to find a tour guide and you don't know where anything is.) So I finally catch up. Do you know my husband drove around for AN HOUR AND A HALF and never found a place to park? He missed the entire tour. The whole thing. We pre-paid and he missed it all. There were only three of us on the whole tour and a lot of it was just standing outside of gated cemeteries, trying to look in. At one point, we were instructed to hold our cameras above our head and jump to get a picture over a stone wall. We didn't even bother to ask for a refund because it says right on the site that no refunds will be issued. They had taken our money and we were out. As it was, I came back to our Inn completely soaked from the rain. My purse was wet all the way through, my shoes were wet for days and it was miserable. The stories were okay, but nothing great. This was the start to our Philly trip and it stunk. We'll always have bad memories of this company and tour. Find a different tour and do more research, and please, think carefully before you prepay for your tickets!

Visited September 2011
3 Thank TrinityDiodore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I am a high school teacher who was persuaded by her class to take a trip on a Friday evening to see the "ghosts" of the revolution. It was a blast! The students and I were amazed at the historical background that you learn as well as the ghostie part. We traveled to over 20 spots and were entertained and enlightened thoroughly by our tour guide, Ren. She had all of my 18 and 19 year olds completely mesmerized, and in some cases, terrified. I am not a strong believer in "evidence" but I have to tell you, there are two pictures while I was using high speed film, that I did NOT take. We were all a little spooked. Go with a great attitude. Learn some very interesting background history of our beloved city. Enjoy the fact that we just don't KNOW everything. By the way, Ren spirited us away for almost two hours. She is wonderful.; please ask for her!

Visited October 2011