“The Philly I never knew before”

Free and Friendly Tours
Ranked #21 of 74 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a Free and Friendly walking tour with us! It’s free, which means you tip us what you want. It’s friendly because we’re friendly folks. And it’s Philadelphia because we love it and want you to love it too. We’re a Philly company and we’ll show you the whole Philadelphia – or the whole of what’s in walking distance. We lend our friendship freely and we’ll gladly recommend a place to go out after the tour.
Reviewed 4 June 2012

These guys have their research down pat. I took the Billy Penn tour with Free and Friendly Mark on a Sunday, and I absorbed more information about the architecture of City Hall, the historical quarrels of Quakers, and the origins of the modern price tag than I did in my entire lifetime living in the suburbs of Philadelphia. The tour starts around 2:30 in the central plaza of City Hall, but you should ideally be at least 15 to 20 minutes early. Be ready for a walk - this is a genuine tour of the city on foot! I brought water and a towel to stay cool in the May sun. If you get tired, rest assured that the route makes a pitstop at the Reading Terminal Market, which sells food and has bathroom facilities. While the tour itself is free, the folks operate on tips - but they easily deserved every penny of the $10.25 I gave them!

Reviewed 30 May 2012

This tour was great. Mike was my tour guide and was a pleasure to walk around old city with. He was polite, friendly, and above all knowledgable about the sights in Philadelphia. He kept the tour fun and interesting. I would highly recomend this tour to anyone local, or out of town.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I really enjoyed my walking tour of Philadelphia. My guide, Mike, was enthusiastic, friendly and full of interesting stories which he told (and at times performed!) theatrically. My only 'disappointment'? That there were not more people to share in such a quality tour! So, get down to City Hall Philadelphia and look for the Free and Friendly sign - it's really worth it!

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I went on the afternoon Billy Penn tour a few days ago and what a tour! Mike, the tour guide, provided plenty of insight on the hidden gems of Philadelphia, along with detailed histories of the eclectic architecture of City Hall, Academy of Fine Arts and other buildings along Market Street. It wasn't my first time in Philly - I've already done the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall sightseeing. Yet I learned more about the actual city of Philadelphia and got a taste of its unique culture because of this tour. Also, Mike is really awesome at answering your questions - he is a really enthusiastic guide. It is plenty of walking, so I recommend wearing some comfortable shoes and you're set for this tour! I look forward to my next trip to Philly and go on the morning tour! Believe me, as someone who pretty much wrote off Philly during a visit years ago, I'm glad to see how wrong I was about this city! Thanks, Free and Friendly Tours!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

I enjoyed the morning tour so much that I decided to go on the afternoon one as well. Both were great fun and highly enjoyable. Definitely check them out.