“William Penn”

Free and Friendly Tours
Ranked #18 of 74 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a Free and Friendly walking tour with us! It’s free, which means you tip us what you want. It’s friendly because we’re friendly folks. And it’s Philadelphia because we love it and want you to love it too. We’re a Philly company and we’ll show you the whole Philadelphia – or the whole of what’s in walking distance. We lend our friendship freely and we’ll gladly recommend a place to go out after the tour.
“William Penn”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Our guide Mike was great! He was very entertaining and informative .

We will be sure to tell our family and friends to take the tour.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Excellent walking tour!”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This tour was great and as a foreign traveller I felt that it was a brilliant way to explore the city in a different way from the usual tourist tours. Our guide mike was enthusiastic and had genuine passion about the city which enhanced our experience of the city. I would recommend everyone to use this company if you visit Philadelphia!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Learned a lot and was entertained”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My boyfriend and I decided on a last minute weekend trip to Philadelphia. Once we arrived we were looking for inexpensive experiences we could take advantage of and of course, at the top of the list of our search was Mike & Mark's Free & Friendly Tour of Philadelphia. We opted for the shorter Billy Penn tour and we really learned a lot in the short amount of time we were with Mike (who led the tour). He was entertaining and peppered the tour with interesting tidbits. I would definitely recommend this tour if you're looking for a short and fun walking tour of Philadelphia.

Visited August 2012
San Francisco, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Great tour in Philadelphia”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is the first time I visit Philadelphia. I didn't have much time stay there, so I booked the Billy Penn Tour online. I am really happy to join this tour. On that day, I and the other lady are the only two guesses. Mark showed us a lot of place in Philadelphia.He told us a lot of interesting things about this place. He really know this place very well. I like the way that he introduce Philadelphia by telling us the story. It's a very friendly, interesting tour. The tour took about 2 and a half hour. It's a great experience for a person who doesn't know much about this city. If you have chance to be there, take the tour with them.

Visited August 2012
Newark, Delaware
“Independence Day Tour”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I would highly recommend the Free and Friendly Tours company for anyone who would like to visit Philadelphia and learn more about this country's past. The tour leader was friendly, intelligent, and pragmatic with his the layout with the tour. This is a great experience for families of student groups.

This year I celebrated my fourth of July by venturing to Philadelphia, the emissary of our nation and of global brotherhood, for the day. The sight of ribbons, servicemen, and parades would have certainly awed our Founding Fathers if they were alive to see the legacy they inspired. I scheduled The Cheese Steak Tour to explore the heart of this great city and immerse myself in the heritage our ancestors had pondered and labored upon for the benefit of my generation the best way I knew how. My passion in life is the greater understanding of freedom and of humanity, and I could think of no better place to be on this glorious occasion.

I met Mr. Carwile to begin the tour on Chestnut street, where we then weaved in and out of colonial actors, horse-draw carriages, and passers-by. We came upon The Library Company, founded by none other than Benjamin Franklin, who during his day had a tremendous influence not only within Philadelphia, but across the Atlantic as well. We then traveled up a block towards Independence Hall, where The Constitution and The Declaration of Independence were deliberated over some two-hundred years ago. It should be noted that Mr. Carwile had a working knowledge of history, and was able to deviate from the preordained structure of the tour to enter more loose discussion about topics as they arose. As we came across an old Quaker Meeting House, now nothing but a garden of ivy, we compared and contrasted the mentalities of the Puritans over the Quakers. I learned that The Puritans, with their scrupulous attitude towards life, retained the physical churches and institutions in New England but largely have ideological faded away, while the Quakers, due to their passive nature, have not maintained their buildings but have many locally practicing members of their faith today. We walked towards the restored framework of Dr. Franklin's estate, which was maintained by his family before being leveled some time after his death. After a long morning of walking, we aptly ended the tour nearby Jim's Steaks on South Street, as I was rather hungry for the regional delicacy, cheese steaks.

Visited July 2012