“Not just for history buffs or lawyers!”

National Constitution Center
Ranked #19 of 433 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Constitution Center is the first and only nonprofit, nonpartisan institution devoted to the U.S. Constitution and its legacy of freedom. Located two blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Historic Philadelphia, the Center illuminates constitutional ideals and inspires active citizenship as a state-of-the-art museum, a civic education hub and America's Town Hall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not just for history buffs or lawyers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect the first time I visited the Constitution Center, but its a Smithsonian-level museum all about an idea: that our country should be based on equal and fair treatment of everybody based on law and courts. This was brought home to me when I found myself standing in front of an exhibit with a simple handwritten note. As I read the note and looked at the explanations I realized that the note was to the Supreme Court from a inmate named Ernesto Miranda. Mr. Miranda was writing on the small single sheet allowed him by the prison where he was held. His note stated his belief that he had not received a fair trial because he did not have an attorney to defend him in a trial for rape. Its amazing that our highest court took up this man's case based on a note that clearly was not from an educated man . . . really inspiring!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Kcox60795

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“National Constitution Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

a new Buildding only a few years old.. So much to see about the Constitution and history of our nation.

Visited September 2013
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Definitely visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I loved the Center. It is highly educational and interesting. They have a live performance about the constitution's writing and significance. They also have a myriad of permanent displays, including many interactive ones. One could spend an entire day, should they chose to. Highly recommend including it on any trip to historic Philadelphia. Plus it's close by the Liberty Bell and Independence.

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“"Top Ten" attraction in Philadelphia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This wonderful museum should be on everyone's Top Ten list in Philadelphia. There's a special exhibit - currently a Pulitzer Prize Photographs exhibit - and the permanent installation is very interesting. How many countries can say that they were founded on ideals instead of tribes? Here is a museum that helps everyone to understand what this means. I loved the comments on sticky notes and reading what people say about how our constitution and laws affect our every day lives. This is a MUST visit in Philadelphia.

Reno, Nevada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Every American should see this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I went to this as part of a one-day sightseeing trip in Philadelphia -- the reviews on here helped us decide. We were not disappointed.

We started with the show "Liberty Rising" and it was fantastic. It was a stirring, powerful, short history of our nation and its most precious document. I was moved to tears, and needed a moment to collect myself when it was over. Inspiring!

The interactive exhibits were also powerful, and I was struck by the way they have etched the Constitution on glass panels all around the upper floor -- it was respectful and artistic.

When we were there, there was an exhibit of Pulitzer Prize-winning photographs. I don't know if it is always there, or if it travels. The photos and the stories behind them were touching and evocative.

A must-see! I wish every person in our country could visit this place at least once.