“Nice hotel, great location, well worth it”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #27 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Montreal
“Nice hotel, great location, well worth it”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Stayed in August with the family and was very pleased. Rooms were clean, quite and modern. The location is great, right downtown within walking distance to many sites, and the breakfast area was very nice (full continental breakfast with plenty of seating). Only downside was a somewhat noisy A/C unit in our room and the pool area is somewhat of a joke (but our kids didn't seem to care). Parking was an extra $20/night which I wasn't happy about, but it seems like the norm in downtown Philadelphia. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a very good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank JonnyCanuck99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 August 2009

When I walked into the lobby, I was met with a smile and the man behind the reception desk gave me a warm welcome. He checked me in quickly and efficiently and let me know about the free breakfast area, the business center, and the pool hours. The room was clean and everything worked. The bathroom was clean and there were no stains, broken tiles, or anything else wrong.
The staff, from reception, housekeeping, maintenance, the breakfast area, and even the valets were all extremely friendly and welcoming.
The location is kind of a mixed bag. The hotel is located right next to the Convention Center, so that's very handy if you have meetings there. There is a pizza joint within a block, and a Quizno's across the street from that. McDonald's is two or three blocks away. Also within walking distance is the Reading Terminal Market which houses dozens of kiosks, restaurants, produce, as well as butchers and seafood stores. Center City (the business and shopping district) is about 5 or 6 blocks away. The immediate neighborhood of the hotel is kind of a fringe area, with graffiti, and the occasional unfortunate person asking for a handout. But hey, it's a big city, what should we expect, right?
Overall I enjoyed my stay. I certainly couldn't ask for better service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank TravellingEast
Netherlands
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We booked this hotel through Ebookers. It was not too expensive, and in my opinion it was good value for money. We did get a two double beds room. The beds were quite small, considering that we were four adults. However, the room was nice and quite spacious. The check-in was quick and pleasant. The fitness is quite alright: two treadmills, two bikes and some dumbles. The pool was small and was located inside. I did not use it.
The breakfast was alright: in my opinion, it was an extended continental breakfast, but I expected more from a 'full hot breakfast'. One morning, they served eggs and grease, while the other morning they served waffles and sausages.
The location is very good. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the center. I suspect that when the construction is finished, it will be even less. We had a room on the seventh floor. We stayed during the weekend and were not disturbed by any noise. I have no clue whether they really worked during the weekend.
They WiFi they offered was very quick.
Lastly, the parking is $20 per night. It is not a parking lot, but just a private company across the street where you have to leave your keys since they sometimes have to move your car to park other cars. I did not like that very much. On the other hand, when I wanted to take something from my car, immediately someone asked me to prove that it was my car.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
MO
Reviewed 15 July 2009

There is extensive construction across the street which is not disclosed on the hotel's website. The noise from the construction site woke up my children at 4 a.m. in the morning and it was so noisy that they were not going to nap later in the day. We were able to switch to rooms on the other side of the hotel; however, the type of room we originally reserved was not available. So, we ended up in smaller rooms.

The parking is a joke. The hotel has no parking; the hotel contracts with a private company to provide valet service or you can park in a pay lot down the street. The pay lot was constantly full during our stay so the only option was valet. I have never seen a more incompetent valet service. It took on average 30 to 45 minutes to get your car. We were constantly running late because we never knew how long it was going to take to get the car (the hotel says to allow approximately 15 minutes).

The only positive was the front desk staff during the day. They were very nice in spite of the circumstances.

I would only recommend this hotel to someone who was going to meetings at the convention center, wasn't going to spend a lot (or any time) at the hotel and was traveling via taxi.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank VMCS
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2009

The complimentary breakfasts were not great, with rubber-like eggs, but it was in a very nice location, with a nice view of the city from our room window on the ninth floor.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Upstate, NY
Reviewed 7 July 2009

This hotel is a bit on the older side and rooms are small, but clean. It was within walking distance of most of the tourist attractions. Self parking was relatively close. No complaints for an overnight stay, we just needed someplace to sleep. Breakfast was a bit hectic Sunday morning.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I recently stayed at this Hampton Inn for 2 nights for a wedding I was attending. My boyfriend is a Hilton Gold member and we used points to book the stay.

The wedding was about 8 blocks away down Race street, so the location was great. Also, I explored the city during the day and was able to walk to several tourist attractions and shopping and eating places. Great location!

My main complaint about the hotel was that a fire alarm went off on Saturday morning, and continued to go on and off for about 15 minutes. This was followed by an announcment from the front desk staff that the alarm was pulled and no evacuation was needed, but not before I had already called the front desk to ask what was going on.

Also, the walls are thinner than most Hampton Inns, and the doors make loud noises when the shut. I heard people coming in and out and talking through the hallway most of the evening.

I used the gym and indoor pool, and enjoyed both! Small selection of fitness equipment, but all new and in good shape. Nice size pool and hot tub. Great perks!

I was shocked that breakfast was not included, as that is usually a standard commodity at the Hampton Inn. Also shocked at the expensive parking option ($23 per night, no in and out priviledge).

All in all, an average to above average option for downtown Philly.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
jgrassi, Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2009
The Hampton Inn Philadelphia offers a hot breakfast buffet every morning to its guests. This is a brand standard at all Hampton Inn's. Our parking rates are 10 to 15 dollars less than our competitors. At Hampton we strive to provide the best possible experience at the best possible cost for our guests.