“Short trip to relax in Philadelphia”

Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We wanted to go to the Van Gogh exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in mid-March 2012 and take in other museums and cultural experiences and the Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City was ideally located. Positives: Perfect location to walk to many magnificent cultural and architectural sites such as the main Masonic Temple which is right across the street, the Philadelphia Museum of Art which is a nice walk of a bit over a mile, etc. The breakfast, as in all Residence Inns, is extensive and very enjoyable. The "free" dinner at night is not gourmet in any sense, but fills ones tummy and is great if you are on a budget. The room was badly in need of a new couch and chair as they were very soft and saggy. The TV should be updated if you are into watching movies and such a lot instead of enjoying the beautiful and historic city of Philadelphia.The king-size bed was decent, but perhaps a little on the too soft side . At all times the staff was very polite, and helpful and the cleanliness was perfect. The Valet Parking, however, at the Residence Inn is way too expensive at $45 per 24 hours and if you plan to walk or take cabs to cultural facilities, we found much more cost-effective parking at Parkway self-service garage on Walnut and 12th which charged us a total of $66 for 72 hours!

Room Tip: We always ask for rooms not near elevators, ice-machines or facing noisey streets. We were pleased...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ericjf2

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Air cond did not work entire time, even after engineering came up to tkae a look. Rooms are very tatty - kind of made your skin start to itch when you walked in, bed sagged big time. The gym (LL)and lounge (2nd flr) were both in very nice shape and quite nice. What lobby they have smells like an ashtray, since all the smokers think they are doing you a favor by standing directly outside of the revolving door to smoke. There was a very larg group of muslims staying there, and EVERY DAY, starting around 11 AM, the men-folk woudl take over the lounge area - lounging, of course, but with their shoes off, feet on the cushions and talking quite loudly. In the evening they again (about 20 of them) would take over the lounge , playing cards, or Strageo, or whatever, ,making it impossible to meet or chat with others in our group before we went out. This place felt more like a flop house than a Marriott. I reccomend that Marriot either get rid of the Residence Inn feature and convert to a regualr hotel or sell the property - it looks like it belongs in a bad part of town. Get location however, nice staff, just trashy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
ManagerAP, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you for your comments and kind words about our renovated lounge and fitness center. I apologize the whole of your stay did not meet your expectations. Having your guest room at a comfortable temperature is certainly important and I plan to further investigate the issue regarding your air conditioning to ensure the problem is completely resolved.

Be assured that if a particular group is engaging in blatantly disruptive or offensive behavior a member of our staff will intervene. However, it is our goal to make all of our guests feel welcome at the hotel- including enjoying our wonderful common areas.

Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not met and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I want to compliment the staff at the Residence Inn at One Penn Square for their professionalism and care during our business trip. I want to particularly praise Vicki in housekeeping who attended to our room, anticipated our needs, and was extremely helpful with the needs of my dad. She was friendly like I had known her all my life and treated us with respect. She is a diamond in the rough. My husband works for Hyatt in Santa Barbara and she exemplifies the type of people that work there and understand the attention to detail over and above the call of duty! I will be recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Philadelphia as a great business destination hotel!

Room Tip: Stay on any floor where Vicki is the housekeeper. She spent a lot of time and attention to the detai...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Two blocks from the Convention Center, this was the perfect place to stay to see the Philadelphia Flower show. The room was spotless, the kitchen well-equipped, comfy bed. We stayed on the 15th floor with a lovely view of City Hall and the skyline. The room was very quiet, which is a must for me as I'm a light sleeper - we didn't hear the surrounding neighbors or street traffic. Staff was helpful, friendly, and responsive (we needed sheets for the sofa bed and they sent them up immediately). Breakfast had a lot of options, from cereals, yogurt, toast to eggs, sausage and make your own waffles. We'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: John at the front desk asked our room preferences and then chose a room with a view for us.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was a great stay for my family of 5 - me, my husband, and three teenage kids. I had checked out many hotels and decided on this one because of TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that the suite could sleep my family of 5 and it had two bathrooms!! The price of this hotel and the location could not be beat. We gave our car to the valet and didn't need it again until we left Philly 3 days later. This hotel is in a great location to walk to so many areas.
The staff at the front desk and the valet parking attendants were great at our arrival. The hotel was very clean and our room was well appointed. Some reviewers mentioned that the hotel was older, but we didn't find this to be a problem at all. Our room overlooked the city and it was just a great view. Everything was clean and very comfortable. The beds were so comfortable.
Breakfast was very good also. Saved time and money eating in. The selection was very good and fresh.
Overall, this was a great stay for us. This hotel was very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Stayed on 20th floor - great views and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Overall a good choice - but a warning at the end!
We stayed just one night for a conference at the Marriott convention center. The hotel staff was excellent. Very friendly and very helpful. Our room wasn't ready yet because we came in around 11:00 AM for that night. The staff took our bags and held them behind the desk and gave us access to their lounge on the second floor and a key for access to the business center on the lower lobby.
The rooms are dated as observed in other reviews, but very comfortable and clean. The hotel location on the square is excellent. Within easy walking distance to shopping and events downtown.
Warning - valet parking is mandatory at his hotel. When we arrived the valet was very friendly and extremely helpful. I felt very comfortable leaving him in care of my car. However, when we picked up the car the next day as we are driving away I saw a coin token that I keep in the glove compartment had been moved (dropped) in the cup holder well of the car. Obviously someone went through my glove compartment or my change drawer. The hotel states that the cars are kept offsite and they are not responsible for article in the car, but I feel it is their responsibility to ensure belongings are secure, especially since the valet parking is mandatory.
Over all I was pleased with my stay at the hotel, but be warned make sure you take all valuables (including change in your ashtray) with you as the parking is NOT secure.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank EmptyNest1108
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Although the hotel was hard to find at first, we called them up were only a block away. It's name doesn't stand out but it's right next to a Dunkin Donuts. Our room faced City Hall, which was nice. Smaller than other Res Inns we've been too, but still worked for us.

It was DH, myself and our 2 children ages 4 and 6. We walked to Jones restaurant for dinner and had about a 20min wait for a table. Took about 10min to get there.

We used valet for parking since there was no way I was going to try and self park, then walk with 2 kids, bags and toys back to the hotel.

In the morning, we were heading to the auto show and I happened to ask if they had any tickets, and they did, so we scored some free tix, always a plus.

Breakfast was great, fountain soda too which is good for me.

Would def. stay here again. Only wish they had a pool!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family