“Bartrams beautiful garden and most charming house”
Review of Bartram's Garden

Bartram's Garden
Ranked #123 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Tour Guide was superb! You can either tour the garden AND the house or just choose one. If you wanna know about his plants obviously you want the garden tour but if you are more interested in the man, take the house tour..however tour guide did intertwine both as it is hard to not talk about one without the other. Garden was beautiful! House was charming! Plants in pots as soon as you enter so you can purchase them or you can get seeds in package in gift shop which doesnt have much. You might think you're on the wrong route once you start going down run-down neighborhoods getting there--but you're not. Its located in a shady part of town, however the house and garden are down the road and away from the shady area of town. If you can only take one tour, choose the garden tour. Nothing like a leisure paced stroll amongst gigantic trees towering over you and beautiful colored flowers all around.

2  Thank Sandy305

Reviewed 1 October 2013

After leaving Fort Miflin, I was reading reviews of the place on Trip Advisor, and one review mentioned Bartram's Garden. I looked up, saw a sign for Bartram's Garden, and off we went.

We purchased two tickets but did not understand that just going to the garden itself is free, because it is part of the Fairmount Garden system. It was just slightly after three, so we asked the person in the visitors' center/gift shop if we could join the tour...She said yes if we had already worked it out with them. What??? We asked her where the tour was, and she had absolutely no idea.

Fortunately, we were able to locate the tour. Normally, the 3 pm tour, which is the last tour of the day, is garden only, but since there were only two people on the tour (and then we made four), the tour guide did a combination house/garden tour. The tour guide absolutely made the experience. She was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Had we not had the tour, our experience wouldn't have been much of anything. Bartam's Garden is not a show garden, and the flowering season was in decline. We enjoyed learning about Bartram and his family and the various businesses they ran.

After the tour, we went around the rest of the garden. While we were there, a wedding was setting up, and definitely Bartram's Garden is a beautiful, serene venue for a wedding.

I definitely enjoyed taking photographs!

So since the day pass is $12 for adults, $10 for seniors 62+, the tip would be to make sure you get both the garden and the house tours, since the price includes both.

1  Thank GreenUnicorn
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We loved our afternoon at Bartram's Garden. We took the curator's tour (offered once a month, I think) which was fascinating. This place is an amazing piece of American history--along with being a living garden-- and should be more prominently listed among Philadelphia's historic sites.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I walked the Bartram's Garden Trail that leads down to the Schuylkill River (very peaceful). Once you reach the water (probably a 1/4 mi) the trail wraps around back up the hill to the main entrance thru the meadow. During my visit I sat on the dock and watched a boat go by and the fishermen enjoying their sport. The view at the dock includes the city skyline and a refinery.

During this visit I did not have a chance to visit the actual garden. I will be back to enjoy the garden and house at another time.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

One of the best ***** botanical experiences I've ever had. This garden is stunning - exemplary of a beautiful natural woodland garden retreat in a perfect setting on the banks of the river. I adore the Bartrams' taste in plants and trees and also of course the species they discovered (e.g. Franklinia alatamaho and Hydrangea quercifolia). A must for any nature and/or horticulture lover. The true beauty of the place lies in its undertatedness and classiness!! In a world full of bold and brash, this is such a fresh wake-up call and takes you right back to the fundamentals. The place truly inspired me to try to be as good a gardener as I possibly can be for the rest of my life.

1  Thank Daniel P