“Does not live up to the Hilton name”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here for a few nights up to June 8th. I was originally staying at the Inn at Penn Hilton (great hotel) but I had to relocate here due to unavailability. I am currently a Gold member and have stayed at many Hilton hotels and I haven't ever had a single complaint up until this one.

Upon arriving at my room (904), I found a few issues. The door security latch was broken and certain parts of the room were filthy. The pictures people have posted are accurate; I've added some as well. Furniture was dated & worn; motel quality. One room phone did not work and was never fixed, despite my mentioning the issue.

I was told there was a free breakfast, though later found out there is an additional $5 charge for any hot foods. Kind of silly, but no big deal. Wait staff was polite & accommodating. Pool & fitness room were clean.

This big issue came on Saturday night. At 2am in the morning there were several large groups of high school age kids congregating in the hallway outside my room. I was awoken repeatedly by slamming doors and yelling. I called the front desk to address it and was told security was already on its way.
About 1/2 hour later, my 2 year old was woken up by the ongoing noise. I called the front desk again and got no answer. I had enough at this point. I scooped up my daughter & went downstairs to speak with the staff.

Nobody was at the desk. The security guard asked me what the issue was; I asked for the management. He told me she was busy doing paperwork on the 4th floor. I insisted I speak to her. An employee named Kathleen then came down. I explained the issue to her. She rudely told me that since this hotel is a "banquet" hotel that this type of thing is normal. I asked her where on the Hilton website or company policy it explains that guests at a "banquet" hotel may expect to be woken up repeatedly at 2am by parties in adjacent rooms. She simply ignored me; her attitude clearly insinuated that I was interrupting her routine and this was my issue, not hers. I subsequently filed a complaint with Hilton's guest services.

A manager called me the next day in an attempt to remedy the situation and offered me some reward points for my trouble, explaining that her employee's behavior was unexcusable.

The next morning I called for a bellhop and valet for my car; was told a bellhop was on his way up. After 15 minutes, no bellhop so I went down and reminded the desk. Once my stuff was loaded and downstairs, my car was nowhere to be seen, because it was never dispatched. I was then told that only one valet knew how to drive a stick, so I would have to wait a few minutes more. Understandably checkout times can be hectic, but it was overall mass confusion here; the staff didn't appear to be organized at all.

This hotel isn't even remotely in the neighborhood of Hilton's normal standards. The issues I found with this hotel clearly reflect poor management and a lack of training on all levels.

I strongly recommend avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank brian7408
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review and please accept my most sincere apologies for your stay having not met the standards for which you were entitled. I assure you that this review has been shared with all members of the staff and has beena acted upon. Your comments are greatly appreciated and valued and will prove very helpful in making the necessary corrections. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I read a few reviews before I checked in and expected problems. Overall the experience was pleasant dealing with staff and the inconveince. I had to extend my stay by one day there were a few problems but they were quickly corrected. I had originally requested LATE check out but was informed it was not available. So I requested additional night and luckily there was a room available. Confused ? so was I. Kathleen had me come back to front desk present i.d. resign paperwork .Housekeeping was not notified so " . I had to request room cleaning and towels, etc. Valet not notified asked time and time again if I had check out. I ordered room service for three received room service for two. Again the mistake was corrected . It only took about 10 minutes. I rated this hotel high because of the way each situation was handled. Professionally and quickly.

Room Tip: Use side elevator to get to and from the pool I allows access without going through Lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review and for sharing you frank and honest assessment. Your comments will be shared with all members of the team so that corrective steps can be taken and improvements in communication can be made. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed overnight at the Hilton - the coffee pot in our room was "gross" with lime deposits around the edges................ so we decided to go to the lobby and avail ourselves with the coffee which is usually provided. Found all the ingredients for coffee but no cups. When we asked the hostess, she said that we needed to pay $2/cup! We were desperate for coffee so we paid and had the lukewarm coffee which was dispensed from a thermos!
I've been to several Hilton properties but this was the first time where you had to pay $2 for lousy coffee!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1941Hoosier

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am truly sorry that your expereince was not all that could be expected. I have been sure to share your comments with the appropriate team members so that corrective steps can be taken. Your comments were greatly appreciated and will be put to good use, thank you.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hilton's are usually my go to. Have grown accustomed to updated rooms, great service, and high standards at these properties.

