“"Top Ten" attraction in Philadelphia”

National Constitution Center
Ranked #16 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Constitution Center is the first and only nonprofit, nonpartisan institution devoted to the U.S. Constitution and its legacy of freedom. Located two blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Historic Philadelphia, the Center illuminates constitutional ideals and inspires active citizenship as a state-of-the-art museum, a civic education hub and America's Town Hall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This wonderful museum should be on everyone's Top Ten list in Philadelphia. There's a special exhibit - currently a Pulitzer Prize Photographs exhibit - and the permanent installation is very interesting. How many countries can say that they were founded on ideals instead of tribes? Here is a museum that helps everyone to understand what this means. I loved the comments on sticky notes and reading what people say about how our constitution and laws affect our every day lives. This is a MUST visit in Philadelphia.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"walk around"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I went to this as part of a one-day sightseeing trip in Philadelphia -- the reviews on here helped us decide. We were not disappointed.

We started with the show "Liberty Rising" and it was fantastic. It was a stirring, powerful, short history of our nation and its most precious document. I was moved to tears, and needed a moment to collect myself when it was over. Inspiring!

The interactive exhibits were also powerful, and I was struck by the way they have etched the Constitution on glass panels all around the upper floor -- it was respectful and artistic.

When we were there, there was an exhibit of Pulitzer Prize-winning photographs. I don't know if it is always there, or if it travels. The photos and the stories behind them were touching and evocative.

A must-see! I wish every person in our country could visit this place at least once.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is truly one of the best shows and museums to visit in the US. The building is truly a historical treasure and very educational. I have brought many visitors from other countries and they have all really enjoyed it.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I skipped the theatre entirely based on other reviews. Didn't feel like I missed anything.

The tickets were about $14.50 per adult, although I think with AAA you can get a discount. I went right upstairs to the exhibits. Each exhibit was in chronological order with a lot of interactive displays and videos displayed. It was a diverse collection of memorabilia and exhibits.

My favorite displays were the "Would you be able to vote in ..." which showed up in several sections to highlight the changes over the years. I also enjoyed the interactive displays on how laws are made. Suitable for all age groups - nothing was overdone or too technical in nature.

I was able to walk freely though the exhibits - somehow I ended up doing the tour backwards chronologically, which worked just fine by me!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our visit started with the theatre show - mix of live actor and video - as mentioned below a bit propaganda / dramatised but not uncommon in America. The show last half hour and then afterwards there are a number of displays to read that have bite size/just enough info on all the key events. Also lots of interactive exhibits - favourite was the stand where you can be sworn in as the American president. At the moment they also have a 'Pulitzer prize' winning photos exhibition which is thought provoking, interesting and (due to the images) somewhat saddening.