Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Providence, Pennsylvania
“We'll be back”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I visited Philly with my daughter and her children ages 4 and 9. It was everything we needed and more. It was close enough to walk to the historic sights. Breakfast was great. They had a pool to help wear out the kiddos. I never felt unsafe. There is a convenience store across the street and a pizza place around the corner (Jakes I think). Both of which we took advantage. Jakes will deliver but is close enough that my daughter walked over to pick it up. Everyone at the Hampton was friendly and helpful. We will definitely come back.
P.S. Take advantage of The BIg Bus Tour, very knowledgeable guides.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you writing your experience concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We are getting better so when you return your experience will be even better. We are adding new furniture to all guestrooms, adding a bar, upgrading the internet, and improving our bathroom amenities.
Roger Weber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Thsi is a nice Hampton Inn. It's clean and fairly well accomodated. The location is good for the Convention Centre (about a 5-10 minute walk, depending on where your convention is at the Centre), Chinatown, and shopping. Everything is walkable.
The staff are fantastic! I had rung ahead to let them know about my extremely late arrival (well past midnight), and everything was ready for me...I was in my room in about two minutes.
Everyone was friendly and efficient. They were extremely helpful and really made this a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your experience concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. This feedback is very important for us to improve. We are getting better with new furniture in all guestrooms as well new bathroom amenities.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed here for three nights as part of a mini-vacation prior to a major conference in Philly. Generally, I have had very good luck with Hampton Inns across the US. This one was no exception!
My room, facing toward part of the Pennsylvania Convention Center, was in very good condition and the bed felt like it was practically brand new. The bathroom was spotless and everything worked well (except for the cable TV, but who cares?). The staff was genuinely helpful and the breakfasts were typical for a hotel of this price range. Internet is free, and the rooms have a coffee machine and cups, but there is no in-room safe. Small safe deposit boxes are available at the desk without charge.
As for the location, I think it's superb. It's exactly halfway between Logan Square and Franklin Square. It took me about 15 minutes to walk from the hotel to Independence Hall and about the same to Logan Square. As I said before, it's also right across the street from the Penn. Convention Center and about five minutes walk from Reading Market. The area appears to be about as safe as a major city can be, too.
This hotel is nothing fancy, but it is excellent value in my opinion.

Room Tip: There was a bit of noise from the Convention Center. A room on the opposite side of the hotel might...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Desertfan1
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
The hotel appreciates feedback and I thank you for taking the time to write this review. Thanks for all the kind words about the condition of the hotel and location. We continue to work on the condition of the hotel and we are in the process of installing new furniture, adding a bar, and upgrading the internet.
Thank you so much for being OUR guest.
Boston
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Spent a pleasant weekend at the Hampton Inn. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the bed was really comfortable and the breakfast was above average. While there was no street noise, the heating unit was VERY noisy, despite ear plugs.

Can't beat the location - all of the main tourist attractions are within a 20 - 25 minute walk. The hotel is really close to the Reading Terminal Market which is well worth a visit.

A number of reviewers have compalined about the homeless people - the trick is to avoid Race Street. At night your best bet is to walk along Walnut or Chestnut (wider, busier, bettter lit) then up 13th.

If you come by plane there is no need for a car - the train from the aiport runs every 30 minutes ($7 per person) and the Market Street East stop is around the corner from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MS06
Thank you for writing the review concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. First of all I apologize for the noise of the HVAC unit in your guestroom. You stated the location is great and it's right in the middle of so many things to do, almost 20 minutes from most areas you might want to go. We are adding a few things to the hotel in the future to enhance guest stays. The internet is getting an upgrade, adding a liquor bar, installing new furniture to all guestrooms, and changing the bathroom amenities.
Thanks for staying with us.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel for the NSC conference this year (three days) and found it average. I was not acknowledged for my Hilton Honors status, and when I had called in (before check-in) to see if there were any available suites on the lowest level, and I was told that the hotel was at full capacity.

I did encounter some problems with the suite; wall paper peeling in the bathroom, rust/mold in the shower, and a nice view (sic) of the convention center. The hotel is conveniently located next door to the convention center, and there is a shelter located about a block away, but the residents didn't bother me at all. I did encounter many problems with the internet service in my room, in the downstairs and lobby level business centers on many days. I did report this to the GM on downstairs level, where he suggested that I try the computers at the lobbly level where the problem remained.

If you want to consider another Hilton property, there is a Hilton Garden Inn on the other side of the convention center, but it was booked so the Hampton Inn was my last resort and I had booked this hotel some seven months prior.

This Hampton Inn has some opportunity for improvement.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank EdUrias
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I certainly apologize for the condition of the room and lack of internet service. The hotel is in the process of upgrading the interent and hope to be turned over to the new system by mid December. We are installing new furniture in all guestrooms by the end of December,upgrading the bathroom amenities, and adding a bar in the near future.
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed 31 October 2011

If convenience to the Convention Center is important to you, the location is tough to beat. It was raining like crazy the week I was there. It is literally 100 feet from the front door of the hotel to a covered walkway attached to the convention center on 13th street.

Pros
--------

Reasonably priced.

Decent interior.

Friendly, attentive staff.

Clean, quiet, comfortable.

Apparently there is a new bar on the way with an outdoor seating area that should shield guests from the street people a little better than the current open front porch.

Very convenient to Convention Center.

Cons
--------

The press-board desk was chewed up a bit.

It's "on the wrong side of the tracks"; that is, there are lots of street people around and there isn't much to do within 4-5 blocks except the convention center.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank NoRebounds
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review concerning your recent stay. We love to get feedback and this tell s futre guests what to expect. The hotel is upgrading the internet, adding a liquor bar, and installing all new furniture in the guestrooms and this will all be complete by the end of the year.
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Just got back from my stay at this hotel and I must say I have mixed reviews. For starters, I was terribly dissatisfied with the location of the hotel. Down one block east on Race Street is a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, not sure what. But what I do know is the patrons of the shelter/kitchen made it extremely uneasy for me to walk down the street. My first hour at the hotel I witnessed cops putting handcuffs on someone. After that I saw numerous police vehicles in the vicinity for the next 2 days. While some people may find comfort in that, I must warn you that numerous cops in one area means the area has problems. I witnessed many people up and down race street that appeared to have at one time or another had substance abuse problems as well as anger/emotional problems as they yelled aloud in the streets and kicked garbage around. I know, some of you may say thats the price you pay for picking a hotel in the city, but I can assure you as I walked past the Ritz Carlton, the Marriott and numerous other hotels I did not witness the same conditions. The hotel itself was nice. The front desk lacked to deliver a corkscrew we asked for not once but twice. The breakfast was mediocre. The staff was friendly and accomodating and the room was very clean. Upon arriving home I noticed they over charged me for my stay to the tune of $550, but it was immediately rectified by hotel personnel. While I appreciated the cleanliness, I did not appreciate the deplorable conditions met on the outside. While that may not be the fault of the Hampton Inn, it will definitely impact my future research into choosing a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side of the Convention Center unless you like to be awoke during the middle of th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa W
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your experience concerning your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. Your comments about some of the people outside the hotel are correct. There is a soup kitchen located down the street and it is open Monday-Friday for lunch. The city does patrol the "convention" area more frequent that other parts of the city. Accross the street is a police office for the convention center. I understand your observations around the hotel and the mayor and local community leaders are aware of the downtown opportunities. I apologize for the the other problems you incurred at the hotel.