This particular Hilton is really off the mark.

There was a funky musty smell that should have been a hint when I walked in the lobby. The hallway to my room had a carpet that was stained and dingy and everything needed a paint job.

The room itself had a bed that was spongy and worn with the thinnest comforter I've seen in years. The bathroom was tiny and outdated.

Hilton...you should know better!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your stay and for sharing you thoughts about your stay. I have made note of the issues you raised and be assured that they are being addressed by all members of the team. Your frank and honest assessment is greatly appreciated and will prove most helpful as we look to improve the operation. Thank you.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had such a terrible experience at this hotel.
I stay here on May 22 for one night.
Being a photographer traveling for business is a must.
Let me just say I have been to many Hilton properties.
But this was the first time the staff just let me down.
The hotel had 4 proms going on that night.
So you had no place to relax in the hotel lobby.
I was lucky to get a meal before the bar kitchen close.
But let me start bye saying upon entering the hotel I was greeted with a very unpleasant " Where are you going?"
Which I took offense to.
It was not good evening how may I help you tonight.
It was more as if I was invading the hotel.
I then inform the gentleman that I am a guest of the hotel going to the bar to get a meal before the kitchen closed on me.
My friends that I was working with did not make it to before the kitchen closed.
2 brought in meals from TGIF.
And this is where the hotel staff let me down.
We was then inform that you can not have outside food in the bar.
So we ask where else can we go to eat and finish recapping from our event.
Let me paint you a picture.
We were all dress in formal attire me a suit, others who were ladies in lovely dresses.
Camera gear and laptops on tables.
Then the staff inform us we had to leave because of the out side meals.
I totally understand hotel policies and do not like breaking them.
But the staff did not offer any other resolution.
They would not provide an alternative place where we could eat and finish our meeting.
Then a gentleman who was the head of catering.
Told us we had to leave.
The only other option was to go eat outside in what was the smoking area,
or our rooms.
Then this lovely gentle proceed to say if we did not like if we can just check out of the hotel.
What moron tells a hotel guest if you don't like it check out.
Where is the service?
It took me over 20 minutes just to get into the hotel because of the 4 proms.
My friends miss the kitchen because of it.
So the options are to go eat in the smoke area outside of the hotel, our rooms or just check out.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
2  Thank deesol714

Thank you for posting a review and sharing your thoughts. I am truly sorry that your dining experience was not as pleasant as it should have been. While the hotel does have very definite policies as to not allowing outside food or beverage into the Lounge or Restaurant I apologize that this was not conveyed to you in a more hopitable manner.

Again please accept my apologies and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a great place to stay in Philly or NW suburbs. It's rooms are extremely clean and comfortable. Most everyone was extremely nice. One grumpy receptionist. But maybe she was having a bad day. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I was very happy to read that the hotel and it's staff met you needs and expectations. I will share your comments with all members of the team so that we can build on the positive and improve in the areas that need work. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is a sort of odd property, but it's been here for many years and the City Ave. location is pretty central for Phillie. It sits right across from a reservoir of some sort. Self-parking is a bit of a pain... it's in a lot down the hill and a bit of a walk if you're carrying luggage. The hotel itself is in decent shape, though maybe not all that well-managed. During my late-afternoon check-in, there was only one person at the front desk and the line was six-people deep. The one person was doing her best to check in people, but kept having to stop to answer the phone. It appeared that she was the only person answering the phone for the entire hotel! Not a good impression to neglect customers standing right in front of you in order to transfer calls to various places around the hotel. There's also not a whole lot around the hotel other than a shopping center, a gas station, and a little shopping center. Closest restaurant outside of the hotel is a Chili's across the street. There's also a pizza place and a sandwich shop within a block or so. There was also some street work being done on City Ave while we were there and that was backing up traffic for quite a way down the road.

1  Thank FlyGuy47
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for posting a review and for your frank and honest assessment. I am truly sorry and would like to apologize that you experince was not all it should have been in all aspects of your stay. I will be sharing your survey with all involved so that corrections can be made. i do hope that you will choose to stay at the hotel again.