“Great Find - Lotsa beer”
Review of The Irish Pol

The Irish Pol
Ranked #1,444 of 4,405 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Great Find - Lotsa beer”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

A nice little Irish Pub, we stumbled onto this place for a snack and beer while site-seeing. The bartender was very knowledgeable and knew about every tap beer on his wall. We were able to have samples before we choose our brew of choice. We ordered the mustard wings -fantastic! Mac and Cheese bites, and chilly fries, they were all great. Prices were very reasonable. Try the wings! The local Brawler is a great brew.

• Visited January 2014

Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing beer selection!”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I recently found this place and will be going back whenever I am in Philly again!
It's a dark, average looking place with average bar snacks however the service was great - very helpful barman helped in the beer selection - and the beer...
It's rare you find a place with such a wide AND good selection of beers. Usually bars brag about the selection and they have 5 pumps, or they have 10 pumps of cat pee. However the Irish Pol has an awesome selection of beers.
Monday night is Monkey Wrench, playing Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam all night. What more could you ask for?

• Visited March 2013
stratford, connecticut
“Average dive, not so average selection!”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Walking up the street and we saw a sign that said "HEY! 40 taps!" and that got us to go in. We were the only customers as it was early, but at 5pm the place started happy hour with many $3 microbrews. The bartender was very funny and very nice. He said once one keg is kicked, they replace it with something different which we thought was great. They had plenty of beers to pick from!

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Low-key gem of a dive micro-brew bar”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The IRE Pol was across from where we stayed. I assumed it would always be packed as we checked into our hotel and was wary of all the drunkos and street noise I anticipated, but it was a actually a mellow, low-key place that made me feel ashamed I'd jumped to conclusions. So my question is why aren't more people at the Pol?
There's a whole wall of micro-brews on tap from across the country (yum!), with a good rep of local Philly/PA beers all the way over to Hawaii. Happy hour runs every night from 5-7 when at least 1/2 of the craft beers are only $3 a pint (!). I wish we had stumbled in there sooner. Our bill for 6 beers was $18. Between the Pol and the pizza slice place around the corner, we were in drink/munchie heaven.
Random mix of people, from Jersey shore types to Philly college students grabbing a drink before they meet up with their group that night to party to laborers to local residents to tourists like us. But it was always super relaxed. Again, this is a dive bar so don't show up from a high-end hotel and look around with a stink face after reading this review because the "micro-brew" caught your eye and you were expecting more (but you're right, the bathrooms do need some TLC). Barkeep's iPod music is loud and always playing (for us, a mix of Pearl Jam and other 1990's music the various nights we went), and there's 2 TVs for sports. They show all the Phillies games. Small menu of fried apps and hot dogs, but I don't think there's someone in a kitchen cooking so it's the barkeep nuking or frying frozen fare.
Bottom line: this would be my watering hole if I lived in the area.

• Visited March 2012