“Interesting Place to Visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #124 of 434 things to do in Philadelphia
Southern NJ
184 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 325 helpful votes
“Interesting Place to Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

After leaving Fort Miflin, I was reading reviews of the place on Trip Advisor, and one review mentioned Bartram's Garden. I looked up, saw a sign for Bartram's Garden, and off we went.

We purchased two tickets but did not understand that just going to the garden itself is free, because it is part of the Fairmount Garden system. It was just slightly after three, so we asked the person in the visitors' center/gift shop if we could join the tour...She said yes if we had already worked it out with them. What??? We asked her where the tour was, and she had absolutely no idea.

Fortunately, we were able to locate the tour. Normally, the 3 pm tour, which is the last tour of the day, is garden only, but since there were only two people on the tour (and then we made four), the tour guide did a combination house/garden tour. The tour guide absolutely made the experience. She was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Had we not had the tour, our experience wouldn't have been much of anything. Bartam's Garden is not a show garden, and the flowering season was in decline. We enjoyed learning about Bartram and his family and the various businesses they ran.

After the tour, we went around the rest of the garden. While we were there, a wedding was setting up, and definitely Bartram's Garden is a beautiful, serene venue for a wedding.

I definitely enjoyed taking photographs!

So since the day pass is $12 for adults, $10 for seniors 62+, the tip would be to make sure you get both the garden and the house tours, since the price includes both.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank GreenUnicorn

Falls Church, Virginia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“an amazing place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We loved our afternoon at Bartram's Garden. We took the curator's tour (offered once a month, I think) which was fascinating. This place is an amazing piece of American history--along with being a living garden-- and should be more prominently listed among Philadelphia's historic sites.

Visited July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Down by the river - Peaceful, Calm, Fishing in Southwest Philly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I walked the Bartram's Garden Trail that leads down to the Schuylkill River (very peaceful). Once you reach the water (probably a 1/4 mi) the trail wraps around back up the hill to the main entrance thru the meadow. During my visit I sat on the dock and watched a boat go by and the fishermen enjoying their sport. The view at the dock includes the city skyline and a refinery.

During this visit I did not have a chance to visit the actual garden. I will be back to enjoy the garden and house at another time.

Visited July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“UK visitor in love with Bartrams gardens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

One of the best ***** botanical experiences I've ever had. This garden is stunning - exemplary of a beautiful natural woodland garden retreat in a perfect setting on the banks of the river. I adore the Bartrams' taste in plants and trees and also of course the species they discovered (e.g. Franklinia alatamaho and Hydrangea quercifolia). A must for any nature and/or horticulture lover. The true beauty of the place lies in its undertatedness and classiness!! In a world full of bold and brash, this is such a fresh wake-up call and takes you right back to the fundamentals. The place truly inspired me to try to be as good a gardener as I possibly can be for the rest of my life.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Daniel P
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
190 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 372 helpful votes
“If you need something to see”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I wouldn't make a special trip here if I were a tourist, but if you've seen every other tourist sight in Philly and have more time to spare, then come look around. We went in summer by tourist boat. You have a long walk from the water, but you bypass the nasty parts of the city. John Bartram's house is there to go through. Most of the founding father's have been in this house at some time, so it might be worth a visit if just for that reason. We were expecting fields of beautiful flowers etc but they are not there. Just a few areas bordered off and some signs to tell you what this weed looking plant is. They have a small gift and snack shop and not much more.

Visited July 2012