“Almost a secret place”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The place is inside the Hotel, with a lovely winter garden. Very nice environment, china, flowers and music: a harpist was playing there !!!! I loved this part. Tea was good, but the cakes look better than taste..and are too small..I am glad that I was not hungry...really overpriced.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had a quiet afternoon high tea at the Mary Cassatt Tea Room in The Rittenhouse Hotel. The tea room is currently decorated with more modern furnishings. The room was a bit small, but it was a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere. We spent about 2 hours there without being rushed in any way. The set tea service was reasonably priced at $49 per person, which included a glass of sparkling wine (Spanish cava). The food was generous and artistic, and if you asked nicely you could even have seconds on both the bubbly and the pastries. What made my day was that the desserts included canelé de Bordeaux. I lit up as soon it was brought out after the savory course. This was my first and only high tea in both the States and abroad that included canelé de Bordeaux. Of course, they provided additional canelés for me upon request. We also purchased some tea (Duchess' First Love) to bring home. All in all we had a nice time.

2  Thank alviemsw
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I have been to the Mary Cassatt Tea Room before and I've had "Tea" in London a few times. I was not disappointed. Afternoon Tea was served with Prince Albert china in a beautifully appointed room with excellent service. I was in town during the holidays and invited a girlfriend who had never been to an Afternoon Tea, so it was a very enjoyable experience. The offerings were delicious, nothing over the top, but much better than most. Another area hotel serves their tea with restaurant grade white dishes and below average offerings for a much higher price.

The only thing missing was music. I would have liked some classical or piano music in the background.

I will definitely return in the Spring for the garden experience.

2  Thank Patricia N
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Overview
I planned a bridal shower at the Mary Cassatt Tea Room for a group of approximately 20 and had a wonderful experience working with the Rittenhouse. The Tea Room balances a clean, upscale and inviting environment with unpretentious staff that excels at customer service. One major advantage was that unlike some other venues in the Philadelphia area, the Mary Cassatt Tea Room did not require a space rental fee and we just needed to meet a minimum charge based on our guest count.

Event Planning/Event Space
Danielle from Special Events was my main contact. She was very accessible and responsive throughout the event planning process. Since I was planning the shower from out-of-town, she offered to take pictures of the event space and e-mail them to me. Upon Danielle's suggestion, we reserved the back corner of the Tea Room that had both a view of the main seating area and a window that overlooked the courtyard. Initially, I was concerned that the space would be not be private enough, but the high counters dividing the event space provided a sense of privacy. There was a baby shower occurring at the same time in the section next to us, but it was not obstructive to our event at all and we still felt like we had our own space. There was plenty of room for our group and couches/chairs, tables and counter space for the gift opening.

When I arrived at the Rittenhouse, Bruce and Danielle were on-site to answer some last questions and helped with some final preparations. We had a dedicated server for the entire time and Bruce checked in on us midway through the event, even helping to take pictures for the guests in attendance. The customer service was impeccable throughout and I appreciated the follow-through.

Food/Event Close-Out
The food was tasty, with a good combination of savory and sweet options. One of our guests was on a gluten-free diet and because we let the Tea Room know in advance, they were able to provide her with a specialized menu that she enjoyed. Anytime our sandwiches ran low, the server would provide a new plate. At the end of the shower, the staff did not rush us out and we appreciated the chance to have a soft close to the event. Also, the staff was very discreet about the final bill, tastefully sending it to me after the event rather than having me sign in front of the guests. Loading the car after the party was straightforward because the Rittenhouse had a driveway and the staff helped us.

Summary
I would highly recommend the Mary Cassatt Tea Room as an intimate setting for special occasion such as a bridal or baby shower. It is an ideal space for smaller groups (20 people and under). The larger space is also available for bigger groups and is also very nice as long as you don't mind being in the main seating area. I will definitely be back for afternoon tea in the near future.

2  Thank Convinced
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The room at the Rittenhouse Hotel is lovely and quiet, and the service is excellent. The offerings for high tea are just average, but the experience is still a good one.

2  Thank cheryld524