“Pompeii Exhibit on a Friday Night”

The Franklin Institute
Ranked #16 of 438 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
London, United Kingdom
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Pompeii Exhibit on a Friday Night”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This week's date night was the Pompeii exhibit (open now through April 2014) in the Franklin Institute. We only got tickets to this (~$14 each through Goldstar, plus a few dollars in fees), not admission to the entire museum. We got there at about 6pm on a Friday and since the museum had closed at 5pm but the exhibit stayed open til 9pm, it was pretty empty and really nice. There were no school children running around screaming, only a few other adults there. I am really interested in Pompeii (visiting next summer!) and my date is really into history, so we were excited that we could walk through at our leisure and look at all the artifacts and read the descriptions without feeling rushed or surrounded by other people. It's a really nice exhibit, a huge variety of artifacts brought over from Naples, and was very interesting. Definitely worth the admission price and I would definitely suggest going on a weekend at night after the FI has closed so you can really enjoy the exhibit like we did.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Very Interesting”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We went here with family when visiting them, and it's very interesting, especially for kids. There are three floors of information, and most of it is hands-on and very educational. For my taste, it could have more interactive things for older children and be a little more technology driven, but for a first time visitor, I was impressed. My wife and kids really liked the large heart that you could walk through. The science wing is interesting and bands-on, giving kids a feel for things like sound, wind resistance, and flight. The two negatives for me were the $2 per item coat check and the food. While not bad, I felt it a little pricy for what I received.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank SongMan67
Bethany Beach, Delaware
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fun day, but needs updating”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband and I came to spend a couple hours...ended up staying a big part of the day. We both really enjoyed all the hands-on and interactive exhibits. The staff was all very friendly and the museum was quite clean for the volume of people who must come through.

We were a little disappointed that quite a few of the exhibits were not working. The sports room was almost laughable since the baseball pitching and soccer kicking exhibits weren't working. There were also other things that just didn't do anything when the button was pressed.

We were also surprised at how many activities one would have to pay additional for...the Pompeii exhibit, IMAX, 3d movie, flight simulator, etc. I was really bummed the Pompeii exhibit was an additional fee and we had to skip it since we were traveling on a budget. I can't imagine how a family could afford all these things.

Overall, it was one on the better museums we have been to and we had a fun day. Not sure we would come back, but a great thing to do on a cold day.

1 Thank 256HeatherS
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Bring your kids or Grandkids”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This museum founded in 1824, is not content to be one of the oldest science museums in the U.S., but also one of the best. It is a truly wonderful mix of visual, auditory and hands-on learning Now it can be pricy, especially if you visit the Imax theaters, but even the basic exhibits are really worthwhile. Check out the automaton (as seen in the movie Hugo), the giant walk through heart, the train factory, the space exhibit, the changing earth showing the effects of the rising oceans and much more. I especially found the electricity exhibit informative and learned numerous things that somehow I had never learned in school. My only disappointment was the Tesla electrical demonstration, I had visions of arching electricity filling the room, but sadly it was only a loud crackling up by the ceiling.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank daanddo
Reading, PA
709 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,635 helpful votes
“Excellent Pompeii exhibit”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We have been to Pompeii and this current exhibit is very educational and fascinating. The artifacts come from the Archeological Museum in Naples, Italy and are of very high quality. Try to come in the evening or weekend when there are not lots of totally uninterested, way too young school groups scampering about. There were two third grade classes there when we were there and they just ran around and screamed. There was no attempt to even explain to them what they were viewing - a total waste of time, as well as annoying for us. Entry to the exhibit also allows entrance to the rest of the museum. Parking cost $15 for up to 4 hours, just to warn you.

3 Thank luvroma2