“Wonderful Tour”

and up
Philadelphia Love Letter Art Tour via Elevated Train
Ranked #20 of 75 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Come see our amazing collection of murals and other public artwork! The City of Murals is now available for guided tours all year long. Please check our Tour Calendar to see the latest offerings open to the public. A mural tour is a world-class experience for the whole family and any group.All mural tour proceeds benefit Philadelphia Mural Arts Program initiatives. We appreciate your support, please join us soon!
Cooper City, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wonderful Tour”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The Philadelphia Mural Arts Program tour was absolutely wonderful. The artwork is totally amazing. Our tour was especially enhanced by our terrific guide Jerry. He was so knowledgeable not only about all the murals we got to see but also added his own commentaries and tidbits about places we passed. I am sure very few people know these little facts. His enthusiasm and love for the city made the tour even better.

Boston
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Who knew that a mural tour in a converted trolley would be so entertaining? I liked hearing about the social movement behind the art as well as viewing the murals themselves. And we got to see a bit of north and south Philly. Our tour guide was fantastic--knowledgeable but not overwhelming. Be warned that you sit on the trolley the entire 2 hours, so get to the Mural Arts office early enough to wait in line for their one restroom.

Los Angeles
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“GO ON YOUR OWN!!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I read the other reviews about this tour and was so excited because they were so highly rated and I booked right away for our 2 day stay in Philly! Honestly, I have no idea what these people are referring to because our tour was so incredibly lame, we ditched it after the first subway stop and I REALLY wanted to like it. I'm a photographer and an artist and I really love street art so this was right up my alley.

First off, we got to the meeting spot at the mall and met the tour guide. She was a grey haired older lady...really conservative looking and dressed oddly out of style. She had a mullet with bangs...maybe that's a Philly thing, I don't know but it was weird for someone who is talking about street art and graffiti. Even my husband commented that she couldn't have made tagging seem less cool if she tried!! She talked for over an hour inside the office and the whole time we kept wondering if this was part of the tour because I didn't sign up for a boring presentation from an old lady on my 2 days in Philly!!! She talked about what we were going to see and had really cheesy printed handouts in plastic sheet protectors of the murals and street art. She passed them around like we were in Jr. High...it was pretty lame and low tech being that she was standing behind a big projector screen. I mean, if you're going to do a presentation...do it right! And be an interesting speaker! I know it was a voluntary position but still...come on! And on top of all that, she smelled really bad! I would never mention this just out of politeness but it was so bad we had to move away from her anytime she got close and discreetly cover our noses. I actually got mad at my son because I thought it was him at first but then we realized it was the lady!!! Holy Moly!!! It just is not professional to charge someone to listen to you speak and smell that offensively...it's just not acceptable!

Ok, after an hour we were off to the subway...finally!!! Once on the train, I realized that we were going to see many of the murals at 60 miles an hour....the first ones whisked right by and I couldn't hear what she was saying because I didn't want to get that close so I missed the first bunch! Then we got off the platform to take a close look at a group of murals that were high up on the buildings. I soon realized we are supposed to view them through a metal grid! So, you have this group of people staring at a building through a 1 inch by inch square and people are trying to cram their cameras in the small grid to take a picture....what?????? No, no, no, no....

My family and I immediately looked at each other, identified the fact that this was super lame and ditched the group and got off the platform to just walk on the streets and see the murals up close without a huge metal grid in front of us...it was a thousand times better!!! We obviously didn't get to take pictures of the murals that were on the top of the buildings but there were at least a dozen that were on the street and it was fine. We spent about an hour wandering around the neighborhood...took some awesome pics and jumped back on the subway back to where we came from.

My advice....DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE SUBWAY TOUR. Just find out where they are and go on your own. The neighborhood is a little sketchy so don't go with all your gold and diamonds on. My husband was with me and we're from LA so it's not that big of a deal but we had our 8 year old son and 19 year old daughter with us and felt safe. In the end, we did it on our own and got great pics!!

San Francisco
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of our visit....”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Philly's MuralArts Foundation has an unprecedented record of success in bringing murals to life on previously empty walls in sometimes blighted neighborhoods. Working with fine artists, they offer disadvantaged young people an opportunity to work on a project, learn a skill, and more forward in their lives. Neighborhoods are beautified, creating a win-win for everyone. Scheduled guided tours of all parts of Philly are offered, every day of the week.

Visited May 2013
Many, Louisiana
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Don't miss the murals!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Thanks to Tripadvisor reviews I booked 2 mural tours for our trip to Philly. Both were wonderful!! With our schedule and the mural arts schedule, to get the tours I wanted they would be the same day. I called the office to check because the Mural Mile Walking Tour was from 11-1 and the Love Letter Train Tour was from 1-2:30. The tours were on a Sunday so they both started at the Mural Arts office. They said it was fine to book both tours and made a note on the later tour that we were coming from the walking tour. We were a little late but no problem and they waited even longer for a couple who had gotten caught in parade traffic. Very accommodating and the guide gave us a lot of background info while we waited. Both guides were enthusiastic and knowledgable.