“Great Free Breakfast”

Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #38 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I just got back from a night at the Residence Inn Phila. Center City. The location is great, within walking distance to the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center, The Gallery, The Reading Terminal Market, and lots more. The only parking is valet, and it's not cheap, but it was convenient and our car was delivered in a timely manner. The staff were all very friendly. The included full hot breakfast was lovely. There was anything you can imagine to eat. You can cook your own hot waffles, there were prepared breakfast sandwiches, prepared yogurt parfaits, plus eggs, sausage, hot and cold cereal, 3 different juices, coffee, tea, etc. I could go on and on - it was quite a nice breakfast in a beautiful room. They thought of everything - there was even whipped cream for the waffles. The room we had was a suite with a separate bedroom, living area, and fully equipped kitchen. The room seemed older and had old style tv's in both the bedroom and the living room. The bathroom was comfy and the bed was soft, with a couple different types of pillows. I can't stress how helpful and nice the staff was. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of City Hall which is right next door. We had a straight on view of the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 April 2012

What more could you want!?
The Center city area of Philadelphia has 3 Marriott properties within 2 blocks of eachother, so prior to a recent business trip to the city, I was trying to figure out which one to book. Marriott's Residence Inn brand is definitely more functional rather than luxurious compared to the others, but it does the trick.
On arrival, I was greeted by the pleasant staff and informed that my Marriott rewards status made me eligible for a free upgrade (I was already staying on points). Minutes later I was relaxing in my 1 bedroom suite on the 21st floor overlooking city hall.
Little did I know that the best part was awaiting me the following morning with a quite impressive continental breakfast of waffles, eggs, sausage, melon, +++. Definitely more than I expected for a free hotel breakfast.
The hotel also has a very nice common area on the 2nd floor for those who want to get out of their room to do some work. Independence Hall is only a 10 minute walk away, while the Market line subway or Reading Terminal Market are both around the corner.
I'll definitely be staying here on future trips to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Many of the higher floor rooms have great views of city hall
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank gt13
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I spent the month of March at the Residence Inn. I was very pleased with everything. Although I was there on business, I thought it was the perfect spot for a family trip to Philadelphia. The two bedroom suites have small bedrooms but an adequate sized living room between with a kitchen. If you give the front desk your grocery list by 9:00, they go grocery shopping for you, at no added charge.
The one bedroom mini-suites are a great option for business travelers. It combines a small work area with a bedroom and kitchen.
The hot breakfast seven days a week was included and far superior to most chains offering this option. Scrambled eggs, waffles, a breakfast meat (usually turkey Canadian bacon) and potatoes were offered every day. Fruit was limited. Every weeknight, they offer a one entree dinner, hamburgers, pulled pork barbeque, etc. Both meals were good and an excellent bargain for families.
The front desk, facilities and housekeeping staff were all receptive, very courteous and eager to please.
The hotel is right across from City Hall in the middle of Philadelphia. There are lots of things within short walking distance.
Overall, my experience was outstanding. The other two Marriott properties have nicer amenities, but not nicer people and the Residence Inn has a better value for the price.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter, but only an issue during the day, if some type of event is taking place.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 4 nights 3 days. Overall I think the other Marriott properties in close proximity are much better options. Here's the overall positive/negative of my stay at this Residence Inn:

Positives: Location is near to everything. Valets are fantastic--friendly, professional, and doing a great job. No issues with our personal belongings in the car even though we left them in there on numerous occasions. Front desk staff were at least friendly but didn't do much to resolve some issues we encountered. 2nd floor lounge is updated, modern, and has coffee with to-go cups 24/7. Loved that. Fitness center and business center looked very nice although I didn't use them. Room was large, clean (albeit awkward design) and shower worked well. No sounds from rooms next door to use even though there were tons of kids staying for a marshal arts competition. It was great to have the full fridge and dishwasher and a real coffee maker. We took advantage of that and used all the appliances. The housekeeping service was very good the entire time.

Negatives: Okay, first of all, if you like aesthetics this is not your place. The front of the building is shabby (scaffolding, residence inn sign is falling off) and the tiny lobby very underwhelming. The rooms, as many mentioned, are worn. Carpet needs a serious upgrade. Weird stain on floor of kitchen that appeared permanent (grout material?) but just looked gross. Weird layout in the room where the TV is off at an angle that makes it hard to watch from the bed. We asked for a king and got a small queen. They could not accomodate our request for a king or two doubles but as a consulation they let us pick a snack out of the (limited) snack bar area for free. (whoo-hoo) The biggest pet peeve of mine is when a hotel toilet doesn't work right. This one didn't flush right the entire time we were there even though we complained and they supposedly fixed it. Internet wireless was unreliable and I had trouble staying connected. the TV options were terrible. No movies to rent or room service, but we knew that going in so I can't gripe too much about it.
Overall it was not a horrible experience, and I know we could've done worse, but it certainly left much to be desired. I would recommend the Courtyard right next door or if you have some extra cash, the full Marriott around the block. It was lovely. If more $$ is put into the Residence Inn, it will be a great hotel. They just need to invest in it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, preferably in the corner at the end of the hall if you like quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vivace21
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here in 2010 and it was perfect. Scheduled a stay here specifically because of its proximity to the SEPTA under City Hall.

This didn't work out.

It wasn't Residence Inn's fault - the station under City Hall is undergoing renovations. So instead of being able to take the SEPTA to the Wells Fargo Center for 2 nights of events, we took a cab. Unexpected and disappointed.

But Residence Inn was great. On check-in, we were wanting some cranberry juice to make some drinks. There were only 3 in the cooler for purchase, but the gentleman working the counter gladly brought some extras that we purchased up to the room within minutes of our arrival.

The room was terrific and the stay was quiet. When we arrived, there was no ice in the freezer. The ice maker had broken. Within 10 minutes an engineer was up there replacing the ice maker. Not only that, but he went back downstairs with our ice bin and filled it with ice for us. VERY nice.

I do have 1 minor complaint... the televisions. They work great, but they're pretty old. I would have really liked to have connected my computer to the TV. It's something I've gotten used to and was surprised/disappointed that Residence Inn didn't have this. Hopefully they'll upgrade the TVs in the rooms to the level of excellence that the rest of the hotel maintains.

One more thing... breakfast. It was FANTASTIC. Maybe the best breakfast buffet I've had at any Residence (or any of the other Marriott properties).

If I am back in Philly for anything, I will look to this hotel first for my accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank davechri
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This was my first stay at this inner city hotel. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The hotel was clean and the room was quiet. This hotel is located directly across from city hall. It is a short walk from the bus station. I will stay again when I am in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AML848
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Res Inn Philadelphia provided a great stay for out visit to Philly - perfect comfort and location fpr pleasure, tourist or business traveller. Location to see city center; take, tours, shop and dine are excellent. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Ample room to rest and when we chose to dine in our room, the room was well equipped.

Room Tip: High floors give wonderful views ovelooking City Hall and Masonic Temple. Corner rooms are available...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple