“Second Time And Still A Charm”

Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Hershey, PA
“Second Time And Still A Charm”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Two years ago my family treated my mother to an overnight stay in Philadelphia for her 70th birthday. The trip was a secret surprise and all we told my mother to do was pack and enjoy the journey. We stayed at the Cornerstone Bed and Breakfast, which turned out to be a terrific choice. Heralded on TripAdvisor as the #2 B&B out of 26 in Philly, it resides on a side-street within blocks of the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, restaurants, shops, Art Museum, Schuylkill River, and Fairmount Park. And the subway stop is a short walk away, which connects within minutes to center city Philly, Penn’s Landing, and everything in between.

This past weekend I participated in the Merrell Down & Dirty Mud Run and several friends who had planned to join me, along with places I had hoped to stay, fell through, so at the last minute my buddy David, who accompanied me to help support and shoot photos while I raced, and I chose Cornerstone. It turned out to be just three miles down river from the race in Fairmount Park. Perfect location. Nice suite with a large bedroom, bathroom, and living room with a pull-out bed with an air mattress that lost some air during the night, but was still comfy. Saturday breakfast was delicious homemade blueberry pancakes, sausage, and a special request egg white omelet made to order. And to top it off, the decor is elegant and has an interesting history: it was once owned by a relative of Maxfield Parrish, one of my favorite artists.

The hosts are Dennis and Liz, their daughter Jules, and her husband Chris. Chris and their three kids also ran in the race. They were all amazingly friendly and accommodating. The rooms clean and fresh. The wrap-around front porch inviting and restful.

I whole-heartedly recommend Cornerstone. If you stay there, tell them Kevyn sent you. And be sure to join the family on the porch with a cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of wine or beer.

Room Tip: The University Room is one of my favorites, but if you can handle quaint, narrow, steep stairs, go f...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My son and I spent 1 night at the Cornerstone B&B while looking at colleges in Philadelphia. It's within walking distance of U Penn and Drexel in an interesting neighborhood - tree lined streets with a lot of older homes broken up into apartments. It borders some dicey areas but we felt totally comfortable walking back from the university after dinner at 9:30. Lots of students about and also campus security guards (even in the summer!) Also within walking distance of the subway into the center of Philly. I was worried about parking (street only, no lot) and it may have been a problem had we arrived earlier but by the time we got there at around 4:00pm there were plenty of spaces.

The owners of the B & B were delightful - very friendly and helpful. We had the University Suite which was perfect for us - 1 large bedroom and a sitting room with a pull out couch (which my son said was not the most comfortable in the world.) The bathroom was very clean with a good, strong shower. It was one of the hottest days of the year and we had 2 window air conditioners that worked really well. Breakfast was just continental during the week but that was fine for us - great, plentiful coffee! All the guests sat around 1 large dining table and there was a nice chatty atmosphere.

If my son ends up going to school in Philly we will definitely make this our "go to" place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank suzieharko
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I went to Philadelphia to have my test on the next day. I was so anxious and nervous because that was my first time that I leave NY since I arrived as an immigrant. I did my reservation on phone after I searched online for the hotel. Dennis, the owner and manager, on the phone made the process so easy that I felt comfortable. When I arrived there I met him and every thing was ready for me, I was tired, the room was so comfortable that I rested for an hour and started reviewing some notes for my exam for the next day.
Dennis gave me the map for the test center to show me the way, it was a nice idea so that we don't lose time searching.
Early next morning breakfast was ready, continental and healthy.
I had my test and did well because I had a nice and quiet and a comfortable night prior to my exam.
I had nice memories of that place and wish to visit it again in future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank nada_alhashimi
Boston
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Recently stayed here for 2 nights while taking my USMLE medical board exam. The test center is basically down the street, and they helpfully gave me a great discount so from the get-go I was happy with the place. Upon getting there, it was quaint and precious. Very comfortable and homey, you feel welcome right away. The owners (Chris, Dennis, Jules, & Liz) are super nice and very helpful. They were giving me tips for test day, and supporting excessive coffee consumption. My room was pretty large and beautiful. Bed was super comfy, and the shower worked great. There was a small issue with a tripped fire alarm one night, but it wasnt their fault at all and they worked hard to make it stop. Breakfast both days was delicious, and the dining room is gorgeous. Would happily return and recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank roselllii
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Mr. Dennis welcomed me warmly and gave good walking directions (and a hand-drawn map!) to get around town. The Franklin room which I stayed in was very clean and had 2 books on Benjamin Franklin which I enjoyed reading :). The location of Cornerstone was great as it was within comfortable walking distance of my exam site. What I liked best was the trust and respect displayed by the owner when I left my bag in their care to go sightsee after my booked stay was technically over.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ife_2011
Washington DC
Reviewed 20 April 2011

A wonderful place to stay - we were visiting Drexel and UPenn and couldn't have asked for a better base. Lovely hosts, comfortable beds, terrific location, only a few blocks from both campuses.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The owners, Chris, Jules, Liz, and Dennis, have meticulously taken care of this little gem in the city. Their attention to detail is evident. They also make you feel like you are home from the minute you walk in the door. The Cornerstone has such a homey and loving vibe!

The room was immaculate. The pride and care that the owners and staff of Cornerstone really shows. The Continental Suite would be perfect for a family stay or a girls' weekend of your own! You will not be disappointed. How could you be disappointed when you are served a wonderful, homemade breakfast in the morning!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends