“Cornerstone B&B - USMLE”

Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed at the Cornerstone B&B for 1 day for the USMLE step 2 CS examinations. Right from the onset, I was made to feel very welcomed by Dennis. It helps that he is VERY familiar and experienced having had many USMLE step 2 CS candidates stay at Cornerstone, and is able to give excellent advice on simple administrative issues like maps to the test center, walking distances and duration, timings to meet, useful advice on things to bring.

I was blown away by the extent of his hospitality extended to myself. As my train was booked for 8pm, Dennis kindly kept my belongings at Cornerstone until the evening, and gave me plenty of advice on how to pass my time in Philly whilst waiting for my train - including having the compulsory Philly cheesesteak. It started raining just as I was planning to make my way to the train station, and Dennis actually personally drove me to the train station! This has definitely been one of the best hotel/B&B stays I've ever had. Thanks Dennis for the experience even though it was less than a day!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank C K

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I reserved a 3-person suite for 3 nights. Although the configuration of the rooms was slightly awkward in the top floor of the house, we had enough room to be completely comfortable.
The Continental Suite queen bed was extraordinary--the perfect balance of firm yet squishy.
I do wish there were a few more hanging spots, in lieu of no closet, but we managed.
Our rooms were tidied and towels changed each day. The owners offered constant tea, which I loved. (Don't want to skip my night-time camomile.)
I'd love to have their skylight in my own bathroom. It was effective.
Warning: it takes a long time for the hot water to reach the top floor shower, but when it does, it's scolding! (The owners could place a mark for the ideal position to set the shower water.)
The breakfasts were wonderful (on the weekends), and the continental spread on the weekdays was more than enough variety--the muffins and stuffed French Toast were divine!

Room Tip: The stairs to the Continental Suite are a bit precarious. It was, however, extremely quiet up there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Take it from a long-time B & B user, Cornerstone B & B is a great place to stay.My friends and I attended a convention in Philadelphia, but we didn't want to stay near the convention center. We wanted to stay someplace comfortable and quiet--someplace that was like being at home.We hit the jackpot with Conerstone Bed & Breakfast. This friendly, family-run B & B is in a lovely neighorhood adjacent to Drexel University, just blocks from the subway (3 train stops from the convention center). The place is just as homey, clean and cozy as it could be. The hosts are kind and helpful with restaurant recommendations, directions to local culture spots and knowledge of local running spots, as well. Continental breakfast (cereals, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs and home baked cakes and muffins) is served in a spacious dining room and if you are fortunate enough to stay on the weekend, special breakfasts are served on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays (walnut pancakes or fresh fruit-filled stuffed bread)! The convention kept us very busy and when we arrived for the evening, the sleep was peaceful. If you're in Philadelphia, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Best to stay in the Furness, Philadelphia or University Suite. These are the rooms that don't f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2013

If you are like us and prefer staying in a small Inn/House as opposed to a hotel, Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast is for you!! Everything impressed us! The care and attention given to the total experience
of staying there is A # 1! The very best thing about our visit, though, was the care, help and attention we received from Dennis, Liz and Chris.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and very tastefully appointed!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Absolutely wonderful experience :) The owner was incredibly kind, personable and made my entire experience so pleasant! He had maps drawn out and a list of places that were within walking distance to try out. The room was beautifully decorated and so very comfortable; I felt like I was at home! The house was absolutely gorgeous and the aesthetics are so warm and cozy. The breakfast was so fresh and absolutely delicious (best coffee ever!) My overall experience was absolutely perfect and I look forward to spending time there in the future!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My partner and I stayed here in late June - I forget the date! Anyway, my partner made the reservation and I was a little skeptical when I realized how close we would be to downtown Philly. No worries though, it's a nice neighborhood with some cool and funky homes and it's super close to great places to see.

Minutes from the museum and the old Penitentiary (which the Innkeeper gave us tickets to), and a hop from the historic area of Philly.

Parking is on street, but you have to expect that this close to everything! Not a problem for us as we were able to park right in front.

Innkeepers were very pleasant as were the other guests. The continental breakfast was quite acceptable with good choices provided. The Inn is roomy and very clean with a terrific front porch to relax on in the evening with a cup of java.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This place is great friendly and welcoming.... very clean, beautiful rooms, great location and wonderful breakfast definitely a place to stay if you are going to Philly...
Thank you Chris, Jules, Liz and Dennis!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo