“Wonderful hotel….”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My first stay at a Kimpton hotel. Certainly wont be my last. Super location, downtown Philly, close to 5th and Market station.
Friendly and helpful staff throughout the hotel.
Enjoyed the morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate (with marshmellows) and evening wine hour in the Lobby.
The room and bathroom were just right.
Little things, like the Yoga mat in the room and umbrella, added a nice touch.
I would have given a 5-star Rating but for the Red Owl Tavern (the attached restaurant). Would have liked to see more food options there, and perhaps a Buffet breakfast.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you so much for you wonderful comments and your great feedback. I'm so glad that you loved the hotel and all we have to offer. I hope you stay true to your promise, and come back to Kimpton!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've ever written a review ...... The hotel itself was very interestingly (loudly) decorated not my taste but was actually kind of fun for something different and the location could not be beat so we decided to stay. We got in late but were upgraded to a 9th floor room with a view of Independence Hall. The staff was excellent, the bed comfortable our first night stay was great. However, on Saturday night their rooftop lounge on the 11th floor has loud music with thumping base until two a.m.! Horrible because we had to leave for the airport by 6:30 am! I called the front desk and the lady told me she would have them turn it down. They didn't. When we were leaving we told the front desk again and they were very apologetic but did not offer to discount our bill or anything else in recompense. If staying in Philadelphia I would only consider a stay here again if it was NOT on a Saturday night!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with us. I’m very sorry that your second night was not as relaxing and enjoyable as your first. Please feel free to reach out to so we can connect more on your experience.

Best,

jessica.lavin@hotelmanager.com

Reviewed 6 December 2013

For what is supposed to be a top rate hotel, they have a Mickey Mouse reservation system. I called to book a room for a wedding in May. (The wedding party had a block of rooms) The hotel failed to follow up with the email confirmation. A week later I called to reconfirm. A t first the agent could not find the reservation. Then after a 25 minute hold, they found the reservation but would not give me the confirmation number. Did I mention they disconnected the call twice. Come on folks get it together.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Boston2Bronx
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Please know that these issues are not normal for our hotel or for Kimpton. Please feel free to reach out with any concerns or additional information.

Best,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was our first time staying at a Kimpton Hotel, and we loved it. The whole hotel was beautifully decorated, and very clean, ...Lobby was immaculate and smelled so good!...all the time!!!...Fireplace roaring was a nice warm welcome after walking around town in 20 degree weather all day!

The location is perfect! across the street from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Double Decker bus tours around the corner. Walking distance to all the major historic attractions... We parked the car when we got there and did not need it again until we left...can't beat that!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RCirne

Our hotel definitely makes visiting Philadelphia so much easier. We have a great location to the sites, and so much available just outside our door. I'm really glad you had a perfect trip.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you are in town to see the historical district, the Kimpton’s location cannot be beat. It is across the street from Constitution Hall. The Kimpton goes for the modern look, but managed to get all the way to tacky. The nightstands are large round tables covered in squares of mirror. They look like a repurposed ballroom light-reflecting chandelier. The dressers are a take-off on Japanese red lacquer furniture with no apparent connection to the broken mirror side tables. Small matter however. The rooms were nice, our suite was spacious and our daughter’s room a good size. We appreciated the many electrical outlets, including outlets on the lamps on the bedside tables. The service was fine. Breakfast is in the pub, and while the tables are perfect for holding beer steins, they are a bit small for breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

I truly agree, we have the best location in the city. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

When you first walk in, you realize this isn't a small boutique hotel, yet somehow it still manages the charm and friendliness of one. I love all the alice in wonderland themed rooms and all the amenities are great. This is the only hotel I actually use the minibar! The rooftop bar is inviting and has an outstanding cocktail list. Items "off the menu" are even better. I stay here regularly for business but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here for pleasure either.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We do try and keep the magical alive every day. It’s wonderful to read that you having fallen in love with our property. Thank you so much for staying with us. I hope we get the chance to meet on one of your next visits.

Cheers,

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My family of four - two teenage daughters and my wife and I - just returned from a three night stay at the Hotel Monaco. We shared a two Queen bed park view room (730). For the most part, we loved the hotel but for a few misfires:

The Good:

The reception area is awesome! Very comfortable and funky. We checked in during the wine hour, so we slid right into vacation mode upon arrival.

The staff is very friendly and welcoming - all around great service.

The room was extremely clean and well decorated. The bathroom was adequate. We're regular Kimpton clients and the bathrooms are usually spa-like. This one was fine, nothing special.

The location is prime. Our room overlooked the Jefferson Gardens (and the statue). We could see the City skyline and the water. Plus we were easy walking distance from great shopping on Walnut Street, Old Town, and Society Hill.

The Not-So-Good:

Shampoo and conditioner were never replaced. This is a no-brainer. We didn't ask because we had supplies with us, but it should be done routinely.

We valet parked ($40), which was fine most of the time. However, we were going to a play at the Walnut Street Theatre (again, easy walking distance) and my wife asked for the valet to bring her coat from the car 30 minutes before we left for the show. The valet told her the coat would be brought up within 15 minutes. 45 minutes later still no coat, and the valet had no explanation for the delay. We left without the coat.

The water in the reception area wasn't filled twice during our stay. No big deal, but again, attention to little details makes a difference.

The Red Owl restaurant is connected to the hotel. We ate there for dinner on the night we arrived, and breakfast another day. The dinner was meh, the breakfast very good. The service was not great at dinner, and it was excellent at breakfast. It would be nice to have consistent service and food quality.

Overall, our stay was really good. We are planning a return trip in May and we will likely stay here again. With small improvements, I would easily rate this property as 5 star.

Room Tip: Room 730 has a great view and it's close to the elevator. Very quiet too!