“Good hotel but a few problems”

Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel has a great location and seems to be generally the cheapest of the four Marriott properties in that area. I traveled twice to Philly in the last few weeks and stayed at 3 of the 4 Marriott's in Center City and I can say that this one is decent overall. I had a nice view of city hall from room and I liked the proximity to Septa and to a few good restaurants. My main complaints with this hotel are probably the main reason I would probably not stay here again though. First, there was no safe in my room. I had a small suite and I was surprised to look around and not see one. Also, on every day I was there, the water in the shower cut off at some point in the middle of my shower. It seems to be some kind of water pressure issue as I resolved it by just turning the water off and waiting a minute before turning it back on. Not what you expect from a nice Marriott. I mentioned it to the front desk and they said they would send maintenance to take a look but as you might imagine with a water pressure issue, maintenance can't fix it easily.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Michael S,

I wanted to thank you for commenting regarding your past stay with us in July. We are in a great location being in downtown Philadelpha. We are in the hub of activity with City Hall across the street and Reading Terminal two short blocks away. I did see that you commented that you were wanting a safe. We do have plenty of save deposit boxes located at the front desk. You also commented regarding no water pressure one morning. Unfortunately, there was a steam issue in the city that caused some issues with some hotels/offices one morning. Very sorry that you had this issue but the good news is that it came right back on for you. We do appreciate you staying with us and welcome you back for future visits.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is an older hotel - not as modern or chic if you are a Marriott member. I tried to get in the convention center hotel but they were booked. When we arrived and I knew there were nicer hotels we walked to the convention center location and they told me to come here ...I wanted to show my siblings a great time for the weekend including a nicer hotel as this was my gift. Price is good and rooms are spacious with the living area. I am spoiled by Marriott's other properties and wanted to share that experience with the family - that's all.

Room Tip: Stay up on the 10th floor or higher for the view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Virginia N,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in June. The hotel has a different feel than the other hotels in the city. The hotel has a historic past with being built back in the 1900's. We're lucky to have one of the nicest staff that any of the hotels have. We're extremely sorry that your hotel room was not up to standards that you were expecting when booking the hotel. If at any time you would like to talk further please don't hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel could not have a better location. I was coming in from the airport and the train stop is less than two blocks away. Independence Hall and LOVE sculpture is within walking distance. I arrived well before check-in time and was able to leave my bag with the front desk with no issues. I asked for a lunch recommendation and the front desk was extremely helpful (Reading Market). I arrived back at the hotel to check in and a room was ready to go and it was AWESOME! Kelly set us up in a corner studio (10th floor I believe). One view was of the city hall (beautiful at night) and the other was of Macy's. Cool aspect is that you have to use your room card to access the elevator. The sink and mirror were located outside the bathroom which is always a plus when traveling with others. I don't understand people commenting on the size of the bathroom, it's a vintage building, that is the way they built them! The bellman/valet were always there to open a door and greet us. Overall a great experience! Great priceline find!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that ends in 02
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kreampuff
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was in town with 3 colleagues to take an exam for a year-long certification course. We were so stressed and had lots of cramming to do. Marc, Thomas, and the rest of the staff could tell we were a bit flustered and accommodated a room change for one of us and our time constraints in fetching the car. Marc called The Walnut Street Supper Club and got us in during prime dining hours when everywhere else was full because of events in the city. They caught us coming back from our day long exam and asked us how it went, then gave us a complementary bottle of wine to celebrate! Exceptional friendly, personal service. I'm definitely coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Hall. The scaffolds are finally down and you can see the gorgeous facade.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Rey 72,

Thanks for the wonderfuly comments regarding how well Marc and Thomas took good care of you after a rough exam. Marc is one of the best supervisors that I've ever had in a hotel and you all got to see why. He will always go out of his way in making stays to be as good as they could possibly be. I'm so glad he was able to get you all into the Walnut Street Supper Club on a really busy night. So glad you loved Philly!

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

In for business for a night. Brought my oldest son. Great service! Attentive and helpful! Staff made sure we had everything we needed. We stayed on the 26th floor basically a one bedroom penthouse. Spacious well appointed. Clean well kept and what a view!! Hotel is central to everything. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear CrotonFM,

Thanks so much for commenting regarding how attentive, helpful and great service the team gave you during your business trip here with your son. Very happy to here that you had a wonderful stay in one of our suites.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My family and I chose Residence Inn as a package deal with Sesame Place. We couldn't be more pleased with our entire experience! Super clean hotel in general. Very nice room! Very comfortable. Extremely friendly staff. Shuttle Service to and from the park was great. Awesome breakfast in the morning. Nice indoor pool area. We couldn't be happier with our choice of hotels

Room Tip: we chose the one bedroom suite, spacious for our family of four. nice kitchen area with a full frid...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Courtney D,

Thanks for the nice comments regarding your stay but I think you accidentally chose the wrong Residence Inn. There is a Residence Inn located in Langhorne, PA which is located a block away from Sesame Street. We unfortunately do not have a pool at all so this couldn't be for our hotel. But thanks for the nice comments regarding our fellow Residence Inn hotel.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Spacious rooms with kitchen and living room, good location across from city hall, very strong WiFi. The staff was very courteous and accommodating for a busy weekend. The location really helped us navigate around the city. Would gladly stay again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ucfbeerknight,

Thanks for the nice comments regarding how large our suites are with full kitchen ammenities. Our Wi-fi is one of the fastest in the Philadelphia area supporting you in getting your work done faster while staying longer. Our team will always go to the next level in giving the best Marriott Service possible even during the busy weekends but thank you for saying.