“History of America”

Ranked #17 of 438 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Constitution Center is the first and only nonprofit, nonpartisan institution devoted to the U.S. Constitution and its legacy of freedom. Located two blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Historic Philadelphia, the Center illuminates constitutional ideals and inspires active citizenship as a state-of-the-art museum, a civic education hub and America's Town Hall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Jamestown, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“History of America”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I didn't have as much time to stay here and surrounding landmarks as I wish I would have. There were a lot of sites to take in just inside the National Constitution Center. In short, the start of our independence is on display. Plus I found myself loving all the states flags hanging high from the ceiling.

1 Thank Greg V

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Fairfax, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour and exhibits”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Absolutely superb presentation of our history and Constitution. A must see. The live actor presentation was a masterpiece.

2 Thank Ron_from_Brooklyn
Topeka, Kansas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Must see while in Philadelphia”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is an amazing center - with everything you ever wanted to know about the United States Constitution and more. I really enjoyed the opening show with the narrator - very neat thing to see. I was pleasantly surprised at all the interactive displays that the center has to teach you about how the Constitution has affected people's lives to how the Constitution has evolved over the years and been challenged. They also had voting booths that you could go in and see which president you would most likely vote for based on their views. The special exhibit was about Thomas Jefferson's slaves. It was very informative, and I learned many things throughout the three hours I spent in the center. The center is very clean and well organized. The staff was helpful as well. Small children might find the center a bit boring, but older kids and adults will enjoy what the center has to offer - especially if they are into social studies/history. It was a great way to spend a hot afternoon in Philadelphia!

1 Thank tsflash
Leicester, United Kingdom
228 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 373 helpful votes
“This will take you longer than expected as there is so much to see...”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The National Constitution Center is a fascinating insight into so many aspects of American history and the society engendered by the Founding Fathers. It is quite clear that exhibitions change regularly but whilst we were there was a brilliant exhibition about 1968. My grandson thought it hilarious that I was only 15 at the time many of the artefacts on display were very familiar to me especially the cassette recorder – a ‘portable’ much bigger than a brick and much heavier. Either way there wasn’t a dull moment in the whole building and we even got a chance to sign the Constitution towards the end of the tour. Almost overwhelming in the amount of displays but this is not to be missed. Wonderful.

P.S. I inadvertently used a National Constitution Center photo in my TripAdvisor review of the US Mint so I include a photo of the US Mint one here for completeness as they are geographically next to each other…

Visited July 2013
1 Thank EximiousTraveller
Reno, Nevada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good information”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I spent an enjoyable two hours visiting the Center. The show Freedom Rising is very well done. The rest of the displays on the 2nd floor are very interesting and informative. I was disappointed the display of statues of the signers of the Constitution was closed - I feel customers should be told that when purchasing a ticket. Be sure to take advantage of the clean bathrooms!!

1 Thank margmrick