“Microscopic bathroom”

Club Quarters Hotel in Philadelphia
Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Women would not be happy with the lack of countertop space and space in general in the bathrooms. I stayed 2 consecutive nights with 2 different rooms--same layout. Shower only with curtain (some rooms have glass doors on shower). Little area to maneuver. Not enough space to put "stuff" I needed. Rooms size ok, but mattresses had no support. Key did not work first night. Have to use key in elevator and that was a pain. I expected more, having stayed in other Club Quarters. I was disappointed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,595)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was our first stay at the QC Philadelphia, though we have stayed at other QCs on the east coast. This QC was significantly inferior to the others, although the service was excellent (all staff were very polite and professional the entire stay) and the hotel was very clean. As for opportunities, let's start with rooms - we were put in a window-less room, well...only skylights, which was a no-go. I don't think I've ever not had a window on at least one wall in a hotel room... I didn't even think that would pass code (there would be no way for us to escape if there was a fire outside the door). Anyway, the front desk staff promptly relocated us without issue to another room. In both rooms, the HVAC systems were loud. Moreover, the walls are paper thin and you can hear all of your neighbors coming, going, talking, everything. Luckily we had earplugs. The decor is in line with other QCs, which are always well-decorated. The bed is of average comfort, with soft pillows but hard sheets. The coffee machine in the lobby wasn't working, nor was the sparkling water tap. There was no continental breakfast, even though the front desk staff mentioned this upon check-in. Lastly, the elevators are tiny, making for a long wait during peak times. The price, of course, was very competitive for downtown Philly, which makes sense when you discover all of the things that could be improved. I think, next time, we would pay the extra $20/night to stay at a Hilton property... at least we would have the comfort of knowing that everything is in order.

Room Tip: Just ask (politely). The hotel staff is very accommodating.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our Anniversary and my birthday. This was such a nice hotel in an unexpected location in dwntwn Philly. Very cozy and well appointed. The customer service was unforgettable. Anthony was awesome. He not only upgraded our room but sent us up a bottle of wine! We are definitely visiting again when we return in March for a wedding.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

This place is a great find. Centrally located. Rooms are a bit small and outdated but there did seem to be some updates going on. Staff is awesome. The 2 girls, Aja and Aleah, at the front desk gave me a lot of direction and assistance. Aja knew of all the local food places and Aleah gave me great public transit directions. Will definitely come back to see these two again!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had a great experience staying at this hotel even though I had only stayed for one night.

Parking -
Although they don't have their own parking garage, they offer a 30% discount if you park at Parkway which is located at your the first left turn if you drive past the hotel. I prefer this method since I get to park my own car instead of paying the exorbitant valet fees other hotels charge you (some charging you up to $50 for valet). And its convenient if you happen to shop at the Shops at Liberty place since they use the same parking garage. Just make sure you validate your parking ticket at the hotel front desk (I only paid $23 for parking 24 hours).

Hotel lobby -
Strange setup since the hotel lobby is on the 2nd floor and the entrance is on the ground floor. The elevators never took long. The lobby was very nice. Lots of seating for people to lounge. Public computers are Mac's. There's free water, tea coffee/expresso's as well. I don't drink coffee but my wife liked her latte with foaming milk. There is a discount to eat at the restaurant there, Davio's, but we chose to eat out. I think they also had loaner iPads available. Not sure if they were free to use or there was a surcharge. But I rather use my own since they are probably germ infested like the typical hotel room TV remote/phone.

Rooms -
The room we stayed in was pretty small but for one night worked out fine. The flat screen TV was nice but the reception was not that great (not one clear channel except for the hotel channel). I have lower back pains but the bed did not bother one bit. There was no in room safe so we carried our valuables when we left the room. It was nice to see USB charging ports on the work desk and by the bed. This way if I do happen to accidentally leave my cable behind I wont freak out as much as I would if I left my cable AND charger. Issues with using wifi around the room was no existent.
The bathroom was a shower only stall. Only real complaint I have for the bathroom is the toilet. There is low shelf sitting right behind the toilet so when the toilet cover is up it stays up.. but since the toilet seat is heavier it will not stay up. Guys will either have hold the toilet seat up while peeing (will definitely be hard for the taller guys.. I'm 5'7") or they will have to pee sitting down. Instead of having to call housekeeping for extra towels/pillows etc.. they have a central storage closet where you can grab them at your own leisure. The extra pillows I grabbed were in garment bags. A great amenity was the water dispenser located by the elevators. The hotel provided clean plastic water bottles (I think they were 15-16oz. bottles) with which you can take and refill.
I guess depending on the day (we were there on a Saturday night) it can get loud at night. Not the hotel's fault in any way. Just rowdy people on the street. I was up on the 8th floor and I could still hear women's cackling away.

Overall was a great experience aside from the toilet issue. Ha!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I'd actually give this hotel a 3 1/2 stars. It's right downtown in Philadelphia, close to Penn Station, stores, museums and restaurants. It has a nice lobby and different kinds of coffee all the time. There are three computers in the lobby for guests who don't have one with them. Unfortunately I had trouble with two of them but the reception desk was very accommodating and let me use the one at the front desk. There is a nice, but somewhat pricey restaurant. I had dinner there and was very pleased with the food. It was quite crowded and the service was slow, so to compensate me the maitre d' brought me a small salad, which was a nice touch.

The hotel is in the midst of a renovation, though the public spaces don't betray it. However, the room that I had was rather small, and rather modestly appointed. This also goes for the bathroom. The bed was comfortable enough. The room and bath are the reason I'd give the hotel a lower rating than I'd expect to give it when the renovation is complete.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel didn't seem like a lot when we booked it or when we walked in, I am glad we were pleasantly surprised after a two night stay. We have to say its a great hotel, the location is very good, the service and the overall feel of the hotel is great. We had a room on the 5th floor and a nice view of the street from our room. Everything you can possibly want to visit is walking distance, if you need it there is a parking garage close by and they have discounted prices for the hotel guest. The room was comfortable, clean and updated. Enjoyed complementary wi-fi, coffee, other drinks and chips. Will deff be back!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple