“Probably not again”

Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“Probably not again”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Strange place. Seems nice at first but is ultimately cheaply put together. We had an executive suite. Pretty small and narrow. Last I checked, a kitchenette should have a small stove with burners, and not just a sink, microwave, and fridge right? False advertising. If we didn't need the fridge and sink, I would have booked the Kimpton next door. It was the same price.
We are a family of 3 as was listed in the reservation. The rundown bathroom had one towel in it. I had to call for to get more of something so basic.

Asked if we had could check out at 12:30 instead of 12 and was told that it would cost $30. Sucks.

No valet parking either.

Can't beat the location though . . .

Room Tip: Executive Suites are not so great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Macungie, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Reasonable rates but really small and very noisy rooms. Stay away from the attached restaurant. There are better options in the city. I stay here a few times before I switched to the Holiday Inn Express. Service is fine but the rooms are small and poorly laid out and it does tend to get very noisy especially if there is a group in the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. Booked last minute via Hotwire and got a fantastic rate. I think they use Hotwire to unload rooms a lot. Room was a decent size. My first room was much smaller but they were using it to store housekeeping items (bags of linens, trash, etc) so I called the front desk and they told me to come back and they would switch me. I didn't ask for an upgrade but I was given a larger room.

The bathroom was tiny with very little in the way of counter space. The shower was also very small with the shower head oddly-placed.

Wifi worked great. Nice desk. For some reason I had a very hard time sleeping in this hotel. I think it might be because I am used to my memory foam mattress at home and the hotel has a standard mattress. The a/c worked pretty well. Others have complained about the noise but I sleep with earplugs anyway so it was fine for me. I recall seeing a card offering comfort items including earplugs if you need them. They also offer air purifiers and I should have gotten one but did not.

One quirk noted by others is the need to take two elevator rides every time you enter and exit the hotel. The hotel between the street level and the lobby are painfully slow.

The location at 17th and Chestnut is great. Plenty of decent restaurants nearby. Easy walk up to Ben Franklin Parkway and the cultural institutions there (Franklin Institute, Free Library, Basilica, Love Park) plus City Hall. Plenty of paid parking lots around as well. I just parked across the street in the garage under the mall. With hotel validation it is $24/day.

All in all it was a fine stay at a very good price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
york, pa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great service, spotless, quiet room with high ceilings (go for the 11th floor), wonderful location. Be prepared to pull up to the curb and allow a passenger to run in the door and bring the driver the directions to the parking garage which is about two blocks away. A single driver should be prepared to park (call hotel for directions), then walk to the hotel. That is the only negative....no doorman or valet parking. Everything else was fantastic! When in Philadelphia again, we will not hesitate to stay at Club Quarters again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 11th floor with the high ceilings.
1 Thank pacdrc
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My BF and I stayed for one weekend night. The location was excellent - super close to tons of shopping, eateries, and the public train system. The rooms were clean, but dreadfully small. The bathroom counter was extremely small, and the toilet reminded me of the small toilets we had back in high school. One elevator was not working during our trip, which made going up and down to the room a drag. I did appreciate the iHome docking station in the room and the purified water offered near the elevators on each floor. All in all, this hotel was decent for a short trip, but I likely would not stay for anything longer than one night.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I am pretty fair when when it comes to reviewing and I think I am being fair here also. Overall our stay was good but there were a few issues that really made the experience a bit sour.

I must comment about the staff though. They are fantastic. Helpful, friendly, and very accommodating.

As for the annoyances and let downs. Lets start with the parking. On the website for the hotel as well as the info on Hotwire we it stated that there is a spot across the street for unloading luggage etc. Also we were under the impression that there was a valet service. There is no spot to unload NOR is there a valet. You must park your own car a block down the road and then bring your ticket back to the hotel for validation.

Next thing you notice is when you walk in the lobby is not on the floor you are on. You need to get into a elevator and then go up to the lobby. Then to get to the rooms you need to walk through the lobby to where the elevators are. Once there you need to use your room key in the elevator before you can hit a button.

There are only 2 elevators and they are small. On a busy weekend like Memorial Day you can imagine the waiting. We stayed in a suite and the room was VERY nice. Tastully decorated and quite roomy. It even had a kitchentte.

The bed was very comforable as were the pillows. Our only letdown on the room was the TV reception was quite poor.

Sleeping for us was almost impossible. There was a man screaming about James Earl Jones and Laser Beams at around 3am this went on for maybe a hour. Plus there was what appeared to be the bachelorette party from hell going on outside as we heard a large group of women screaming "whooooooooooo" over and over for about 2 hours. There was also a fight between 2 men about whether or not Rap and Hip-Hop are the same thing. We could hear all this clear as day. We were on the 6th floor corner suite so we had 5 windows all were shut but they might as well have been open.

We can tolerate street noise we have stayed in many many major cities all over the world. But this was by far the loudest place we have ever stayed in.

Maybe it was just our luck or bad timing. I dont know. With no sleep its hard to be objective so I am giving this hotel a low rating.

Everything else is was good or execellent. The location is great. You are a block from Rittenhouse Square and you can walk to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall easily. Lots og shopping around the hotel and TONS of places to eat.

Room Tip: Do not get a corner room. Try and get up on the top floor to avoid the noise.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed just one night in a Superior room at Club Quarters for a meeting in Philadelphia. It was very basic and offered little in the way of amenities, but it did provide a comfortable stay. The reasonable price and the great location (16th and Chestnut) makes this ideal for short stay in Philadelphia

OVERALL
I would stay here again given that the other hotels in the same location can cost double the price. If I go back to Philly, I would definitely stay here again

ACCOMMODATION
Comfortable bed in a small room. You will not be entertaining guests here, but if you just need a comfortable place to sleep and shower, this is adequate.

FOOD & BEVERAGE
There is no complimentary breakfast, but coffee, tea and filtered water is available in the lobby and the 12th floor.

LOCATION
This is why people stay - it is on 16th and Chestnut!!!! It provides easy access to public transport and you can walk to most Center City locations from here.

SERVICE
As I have never stayed in a Club Quarters before, I was not familiar with the kiosk check in and check out process. It operates similarly to the airport check kiosk. Front desk staff were very helpful and patient.

TIPS
If traveling alone book early, as the single rooms are occupied quickly

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo