“Downtown Meeting”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Flower Mound, United States
“Downtown Meeting”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Hotel is about 45 minutes from airport. Hotel listed as about 5 miles from downtown and it took almost 25 minutes to get there. Cabs are not readily available, so expect to wait around 10 to 15 minutes.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I am truly sorry that you encountered transportation issues in going from the hotel to Center City. While it is only five miles from the hotel to Center City there are times where traffic can back up and delays occurr. Aside from these travel related issues I hope that your stay was otherwise pleasant and enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed here for one night for a meeting at the college next door. While the room was clean and the bed comfortable (and my room was quite large but I think I was upgraded as an HH Gold) there is lots about this hotel that could be improved. As others have noted some of the room furniture is worn -- might be time for an update.

Service in the restaurant is okay, but can be slow (at least the times was there).

My biggest concern was with little things. The business center had UPS shipping labels, but no envelopes/UPS boxes, nothing. I asked at the front desk and the response was basically non-responsive -- no we don't have any.... I expect more from a full service HIlton.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to post a review. I truly appreciate your feedback and would like to personally apologize for the lack true hospitality that was displayed by the team member when you brought your concerns to their attention. I assure you that this is not the norm here at the hotel and I am sorry that this was the type of interaction that you encountered. I will be sure to share your thoughts with all members of the team. Thank you.
Martinsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

My family had 2 rooms in this center city hotel. As is the case with urban hotels, almost every amenity comes with a cost. Parking is a steep $10 a day.
The club and desk chairs in both rooms were torn and/or missing the brown bonded leather in many places. The tan fabric showed where the leather was missing, giving the chairs a mottled effect. The mattresses could use replacing.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and, for this reason, the hotel deserves 4 stars.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was please to read that the hotel's Service Team met your needs and expectations and assisted in making your stay pleasant and enjoyable. I truly appreciate the feedback you have supplied with regards to issues related guest room decor and wear and tear. This information is valued and will be put to good use. I hope that you will choose to stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Nice view on the 10th floor. Friendly staff and front desk. nice amenities for Hilton Honors members. Had one meal in the bar. Comfortable bar, decent pizza. I'm looking forward to next week when I'm back again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was very pleased to read that the hotel and it's Service Team met your needs and expectations during your stay. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team. I hope to have you as a guest again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Bloomfield, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were here for nights while my father was in the hospital. Everything was great. Room was clean, the food was good and the staff was very friendly and efficient. I couldn't ask for me. I should mention I have worked in the hotel industry so I can see more than the average guest and I was very impressed with every aspect of my stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was very pleased to read that the hotel and it's Service Team met your needs and expectations. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team. I do hope that you will choose to stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel did not live up to our expectations. We were encouraged to book the Executive Floor so that we'd have a quieter room and use of the private Executive Loung, but we were told upon check-in that the lounge was not open (it apparently never is during the holiday season). And even before the elevator doors opened, we could hear screaming in the hallways as a large Bar Mitzvah was going on in the hotel and this floor had been booked for all the young girls. There was constant yelling and door slamming, so we had the hotel move us to another floor (Room #1121).

To be fair to the hotel, they did give us a larger corner room and adjusted our cost down a little bit and they sent a bell hop to move us, which is something they didn't offer when we first checked in. So, we would have let the situation slide if not for the so very numerous things that were wrong in our room and the hotel in general. I'll just list them below:
1) The bathroom vanity is made of wood that is badly worn and water stained. The wear and tear on the other wood and laminate furniture is noticeable throughout the room, too.
2) The fake-leather lounge-chair and ottoman are very badly cracked and looks like something you'd see dumped on the side of the road.
3) The ironing board had dried food on it in two places and I had to scrape it off with a flat blade and wipe it down before using. The iron is more like a silly child's toy and I wasn't able to use it to get my shirt really wrinkle free.
4) The phone by the bed didn't work. It was plugged in, but the lights were out and it just didn't work. Thank goodness my cell phone worked so I could call downstairs.
5) The coffee maker only filled up the cups about 1/4 of the way before repeatedly shutting itself off. I made hot water in the coffee maker and three or four mysterious grey chunks came out of it and into my cup. I ran the water again and the same thing happened. I then ran the water basin under the sink and the water that came back out was almost black, apparently having never been cleaned.
6) The paint on the doors had been touched-up all over the place with a paint color that didn't match the rest of the door. the result was very shabby-looking and depressing doors.
7) The closet was ridiculously small for such a large room, like a closet in a mobile home. There was a door-stop on the floor right in front of it and after three toe-stubs I figured out I should turn a cup over it so I'd see that darn stop before I split my toenail open.
8) The mattress was not of high quality and the pillows were a wee bit small.
9) Finally, the view: What looks like a sylvan lake in the publicity pictures is really an industrial reservoir that looks more like a sewer treatment plant. It has cranes and trucks and a spiked fence all around it. We were grateful that it was a weekend and not a workday when all that equipment might be operating. The entrance to the hotel faces smack dab in front of a double chain-link gate with equipment behind it, so you get that "view" no matter how you try not to look at it.

Room Tip: Front rooms have an ugly view, but back rooms are above noisy compressors.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay for taking the time to post a review. Your frank and honest assesment of your stay is greatly appreciated and will be shared with the appropriate team members so that any corrective action that is required can be taken as quickly as possible. I apologize that your expecations were not met by the hotel and it's Service Team. Hopefully you will consider staying at the hotel the next time you are in the Philadelphia area so that you can see the improvements that have been made. Thank you and please have wonderful weekend.

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Patterson, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The worst hotel I have ever experienced. As a saesoned world traveler - I found the decaying furniture, poor service, broken phone equipment, disturbing loud guests, thin walls, poor management, dingy paint and outdated decor pretty shocking for a "Hilton." Proof that the 'brand' is just a name not a quality or consistent product.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Mark K
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I would like to apologize for both the hotel and it Service Team having not met your expectations. The feedback you have provided is greatly appreciated and valued. I will ensure to share your thoughts with all members of the team so as to assist in making improvements to the areas that you memtioned. Thank you.