“Excellent service!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I just recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco and I must say, this was quite possibly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Service was incredible, especially Rasheet. The Red Owl Tavern had an incredible menu and drink selection. Only complaint is the parking. A little pricey at $40.00/night.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Our staff continues to shine day after day. They truly are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to highlight one of our best! I'll make sure to tell Roshid you said hi.

Best,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip. The hotel is so unique. The decor is very interesting. The bar and restaurant have great atmosphere. The happy hour in the lobby was a great way to wind down before heading out to dinner.

• Stayed: October 2013

Hi Darci - thanks for all the wonderful comments. We love wine hour too - it’s a fun way to end our day and kick off the night with our guests.

Cheers,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

My brothers, sisters and I recently had the very fun experience of traveling to Philadelphia on our annual “sibling” trip and staying at the Monaco. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there—with big kudos to the central location right on Independence Square. The rooms were a reasonably size, and the very big plus (aside from the location) is the staff—especially the Concierge, and in the bar & restaurant on the main floor. But the front desk and the door staff were also great. We would definitely stay there again, but if you are looking for a place to sight see in Philadelphia, there are some things you should be aware of. The hotel does seem to have a constant booking of “events” (weddings, cocktails parties, charity dinners etc.). The only restaurant in the hotel is on two levels,-- one of which is shared with the bar on the main floor. Often, the event will take up the entire second tier of the restaurant, leaving only about a dozen tables in the bar area—which can be problematic if you want a meal. And you will walk at least a couple of blocks to find an outside restaurant. The housekeeping could also use some better controls—one of our party had to change rooms on check-in because of the condition of the room, and our floor was apparently missed one day of our stay, causing those of us on that floor having to call down about 5 pm to request our rooms be cleaned. Towels also arrived with the “inspected by” sticker still on them. But all of this was instantly and satisfactorily remedied by the front desk. An observation about the bar/lounge on the top floor: it’s very popular with the younger set—and geared toward standing at the bar to order your drink and mix/mingle before returning to a table. If you are in the older crowd (which we are) who prefers table-side service, it probably isn’t the best place to have a drink. That was pretty slow, and a bit on the grudging side one night, and non-existent on another. So it’s a matter of personal preference. The hotel does offer a free morning coffee service in the lobby, and a free wine tasting in the afternoon, which we all enjoyed very much. I would also not classify this hotel as “kid convenient”—due to the small eating options and entertainment on site more geared toward adults. However-- I never made it to the pool area, so that may make up for the lack of eating options and other entertainment for kids. Still, the only reason I gave this 4 stars rather than 5 was because of the small bar area on the main level (since the rooftop one was not for our age group), and the housekeeping service. But this would not deter us from staying there again. the hotel was very gracious to us, and went out of their way to recognize us as a family and make our trip to a great city very special.

Room Tip: Two things: if you book, be aware of a practice at this hotel: Mon-Wed rates are higher than the T...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VickiJ

Thank you for letting the Hotel Monaco and our staff play such a big role in your annual trip. It sounds like you all had a great time in the city. Also, thank you for taking the time to highlight some of your experiences during your stay. They are greatly appreciated and will definitely be discussed and addressed. I do hope you will come back!

Take Care,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Having previously stayed at the Kimpton Epic hotel in Miami, my expectations for the Monaco were high. Well, the Monaco Philadelphia is nice, but not great. At least, my experience wasn't. I booked a spa king room and it turned out that I was also given an accessible room. The decor was fantastic, but the proportions of the room were weird with a huge amount of open space. Likewise in the bathroom: there was a wonderful soaking tub but the room felt big and empty. I think the room had all the same amenities as the other spa rooms, it just didn't seem as nice as the photos I've seen of other rooms so I was kind of disappointed to be put in the accessible room without anyone telling me when I checked in.

Aside from that minor detail, I was satisfied with the room. The view was horrible -- facing a wall -- and there was a key broken off in the minibar, but the bed was comfortable and I didn't hear any noise during the night. Until about 8 am, that is. At that time I was awakened by an incredibly loud noise, I think it was a shower in the next room. There was no chance of going back to sleep with that noise, but I stayed in bed anyway until about 10 minutes later when the knocking started. Having no idea who would come to my door that early, I decided to ignore it and wait for the person to go away. But they didn't, they just kept knocking and knocking. And knocking. Finally I jumped out of bed and ran to the door to tell them to come back later. It was a pretty unpleasant way to start the day. Turns out it was housekeeping, though I have no idea why they would come so early. So here's a tip: use your "do not disturb" sign!

Customer service at the Monaco is second to none, the staff is great! I had an issue with a room service order but they took care of it for me. I would stay at the Monaco again, now that I know what to look out for. Even though it's not perfect, it's definitely superior to other hotels in its class.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us about your stay. You've given us some great feedback and I'll make sure that our team follows up on both the service and facility aspects. I loved to read that you still have a great time with us and will be back.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Everything is great about this hotel. The location is ideal, the customer service is awesome, and it is definitely one of the most nicely decorated hotels I have ever been to! I took a million pictures because I was so intrigued by the colors and kitschy decor, this is the best place to stay in Philly.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

I'm so happy to see you had a great experience at the hotel. Its true, everywhere you look there is something else that catches your eye.

Thanks for the love!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I go to the Monaco a couple times a year for business. We stay and meet in the hotel. The meeting rooms are good, nothing fancy. Catering for breakfast and snacks is great, the food is good and plentiful. Lunch was not good. The sandwiches were tiny and came with one bag of chips and an apple or banana. We were laughing at them. The staff who helped us with catering, however, were fantastic and responsive when we requested more water or lemons for tea, etc. They also did a great job of keeping the room tidy and removing trash quickly.

For the hotel, the rooms are on the small side but I find the decor whimsical and fun. The bed is so comfortable! I always sleep well here.

The staff is friendly & helpful. In particular, T & Darnell at the door are always friendly. They went out of their way to provide excellent service and I appreciated the personal touch. They even remembered my name! Hope to see them the next time I have a meeting in Philly.

A couple tips - sign up for the "in touch" program on the hotel website. You can get free wi-fi throughout your stay. It also gets you a $10 raid the mini bar card. You can also request they bring a goldfish to your room which is something I love, as I have fish at home...just an added touch that you don't see at most hotels.

Room Tip: The park view is nice if you can get it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Clearly you know that our staff is our best feature. They are all amazing, and thank you for calling out a few of our Rock Stars! They truly make the difference. I'll make sure to give the guys a high five from you! Thanks for the great feedback - I’ll make sure to pass it along, because size does matter!

Don't stay away too long!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had a lovely stay in Philadelphia at the Hotel Monaco. I like Kimptons and stay at one when I get the chance, and this did not disappoint at all. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and spacious. Only quirk I remember was I couldn't find a price list for how much anything in the mini-bar cost, and I wanted to know what I was getting in to before I cracked open a drink.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Hi Abigail! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us some love!

Hope you get to check out some of our new Kimptons joining the family soon.

Safe Travels,