“Taking the good with the bad”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Taking the good with the bad”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Usually, I am the biggest fan of Kimpton Hotels, but this time I had a few experiences that I made me not feel so hot about this location. I have been raving about Kimpton Hotels so much over the years that some of my friends chose them to host their guest during their wedding weekend. We were excited about the hotel, upon arrival we started receiving top notch service from a gentleman named Tee at the front door. He took us to the front desk where we arrived in time for the 1 hour wine tasting, which we enjoyed. The people at the front desk were very helpful and polite. Our room was very nice. I liked the theme at Kimpton Hotels. They are usually very fun. We overlooked the park, which is a great site during the fall. We spent the night out at dinner and we decided to hang out on the rooftop and this is where our trip turned for the worst.
As guest of the hotel, i thought it would be easy to access the rooftop, but she were question about going up like we were going into a top not NYC club. It turned me off a little bit. Once we were on the rooftop we saw that there were not many people up there, which left me baffled as to why we had to get the third degree to get upstairs. Another one of my friends got in town late and had to check into her room late. We told her she had to be up by 1AM or they would not let her come up. She got to the elevator at 12:55 and they would not let her up. My wife had to go downstairs and debate with the doorman why they should let her up. After a ten minute conversation the doorman finally gave up and let her up stairs, which defeated the entire purpose of the whole rule. Afterward we went to my friends room to send him off with a toast on his last night as a single man, when we were interrupted by hotel security asking us if we were having a party. The following morning we realized this hotel has very thin walls. I could hear everything going on outside my room in the morning.
Later on that day I was in the lobby and I was overwhelmed by the smell of fish, but everyone working downstairs was so nice that I did not mind. Overall I still liked Kimpton Hotels, but the interaction with the people on the rooftop really soured me as well as the thin walls. Maybe they do not hold the doorman on the rooftop to the same standard that they hold the rest of their employees.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my room overlooking the park that holds the Liberty bell.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out about your experience. I will make sure to pass along your feedback to Brian the General Manager of Stratus to review with the manager of the security company. We are continuously striving for perfection, and your comments will help us with that.

Best,

jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Pros:

Great location in the Old City section of Philadelphia, overlooking Independence Park, practically across the street from the Liberty Bell. It's a block over from Market Street.

While there is restaurant connected to the hotel, your best bet is the many restaurants within a 5 to 10 minute walk. Market Street in either direction has plenty of restuarants and bars. Within a 15 minute walk northwest, you can be in Chinatown. 10 minutes straight west will bring you to City Center. For restaurants and bars, the best bet is 5 minutes east, down Market into the Old City.

Rooms are pleasantly quirky, as is typical for Kimpton, but these are nicely done and comfortable.

Very quiet location. Facing parkside, I never heard outside noise. The building seems well insulated for sound, as I rarely heard any interior noise, either.

Lobby is very small but tasteful and has a few little nooks and crannies for a quiet conversation. The hotel's bar and restaurants (Red Owl Tavern) is accessible from the elevator lobby.

Wireless internet was fast and reliable.I appreciated that as I was staying on business and often working in my room in the evening.

Nice flat screen TV, mini-bar in room (typical for Kimpton). Adequate electric outlets around desk and bed.

Small but well-maintained fitness center with several good quality Precor machines (stair climber, a few treadmills).

All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful.

Cons:

Very few....

My room did not have a bathtub and while it had a large walk-in shower, there was no shower door. There was only a completely clear glass wall extending half the length of the shower. This wasn't really an issue since I was solo, but some might not like showering so "in the open" and in full view to the rest of the bathroom. Also, water tended to splash out...but just a sprinkle.

The restuarant, Red Owl Tavern, was overpriced. My meal was tasty but not on par with many other choices in the area....and high for what it was. Perhaps par for the course for hotel restaurants....

As another reviewer mentioned, there tend to be a lot of events hosted by this hotel (weddings, small conferences, etc.). Because the lobby area is really very small, any group can rather dominate the entire lobby, elevator area, and tavern. I noticed this a couple of nights...though it didn't have much effect on me.

No pool. This doesn't matter to me but it might be a factor for families. (The Omni is a two minute walk down Chestnut, and is a bigger hotel with a pool).

Overall, very nice experience!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share a detailed review of your stay with us. I'm glad to see that the Monaco was just what you were looking for.

Safe Travels,

Trenton, NJ
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I am sorry to say that even though our accomodations were top notch, two people in our party had their wallet/credit cards stolen from their rooms. The room, door staff, front end staff were all terrific, but after learning about the the stolen items, I can't give a better rating to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out to the Liberty Bell building.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Please reach out to me when ever possible so we can assist with this matter.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom suite overlooking independence park. The suite was amazing. Really enjoyed the decor. The entire staff was very helpful and accommodating. The happy hour was particularly lovely. Thank you for a great stay! While I understand it is convenient to allow for pets of other travelers, I found the barking rather off-putting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
You’re right! Our suites are the best in the city. Not only are they decorated beautifully, but with our location the view is un like any other. Thanks for showing the love!

Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I just recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco and I must say, this was quite possibly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Service was incredible, especially Rasheet. The Red Owl Tavern had an incredible menu and drink selection. Only complaint is the parking. A little pricey at $40.00/night.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Our staff continues to shine day after day. They truly are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to highlight one of our best! I'll make sure to tell Roshid you said hi.

Best,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip. The hotel is so unique. The decor is very interesting. The bar and restaurant have great atmosphere. The happy hour in the lobby was a great way to wind down before heading out to dinner.

• Stayed October 2013
Hi Darci - thanks for all the wonderful comments. We love wine hour too - it’s a fun way to end our day and kick off the night with our guests.

Cheers,

Concord, California
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My brothers, sisters and I recently had the very fun experience of traveling to Philadelphia on our annual “sibling” trip and staying at the Monaco. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there—with big kudos to the central location right on Independence Square. The rooms were a reasonably size, and the very big plus (aside from the location) is the staff—especially the Concierge, and in the bar & restaurant on the main floor. But the front desk and the door staff were also great. We would definitely stay there again, but if you are looking for a place to sight see in Philadelphia, there are some things you should be aware of. The hotel does seem to have a constant booking of “events” (weddings, cocktails parties, charity dinners etc.). The only restaurant in the hotel is on two levels,-- one of which is shared with the bar on the main floor. Often, the event will take up the entire second tier of the restaurant, leaving only about a dozen tables in the bar area—which can be problematic if you want a meal. And you will walk at least a couple of blocks to find an outside restaurant. The housekeeping could also use some better controls—one of our party had to change rooms on check-in because of the condition of the room, and our floor was apparently missed one day of our stay, causing those of us on that floor having to call down about 5 pm to request our rooms be cleaned. Towels also arrived with the “inspected by” sticker still on them. But all of this was instantly and satisfactorily remedied by the front desk. An observation about the bar/lounge on the top floor: it’s very popular with the younger set—and geared toward standing at the bar to order your drink and mix/mingle before returning to a table. If you are in the older crowd (which we are) who prefers table-side service, it probably isn’t the best place to have a drink. That was pretty slow, and a bit on the grudging side one night, and non-existent on another. So it’s a matter of personal preference. The hotel does offer a free morning coffee service in the lobby, and a free wine tasting in the afternoon, which we all enjoyed very much. I would also not classify this hotel as “kid convenient”—due to the small eating options and entertainment on site more geared toward adults. However-- I never made it to the pool area, so that may make up for the lack of eating options and other entertainment for kids. Still, the only reason I gave this 4 stars rather than 5 was because of the small bar area on the main level (since the rooftop one was not for our age group), and the housekeeping service. But this would not deter us from staying there again. the hotel was very gracious to us, and went out of their way to recognize us as a family and make our trip to a great city very special.

Room Tip: Two things: if you book, be aware of a practice at this hotel: Mon-Wed rates are higher than the T...
Green Features: About average. There didn't seem to be an option to reuse your towels.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VickiJ
Thank you for letting the Hotel Monaco and our staff play such a big role in your annual trip. It sounds like you all had a great time in the city. Also, thank you for taking the time to highlight some of your experiences during your stay. They are greatly appreciated and will definitely be discussed and addressed. I do hope you will come back!

Take Care,