“Got to love it!”

Mama's Vegetarian
Ranked #339 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Israeli
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This little hole in the wall still produces very good vegetarian kosher food time after time. Service is friendly and quick...you need to know how to make a selection if not familiar with fallafel/Israeli street food, and how to negotiate the free salad bar offerings on a tiny paper plate. Or to find a table in the often crowded space. Don't look for any ambience beyond that of an adventure, but good food at good prices.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

When I asked my friends what to do in philly they ALL told me I have to try this place. I don't consider myself a falafel enthusiast but i must say that this was probably the best falafel ive ever had. so if you really like falafel, i'm pretty sure this place has a big table of this stuff for you in heaven.

1  Thank arid2923
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Since my first, less than exciting experience at Mama's, I went back to give it another try. This time, wow, what a difference. There were far fewer people crowding the restaurant. The server had the chance to chat with me about my order, and I had time to collect some condiments without feeling rushed out of the way.

Even better, the falafel this time was really quite good. That unusual spice I tasted last time was not there this time. Half a sandwich was plenty for a lunch meal. At $3.50, that was quite a bargain!

Try Mama's...and if your first visit isn't what you'd hoped, try it again!

1  Thank HRDProf
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Everyone seems to rave about Mama's. It was okay, but I am not ready to rave about it...yet.

The pros: it's vegetarian and it's very easy for me to get to; pretty reasonably priced, too.

The cons: the falafel was okay, but too much of a spice for me...was it nutmeg? I couldn't tell. When I went, it was incredibly busy and the footprint is small (in fact, every time I've walked by it has been busy, which makes me wonder what the heck I am missing about it?!?!). I wasn't able to keep back and decipher what was very clearly a restaurant regular culture here--what to order, when to order, how to order, where to get accompaniments, etc. I could feel stabbing knife eyes from others in line that I was taking too long and restrained patience from the server. It's cash only...not really a 'con', but be aware when you go!

Having said that, I am still planning on stopping by again to try something else. For a veg restaurant so close with cuisine that I usually really enjoy, I'm not giving up after a single so-so experience!

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Staff friendly and food delicious. Good proximity to major attractions. We had the falafel and french fries and enjoyed both.

1  Thank npolachek