“Not worth even the $57 that I paid” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Line Hotel

City Line Hotel
Ranked #80 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Hooksett, New Hampshire
“Not worth even the $57 that I paid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I traveled April 2011 with my daughter to visit an area college and was afraid in the room, in the elevator, in the lobby and especially in the rear parking lot. This hotel was in such disrepair that it is incredible that they are allowed to stay open. We were kept up most of the night by arguing drunk people in the next room. The AC was inadequate and unable to be adjusted cooler or warmer, the elevator made so much noise we feared it would break down. The parking lot was so broken down that you bottomed out entering and exiting. I was looking for a basic place to lay our heads as we came in late and were leaving early, and didn't even get that. We wondered how clean the linens were based on the rest of the surroundings. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone and especially anyone with a family. We did not feel safe at all.

The one saving grace to this hotel is the gentleman behind the counter was incredibly nice and accommodating. He is the ONLY reason we got past the lobby.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Lisa M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bowling Green, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

The rooms were clean enough & what few staff we met were friendly & helpful. But we got the impression that they were extremely over-worked & the very nice man in charge of the lobby didn't even have time off to eat or a place to eat in - he had a folding table & ate hastily in a corner of the lobby, continuing to serve customers whilst he tried to get a meal in - he was still working 10 (?) hours later & was still the only one in the lobby.*
The room looked good from a housekeeping point of view but it lacked supplies - no bath mat & very limited towels. Half the drawers in the place were fake & there were no facilities in the room for making anything, not even a cup of tea. Nor was there any such in the lounge or lobby - nor was there a breakfast room - no breakfast of any description, not even an urn of hot water for tea or coffee at any time. We were told we could go to the gas station next door for a cup of coffee (we wanted just hot water for tea)
We had been warned by previous reviews that parking was very limited & had even read the hotel's response that their parking issues were resolved. They were not - we were directed to park in front of the restaurant next door & we saw later that others were double-parked on the hotel's forecourt. I do not know how those behind could get out if the ones parked on the outside didn't move first. They said the hotel's car park was "under repairs" but, in that case that's been so for many months, & it is a good-sized hotel so, very inadequate space.
The housekeeping staff were not noisy but the walls were so thin you could not help hearing the noises they made whilst cleaning. It was not their fault! The place was very noisy & someone started drilling first thing the morning of our departure.
In the lobby at night, there were several people hanging around &, judging by their dress & behaviour, they were prostitutes & either their johns or their pimps (& one small boy amusing himself hopping up & down around the lobby floor, poor child) We overheard one man trying to rent a room for an hour. Credit to the hotel - he was made to pay for the whole night. There was also a very competent-looking & pleasant security guard there* who kept an eye on everyone so I could be wrong about the people - but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with a family - I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone! But please note the staff were very pleasant, helpful & likeable people - I just have my doubts about the owners of this place!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank crazyoldbat

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Tarpon Springs, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

entered parking lot and there were hookers coming and going. The parking was very limited and mostly on the street. I was still in my car watching the people go by and someone actually tried my door handle to get in. The car next to me was being broken into. I went into the lobby to cancel my reservation and there was a man wanting his money back because his hotel door would not lock .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank casko4
Odenton, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

I am checking out in about 30 mins. Ill give you as accurate account of my stay as possible.
Good,...room was clean, nothing fancy but clean. The staff was easy to work with and did a good job of addressing whatever I asked them about. The tv worked and the water was hot in the shower.

Not so good....the building is old. It is in need of some serious rehabbing. There is in the hallway between my room and the elevator a section of carpet that is wet..squish, squish, squish. Wasnt wet when I checked in on friday, but was wet saturday evening. Im on the 4th floor and the ceiling in my room has obvious signs of water damage...but it isnt wet or leaking. Make sure you bring your own hairdryer--there isnt one in the room.
Elevator is pretty slow and makes noises at times. No ice machine on each floor--you have to go to the lobby area to get ice.

BAD:---parking. there is approximately 8 spaces out front for the guests...thats it. The parking garage is visible from my room off to the left and I can see why its not open--there is a huge hole in the surface--like the size of a 1/2 a basketball court--on the top level and a smaller hole on the next level down. Guests have to find their own place to park if the 8 spaces are gone. Where do they Park? I dont know, I got lucky and got a spot but was blocked in by another guest. Staff does the best they can to make sure as many guests can park as possible but its really inconvenient to deal with. AC--the unit in the room only has an on/off switch, no way to control temperature or amount of air.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank shayinvestments
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I had plans to go to a wedding in the city so I made a reservation for 1 night. First of all, there was no place to park. After we checked in and got to our room it was filthy, the air conditioning and the tv weren't working. This was unacceptable so we left to stay somewhere else. We found a nicer hotel to stay in and while we were getting ready to go to the wedding I realized that we left the gift in the crappy hotel room. I called the front desk and they said they'd hold it there for me. Well I went in the following morning and no one seemed to know anything about it. So not only is this hotel in terrible condition but the customer service is terrible too. Don't stay here!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy_C_1975
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

Clean large room, great friendly desk and hotel staff, great shower water flow, nice cool a/c and comfy beds AND across the street from Saks Fifth Avenue, shopping and Chili's Restaurant bus stop to center city at the door...and if you don't want to cross the street a pizza shop next door--location..location..location and a parking lot that is extremely well-lit at a great price--we will definately be back. Thanks NAMI you guys rock!-

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed here in june 2011 on a budget, the area is great! a few restaurants and a small outdoor shopping centre, the hotel was abit of a let down though. The front desk staff weren't very friendly when we arrived and didnt seem interested at all. Arriving in our room they advertised free high speed internet, which it has WHEN YOU CAN GET A SIGNAL which is barely ever! and when you do it constantly disconnects. Its a conference center and a function room so it got quite noisy on a couple of nights due to downstairs wedding parties etc. The room was tidy and the beds were comfy, the only problem we saw was that the shower curtain had black mould on it and the bath was grubby! there are a few bus stops outside to easily get to downtown philadelphia and fairmount park which is great! if your looking for a cheap place to stay its ok but i wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple