“Wow!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I happened upon this place totally by accident. I was raised in a blue-collar family and am kind of a schlub and this place was totally out of my league -- but they did the best they good for this gavone! The service was stupendous! Location is great! The room was little too small, though. The attached restaurant (part of the property) was OK -- generally good food and service but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: I would upgrade to a larger room with a park view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank calinjaxnc
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
We love all our guests equally! Glad you find us and hope you come back to the Monaco next time you are in Philly! I really appreciate you taking the time to post.

Jessica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently stayed on a last minute overnight trip in Philly at the Monaco. I'm a fan of the Kimpton chain so I was expecting the absolute best from this #1 ranked Philly hotel and I was absolutely floored by what I experienced. We were upgraded to a huge suite with views of the historic sections of Philadelphia and it was absolutely stunning. The worst part of the stay was realizing that we were only going to be there for one night. Heck, I can live in that suite!

The building and the decor has such character that the hotel should be an attraction in itself. Since we checked in at around 7:15 pm, one of the desk agents, Christy, very graciously offered us two complimentary glasses of wine knowing that we missed the nightly wine hour. That was completely unexpected and it really reminded me how exceptional the service is at every Kimpton I've stayed at. My usual requested amenity of champagne and chocolates for being an Inner Circle member were also provided soon after we checked in. We didn't have a chance to visit the rooftop lounge so i can't comment on it. It was "happening" the night of our stay.

We have family in Philly so there usually is no need to stay in a hotel but I will absolutely come back to the Monaco should there be a need to stay in Center City. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who values their hotel stay as much as they value their trip.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sometimes one night just isn't enough, but the good thing is now you know where to find us. Our Inner Circle members are seasoned Road Warriors, so to read your amazing review is like getting an A+ on a final exam. Thank you so much - I'll make sure to share with Christy and the team. Let me know if you need help thinking of an excuse to come back.

Safe Travels!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Quick one night stay for a show at the TLA was awesome. Could walk to Amada, Eulogy and TLA, with a view of the Liberty Bell from our room. Rooftop bar after our concert was much cooler than us. Red Owl breakfast the next morning was maybe the best ever with bottomless bellinis. Thanks, Eric!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience with us. You nailed it; our location is perfect for any type of trip.

Hope you'll come back next time you're in town.

New Braunfels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

!!!! PARKING TIP!!!! Ok, as far as the hotel, it was great. Same hip and trendy decor that all Kimptons are known for. Use their loyalty program to get free wifi and 20% off your stay. Minute walk to Independence Hall or Liberty Bell. Talula's Garden is a 10 minute walk through the park. Parking was $40 a night with in and out included. Independence Hall parking garage is one block north and never gets full. It was only $18 a night. Will definitely be back here for my next stay in Philadelphia.

2 Thank jpe71
It's no secret....our members get the best treatment! Discounted room rates, $10 to Raid the Bar, free Wi-Fi, and discounted in room massage services to name a few. Thanks for sharing some great local tips and great feedback!

Hope you'll be back soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I hold this truth to be self-evident...the Hotel Monaco is now my favorite hotel in Philadelphia.

The Hotel Monaco (Philadelphia) is located adjacent to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It seemed exciting to have so much history right outside the door, and to imagine Benjamin Franklin making dinner plans down on the square. It's easy to walk around old city, and it's close to a number of great restaurants.

As we arrived, the valet taking our car was welcoming and friendly. Indeed, every staff member we met during our stay was smiling helpful. The hotel seemed hip enough to attract young 20-something partiers, yet maintained a comfortable feel for more senior travelers enjoying a night in the city. A wine social from 5-6p, and tea and coffee in the morning, allowed for some mingling and laughs.

We had a corner spa room. What a treat! It had a soaking tub (big enough for two to share) overlooking Independence Hall. The Independence Hall clock chimed 8 times at 8p and reminded us that it was dinner time. The rooftop lounge is a fun outdoor spot to start the evening with a cocktail, or to finish the evening in style.

In the morning, the house-made apple cider donuts available in the Red Owl Tavern were just the right amount of crispy outside, moist inside, and sugary goodness.

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. If we were going to try to find some downsides we might note the following: a) The hotel's website seems proud of their linens...but we actually thought they were less luxurious feeling than we were expecting. And, b) at the price point (plus, $40 for parking) this seems more of a special occasion hotel than a routine stay hotel - look for some web special rates.

Room Tip: Splurge on the corner spa room if you can.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
It sounds like the Monaco was made especially for you. Everything you described from the staff to the experience is exactly how we want all of our guests to remember their stay with us.

Happy to see that you got to take advantage of all we have to offer on property and locally.

I'm not sure if you've heard of our loyalty program - but if you have a chance take a look, its free to join and you get special member only rates!

Come see us again soon - thank you so much for your feedback.

Paramus, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We are on the 2nd floor, it's 11:00 and there's a wedding on the lobby level. The bass thumping is unbearable. We have to raise the volume on our TV 30 to drown it out. Forget about rest, relaxation and sleep is out of the question. The front desk tells us that we will have to endure this for another hour. $300 a night for this? You have to be kidding me! I have been to hundreds of hotels around the world and this is the worst noise violation I have ever experienced. If you plan to be in your room before midnight, make sure you ask if there is a wedding scheduled for the night(s) you're staying. Trust me when I say that I am not thin skinned nor am I ultra sensitive to loud music, this hotel is not built to host a wedding without disturbing the rest of the guests.

Room Tip: Aim for a high floor away from the noise.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Scott B
Hi Scott,

I appreciate you reaching out to us. I'd like the chance to talk more about your experience. Please reach out to me when you have an opportunity.

jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Perfect location, contemporary interior, spacious room. Decorating is updated and clever, but not trendy, with local nods to Philadelphia with photos throughout the hotel. Spacious bathrooms. Plentiful electrical outlets, free good quality internet.

Concierge Brian was amazing, guiding us through decisions on what to do and where to eat for 3 days in Philadelphia. Even the front door man, "T", is full of personality, high fiving guests as they walk in.

The Red Owl Tavern restaurant, attached to the hotel, has well prepared and creative food. It's a lively place! Did we mention free wine every night at 5pm? Also, top notch security on Saturday, when the bar scene on the roof starts hopping.

Room Tip: Despite the close location, not all rooms have a view of the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Th...
Hi

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and to call out some of our great employees. They really do love what they do. With the great staff we have, it makes the hotel, restaurant and lounge that much better for our guests. I'll make sure to share your glowing comments with the team!

Cheers,