“Service is A+, location can't be beat.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“Service is A+, location can't be beat.”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Alice and Wonderland whimsical décor, great mood lighting in the room. The room decor is a refreshing change from the generic; bright colors and funky prints on the walls were cheerful. The bed & pillows were comfortable with good linens; slept great. iPod docking station saved me since I forgot the charger to my iPad. The shower/bath was terrific. The room was overall very nice & clean and bright. The room we originally booked was bright with a park view, which I suggest, the other rooms can be a tad dark. BUT we got a birthday upgrade to a much larger room and it was splendid! couldn't ask for more.The hotel offers free wine between 5 & 6pm in the lobby, so when we arrived to check in, it was a party. I needed that glass of wine while waiting to check in ( it was after 5 on a Friday) The concierge, Brian was superb. Treated us like rock stars and was very professional at the same time. We had a tiny bit of trouble with room service, but not enough to take away a star. I think a room with a view really makes a difference, so consider that when booking. The location was really unbeatable, but the main thing for me is service, had it been poorly located, I still think I would walk a bit to get the same service. We did not check out the rooftop club..... Thanks Lulu and Brian for a smashing birthday stay!!

Room Tip: I can only say that the regular king rooms without a view can be dark.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wkdwtch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Turkish first
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband & I stayed here, with my elderly mother, for the 2013 Phili Marathon. Our daughter-in-law was participating and we booked the room through the Marathon site requiring a double room. Unfortunately, when I called 2 days prior to confirm all was well I was told I had a single king. Also told no other rooms available, and they could provide a rollaway. We had no choice but to accept. On our way I called to inquire about early check-in, and on the off chance a double had opened up asked again. The gentlemen at the desk was AMAZING. Yes, they had a king double, handicapped, etc., changed the room at no extra charge. That was only the beginning. EVERY staff member we came in contact with from kitchen staff to night manager were courteous, upbeat, helpful and completely accommodating. We used their bikes at the Marathon and the night manager gave us tips as to which streets had bike lanes, etc. In addition to marathoners & their families, several wedding parties were also going on and the staff never lost a beat. Awesome location, and great staff. Bonnie from NJ

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Independence Square-great location for people watching.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bonnie6465
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I'm pretty sure that we are much too old to be staying in a trendy hotel like the Monaco. We were there with a small group in November. It is very cute, with whimsical decor, like lighting fixtures created with teapots. The room decor is a refreshing change from neutral and generic; bright colors and big prints on the walls were cheerful and fun. The bed & pillows were comfortable with good linens; the shower was terrific. The room was overall very nice & clean, although the glasses in the bathroom didn't look perfectly clean----I never use them anyway, but these looked unappealing. The room was on the small side. We had to squeeze the curtains around the armoire to close them for the night. So, I enjoyed the decor but might have liked a more spacious room. The hotel offers free wine between 5 & 6pm in the lobby, so when we arrived to check in it appeared that we were landing in the middle of someone's party. It was quite loud & chaotic. Morning coffee is also served in the lobby, but not until 7am. The first morning I had to ask the staff to lower the volume on the head-banger music being broadcast in the lobby. They did lower it to a tolerable level, to the relief of quite a few coffee drinkers. There were many of us waiting for breakfast to begin being served at 8am on Saturday and Sunday. The coffee and the breakfast were both way too late. Where is the emphasis on service? We had early plans both mornings, and would have liked to eat earlier. A door tag in our room suggested that the desk could print our boarding passes for us. We completed the form and gave it to the desk the night before our departure, but they were unable to print them for us for some reason. The hotel was on the route of the Philadelphia Marathon, which created a problem for people departing between 7 - 10am. This was an unusual occurrence, but resulted in much confusion. The staff was pleasant, but didn't really deliver. There is a popular bar on the roof, for which there was a line. Younger folks will love this hotel, no doubt. Not sure about us older folks. I'd opt for a less whimsical hotel that offered better service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PoisonPrincess
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I visited this hotel twice in one month for two separate business meetings. In addition to the hotel being in a great location and being a perfect setting for a business meeting, the service was top notch. It was nice to be remembered the second time I visited. Right before my business meeting started, I noticed a runner in my pantyhose. Out of desperation, I asked a bellman, Rachid, if he would be willing to run out and buy me a pair of pantyhose. He was more than happy to help, got the right size and kind and did it with a great attitude, discretion and sense of humor. The meeting we held went off without a hitch and the staff was really helpful, attending to our every need. Food was high quality. Guest rooms were very comfortable. Cozy "living room" where coffee and tea is served in the morning. I really enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Patty L
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Gorgeously quirky hotel in a spot on location overlooking Independence hall, but make sure you pay for the room upgrade. We had a small central room overlooking other hotel windows and nothing else, it was adjacent to the main air circulation system and so noisy we couldn't sleep, it was also on the 10th floor where the entrance to the hotels nightclub was located which was weird and off putting. We complained, but being a weekend and a popular hotel, there were no other rooms available and we had to spend another night where we were, but we were staying for a week and the hotel offered to move us the following day and upgraded us to a park view room, wow, what a difference, exactly the same style and facilities, but much bigger, brighter and an awesome view! We loved the new room. The decor in the hotel is lovely and the bed was very comfortable and the pillows were excellent, although I didn't like the fact that the duvet is wrapped in sheets rather than a duvet cover!? We were disappointed that there are no 'in room' tea or coffee facilities (service is provided free down in the lobby) and we never received a key for the mini bar. The bathroom was lovely, but the shower design of a short glass screen is awful and no matter how careful you are it soaks the floor.
All in all, this is a lovely and comfortable hotel in a fab location and we enjoyed our stay. Reception staff and housekeeping staff were all brilliant.
Nice breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very new and the entire building is well appointed. There is a nice rooftop bar that has interior and outside tables. The concierge was outstanding with recommendations for restaurants and activities.

• Stayed October 2013
Hilo,HI
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Rooms were very clean, and modern. They even put a goldfish in the room for the kids! It was really nice to stay at a trendy hotel that was so family friendly. The restaurant that as attached was also excellent.
We will be back!