“Really Delivered For This 1st Time Visitor”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Kingston, NY
“Really Delivered For This 1st Time Visitor”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

It was a whirlwind business visit to Philadelphia for me. Needed an affordable choice near JFK Plaza. This Hampton Inn across from the Convention Center was an easy 5 block walk from my destination and adjacent to Chinatown. While the room and corridor seemed a bit dated, all was clean and very comfortable. In fact, more quiet and comfortable than I was anticipating. Didn't expect much of a view out the window and didn't get one. The neighborhood seemed borderline sketchy, especially the one block nightttime walk from the self park lot. But I walked alone uneventfully to and from Chinatown where I had a wonderful meal at a Thai restaurant recommended by the front desk staff. There was a fitness center and pool/hottub one floor down from the lobby, all of which I enjoyed using. The staff members I dealt with, from the front desk to the gym, were all exceptional, enthusiastic in their desire to be of help and pleasant. There was welcoming cider and cookies at check in and the breakfast area had a surprising amount of available seating. The only disappointment was the breakfast food itself. Except for the now obligatory self serve waffle iron, all other hot food was inferior, including instant oatmeal. But for free, it seems a petty complaint.
If I return to this part of Philadelphia again, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: While my room faced eats, It seems to me there might be a better view from the west side of the corr...
1 Thank upthehudson
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. The associates love to review these to see"how" they are doing. The hotel works hard to deliver this type of service you experienced. We are constantly improving and presently are installing new furniture in all guestrooms, adding a bar and upgrading the interent all within the next two months.
Thank you for being OUR guest.
Roger Weber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed here for six nights for a conference. The staff are very friendly, the rooms are big and clean and the location is good.

The breakfast isn't amazing though free. Most of the hot food is processed (cheese omelettes, sausage patties) and you can get a lot better in the area.

I paid higher rates because the city was sold out of hotel rooms because of the conference and it probably isn't worth the mark-up but it's fine and a comfortable stay.

• Stayed November 2011
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time write this review. Your feedback is important to us and it's a way of improving. Your comments about the cleanliness and size of the room are welcomed. The hotel is installing all new guestroom furniture and upgrading the internet.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I didn't have a bad stay at this hotel but having spent over $200 for one night I really felt I should have gotten more for my money.

The hotel has a fairly decent location on the edge of downtown, but I wouldn't want to walk too much further north. You could tell it was "on the edge" before it started getting rougher. That said it was in walking distance to the food market, historic center and downtown. Staff at check in were very helpful and friendly, and were always willing to assist with other requests or advice on what to see or do in the area.

One criticism I have is I requested at the time of booking a room on a higher floor with a view of the city. So I was disappointed to get a room on the 2nd floor with a view of some air conditioning units. The room was quite small and quite old/tatty, but at least it was dark so I slept well. Or I would have if we hadn't had two phone calls and two knocks on the door from staff who'd got the wrong room number for a wake up call and luggage collection. Bathroom was decent - spacious and everything worked.

Breakfast was included, which was welcome. The quality wasn't amazing but there was a decent choice and honestly I've seen much much worse. Staff were keen to make sure everyone was happy at breakfast, so they obviously care what their customers think.

If there were a cheaper hotel in downtown I would probably go there, but you know what you get with the Hampton and I wouldn't have any qualms with staying the odd night at this place again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vietnamese_Whirl
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The feedback from these are reviewed with the entire staff. We are in the process of replacing all the furniture in the guestrooms, adding a bar, upgrading the internet, and improving our bathroom amenities. Our mission is always trying to get better. The views from the guestrooms are really limited. Only the 10 and 11 floors facing the city are what you consider decent views. When the convention center was built it removed some of the views. The rates do vary week to week and that depends on the demand in the city(convention/sporting events/etc.).
Thank you for being our guest and hope to see you back.
Atascadero, California
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I was a little apprehensive to stay at a Hampton Inn but I have to admit this was the nicest, cleanest and bar far most comfortable hotel I have been in on business travel. I attended a 4 day convention and it was so nice to walk 1 block to the conference. As a female I was a little concerned with walking alone from a hotel when I was booking the reservation but I was more than comfortable with the walk once I saw it. I didn’t have to deal with cabs or parking or shuttles like everyone else. There was always a lovely breakfast in the morning, coffee or tea 24/7 in the lobby and refreshments put out in the evening for guest. I had to send a pair of jeans out to be dry cleaned and later found out there was laundry onsite for guest to use but that was minor. The décor is modern, clean and light. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. GREAT JOB Hampton Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. This feedback is very important for us to improve. I'm very pleased we made you feel comfortable during your stay. Our mission is to have contact with each guest to assist them with any questions that might make their stay more enjoyable..
Thanks foe being our guest.
Maryland
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed here for several nights while attending a convention. Incredible location for a great price. The service was magnificent, breakfast was generous, and I especially enjoyed the lobby with comfortable booths to sit in with free coffee/tea/cocoa.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It's important for us to get feedback. Yes we are next door to the convention center and within walking distance to many restaurants and historical sites. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back in Philly.
Shenandoah, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The hotel is located in close to downtown activities during the day. My daughter and I checked in on a Sunday late afternoon and walked to Chinatown for dinner. Walking in the evening you find yourself in a pretty deserted area. Best to know where you are going before heading out. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The morning breakfast good. Strongly recommend this for a stay in Philly

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SLRC
Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. The feedback is most appreciated especially about the staff and cleanliness. We are in the process of redoing our restaurant guide which will help guests find the right restaurant.
Thank you for staying with us.
New Providence, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I visited Philly with my daughter and her children ages 4 and 9. It was everything we needed and more. It was close enough to walk to the historic sights. Breakfast was great. They had a pool to help wear out the kiddos. I never felt unsafe. There is a convenience store across the street and a pizza place around the corner (Jakes I think). Both of which we took advantage. Jakes will deliver but is close enough that my daughter walked over to pick it up. Everyone at the Hampton was friendly and helpful. We will definitely come back.
P.S. Take advantage of The BIg Bus Tour, very knowledgeable guides.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Thank you writing your experience concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We are getting better so when you return your experience will be even better. We are adding new furniture to all guestrooms, adding a bar, upgrading the internet, and improving our bathroom amenities.