3,058 results
All reviewsthe red owl tavernrooftop barindependence hallliberty bellalice in wonderlandwine hourstratus loungeold citypark viewacross the streetsoaking tubyoga matcomplimentary winebeautiful hotelwedding weekendmini barhistoric district
Reviewed 25 March 2013

When I first browsed the website for Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia, looking to reserve a room for a wedding to be held at that location, I was excited to see the vibrant and unusual decor of the hotel. The prices were also very reasonable for what seemed like a great place to stay. I have to say that I was not disappointed upon arrival. The valet staff was present en masse and quickly assisted with the luggage. The hotel staff, from those working the front desk, to house keeping, Red Owl staff, etc. were extremely friendly and went to a great length to accommodate the guests' wishes. The room that I stayed in was extremely clean and boasted a refreshing and vibrant decor; the interior designers clearly took the time to ensure it was not simply a hodge podge of decorations thrown together without much detailed thought. For those who do not like to take a break from working out when on the road, the fitness center (located on the 2nd fl.) comprising of treadmills, eliptical trainers, dumbells (up to 50lbs.), plyometric boxes, a rowing machine, medicine balls (up to 20 lbs.), several large exercise balls and a crossover machine, offer many great exercise options.
The food at the Red Owl restaurant (right in the hotel) was great. From breakfast to dinner, the menu is full of choices, containing well-prepared items that are a pleasure to consume. The lounge located on the 10th floor - Stratus, is extremely cozy (especially the side rooms) and the bar staff there is extremely friendly (expecially Jason and Noel if I recall correctly). The moring brunch catered by the hotel at the Stratus (private party) was great as well. From the coffee, to the food, the items were fresh. The wait staff was on the ball, refilling any empty trays, as well as promtply whisking away empty glasses and cups left around the room.
I have to say that I was very impressed by the hotel staff's attention to detail during my visit, as well as their clear desire to ensure that all guests and visitors were taken care of. Thank you for a great weekend and I am sure to return in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dmitriy Z
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you Dmitriy Z!!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time with us and got to enjoy all the different aspects of this beautiful building. I will be sure to personally thank Jason and Noel for providing such wonderful service up in Stratus.

Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 25 March 2013

The staff was superb...friendly, professional....from the crew curbside to the front desk. Everyone wanted to make our stay enjoyable. We requested a room on a high floor overlooking the park and got it. The room decorations are very creative..nice!
The Red Owl next door has very good food...went there for appetizers...should have stayed for dinner!
The bar on the rooftop is fun...a bit loud later in the evening on the weekend (for those of us over 50. Ha!)
Will definitely stay here again, next time in town.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Hi BillSchwanbeck!

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for all the kind comments about the team being superb, friendly, and professional.

Sounds like you got to enjoy all the fun spots from Red Owl to Stratus.

Can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

We just returned from a lovely stay at the Hotel Monaco to celebrate a big birthday. The hotel is only about 5 months old and everything is new and in great shape. We were greeted at curb by a great team of doormen. They were the best part of the stay. Each time we came and went they greeted us and remembered us, went out of the way to offer suggestions and were more than great taking and brining the car. Once they saw me looking at a map 1/2 a block away and came running over to ask if we needed help finding something. Kudoos to ALL of them. The people working at the hotel were uniformly friendly and nice: from the doormen, to housekeeping, front desk and hosts at the wine hour. All were lovely and we enjoyed talking with each of them. The room was well appointed with plenty of outlets and lights, and was very clean on check in. I'd love to give the hotel 5 stars, but there were a few minor things that could have been done better:
1. When we checked in they clearly knew it was my birthday, yet they didn't offer anything other than a happy birthday at check in. For prior birthday stays as other hotels they have done things ranging from big gestures like a room upgrade, to more modest things such as a free drink, a piece of fruit or chocolate, or even a gesture as simple as a note or card from the manager saying happy birthday. Those things all go a long way towards making someone feel special and thanking them for choosing the hotel for a special celebration. Here there was nothing other than a nice happy birthday from the reception clerk and a reminder that as a Kimpton member I had a minibar credit as my welcome gift. Any gesture would have been nice and made the stay better. I even got an email from the manager on my birthday saying she hoped we would give the hotel high ratings when we checked out, but clearly she didn't know she had sent it on my birthday, and didn't say happy birthday- which made it seem very much like a form letter, even though it was addressed by name and had a very warm and personal tone. It was a missed opportunity to make a guest feel good by saying happy birthday in an email. The irony was that the hotel we were in last year DID send a birthday note- despite us not being there this year!
2. We has some drinks and snacks in the room on each of the evenings, but the glasses and cups were never removed by housekeeping during the three days we were there- they kept accumulating next to the TV.
3. There bathroom light was out when we checked in, but housekeeping didn't notice or request to have it fixed,and we kept forgetting to notify someone. On the plus side: we ran into a maintenance man in the elevator on our second day and mentioned it to him- in a very casual way and by the time we got back up to the room an hour later it was fixed.
4. We sent an email to the concierge, Brian, several days prior to our stay asking for help with a special request, and copied it to Kristin at the front desk who had provided us with Brian's email. We never heard back from either of them.
Other than these issues we loved the hotel and plan to stay here on our next visit to Philadelphia. Great location for walking almost everywhere by the way- so you can park your car and get most places with a very short walk. However, I'm not sure I'd choose it for a special occasion again, as the stay was nice, but it didn't feel any more special than any stay in any hotel for any random reason.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin and Josh M
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Robin M,

Happy Birthday to you! Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate. I am happy to see that you had a positive experience and I greatly appreciate the feedback about some of the things we could have done better.

I have shared your review with the team so we can ensure we correct these items moving forward. All the items you brought up are things that I commit to working on with the team.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband took me to the Hotel Monaco for my 40th birthday. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly valet/bellman. He escorted us to the front desk where the agent was friendly as well. She checked us in and told me Happy Birthday. The lobby was very attractive and even included a goldfish at the counter. The agent gave us our room key and directed us to the elevator. Upon arriving in our Corner One Room Suite, we found chocolate covered strawberries, cheese and fruit tray and 2 bottles of water. The room was large and beautiful. You could tell the housekeepers love their job, the room was so clean. We tried to go to the roof top bar, however I was not feeling well so we did not stay long. I went back to the room while my husband finished his drink and then he went to the Red Owl Tavern to get my some plain toast. While my husband waited for them to make my toast, the restaurant manager asked him for our room number and shortly after arriving back with the toast, they brought me tea with honey and fresh cut lemon...customer service ...blew me away. My husband did order room service and the steak was delicious. We have already planned our next stay for the end of March. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dana F
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Happy Birthday DanaF!!

I am so happy that you chose to stay with us for your bday celebration. I love hearing great stories like yours about how the team went above and beyond!

We can’t wait to welcome you back at the end of March.

Best,

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Located near independence hall and other historical sites, close to many great restaurants the Monaco is ideal for sight seeing or just a fun weekend in the city.. Kimpton has figured out how to turn old buildings with awkward rooms into comfortable rooms with fun decor. Many other hotels instead of turning it into an asset just try to disguise it by making everything a shade of beige The service is excellent and the wine hour is a very nice touch. Had two different rooms a king deluxe and a king parkview. Strangely the bathroom in the king deluxe was much bigger than the parkview. Would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks VacaAllie!!

Happy to see you would stay here again and again! I greatly appreciate all the wonderful comments.

See you soon!