“Beautiful Hotel in a Beautiful City”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Everything about my stay at the Hotel Monaco exceeded my expectations. The hotel is beautifully decorated, ideally situated and is just a treat to be a guest at. From their cozy "living room" and nightly hosted wine hour to their exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff, the Hotel Monaco exudes warmth, class and a fun attitude. I especially enjoyed the complimentary morning tea and coffee bar. Something seemingly small , like the tea that they served (Mighty Leaf) was just one indication of the kind excellent service and care you can expect here. The rooms were beautifully styled and absolutely ecclectic (Rocky bathrobes, peacock wallpaper and fun prints EVERYWHERE!) however I would recommend going outside the hotel to eat.

Shoutout to Matt: Matt at the front desk was fantastic. He recommended excellent places to eat and gave us directions to see the popular sights of the beautiful city of Philadelphia. He was kind, sociable and generally interested in making my stay a fun one. All the front desk staff made excellent dinner and breakfast suggestions, my only complaint being that they seemed hesitant to recommend any place that was slightly below 5 star.

I would love to come back to see more of the wonderful city of Philadelphia, and it goes without saying that I would stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

[anonymous]

Thanks for choosing to stay at the Hotel Monaco! Assuming you had high expectations coming in, we're thrilled we were able to exceed them. Matt is definitely a great representative for our hotel He started as a bellman and has rapidly ascended to a great guest service agent (and sometimes concierge) because he's committed to helping our guests enjoy the city as much he enjoys it. We'll try to send you to some of our favorite dives next time around, but there are a lot of great food venues that feel 5 star as Philly has a thriving food scene.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,814)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Big spacious rooms, well appointed guest areas. Drinks in the lobby each night. Stayed for 2 nights and loved it

One drawback was the "upgrade" we were offered. We booked a park view room but a few days before arriving we received an email and were offered a King Room with a Spa bath.

I assumed we would still be overlooking the park but were not. And the bath was not a spa.

Not a criticism of the hotel or the service but perhaps the communication could be a little better.

Room Tip: Be careful of the upgrade offer. We took it and gained a larger room, but did lose a view of the par...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RNS1971
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

RNS1971 -

Thank you for visiting us on your recent holiday to Philadelphia. Glad you had a nice stay but it does seem like something was lost in translation for sure. Our King Spa rooms are spacious and have a great soaker tub, but it is not a jacuzzi as you might have expected and the view is not nearly as historic as our parkview rooms overlooking Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

Hopefuly you will have an opportunity to come back and we can show you what's behind door number two.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed here for the last 3 nights with our family of 5. It is a fantastic location. While my husband took my older son to visit colleges, I was able to stay back with our younger 2 children and be walking distance to many local attractions. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was perfect and gave us plenty of room. The front desk was very helpful with suggestions and directions. There is a great movie theater right around the Corner that plays artsy movies.

• Stayed: April 2014

Judy 12336050 -

Hopefully this is the first of many visits to Philadelphia after your son opts to go to one of the amazing schools here (UPenn, Xavier, Drexel, Villanova, La Salle, St. Joe's, or Temple - definitely rivals Boston for depth of education). There are a lot of niche businesses in Old City that make it really fun to explore.

Happy Travels -

Reviewed 1 April 2014

What a great hotel. The room was exceptional. We stayed in the 'Corner King Spa' room (I think it was 803). It really was an awesome room. Big. Well appointed. Exceptional view (one window looks right at Independence Hall). Huge soaker tub with a view. Decorations are eclectic which we loved The room was quiet and very comfortable.

The location is perfect. The hotel is right next to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

We had a rough trip to the hotel and they couldn't do enough to make things great. We unfortunately had a car bad accident on our road trip on the way to Philadelphia. I called the hotel in the morning hoping they knew of a collision center open on a Sunday. The concierge Andrew was unbelievable. Even though he couldn't find anything, he kept trying. And when we arrived at the hotel he had somehow dug up a shop that claimed they would be open on Sunday. Andrew definitely went above and beyond. He even had a treat delivered to a room with a comical note to try lighten our moods. Very much appreciated.

The only disappointment was that we were only there one night.

Room Tip: Go for the king spa option. It was a modest upgrade but the room was worth it. We faced the front an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

In2exploring -

Sorry that you had to wreck your car in order to tap into Andrew's brilliance. He's really good at your run-of-the-mill restaurant recommendations and historic tour bookings too. But I am thrilled nonetheless that we were able to help you relax a little bit on your brief trip through.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to come back soon (and maybe fly this time).

Safe travels -

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We've always enjoyed our stays at Kimpton hotels. The fact that their rooms are always so funky, that they are super dog-friendly, and that they have a great loyalty program always make us want to stay at a Kimpton property if one is available in the city we're visiting. Although we usually stay at the Hotel Palomar when in Philly, we decided to stay at the Monaco a few weekends ago.

While the rooms were great and the front desk staff were very friendly, we had a terrible experience on the particular night we stayed there. As we were leaving the hotel on our way to dinner at a BYO restaurant (where you bring in your own wine or beer), the doorman stopped me and proceeded to ACCUSE me of stealing the bottle that I had been carrying. He suggested I had taken it from the hotel bar, the Red Owl Tavern (how or why would you steal an entire bottle from a restaurant anyhow?) I tried to clarify the situation since I assumed it was a simple misunderstanding, but he continued to argue. We had a car waiting and ultimately moved around him to leave, but I felt that if my boyfriend hadn't been there, he would've held me there and continued to question me. It was honestly a terrible experience and very offensive. When we reported it to management, they indicated they would talk to the individual, but didn't seem genuinely concerned about the situation.

While I like the rooms and hotel itself, the experience marred the whole stay. I also refuse to stay here again knowing that management cares so little about its guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank a_dc_traveler71
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

deuxprop -

I assure you we were genuinely concerned about the situation. The behavior you encountered by a member of the security team was completely unacceptable and unprofessional. Generally speaking, employees who behave in that manner are not long for this hotel. Our business is taking care of our guests and we do not take it lightly. I am sorry that you did not get this impression upon your visit to the hotel, but promise that the feeling of welcomeness and care is of paramount importance to everyone working here. If you do return to the Monaco, you will be cared for.

Highest regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The service was the best part of this all around great hotel. Everyone really put in the effort to make our stay easy and comfortable. From helpful driving directions from the front desk, to the waitress in the restaurant who helped distract our hangry toddler.

The room was gorgeous. We signed up for, and got, the upgrade to a Deluxe One Bedroom. Tons of space for the little ones to run around. Furniture was overall pretty kid friendly (glass tables were easily tucked out of the way). The older kid especially loved having the Alice in Wonderland book read to him.

Bonus: it's a dog friendly hotel! The kids love dogs! And happy kiddos = happy parents.

Would certainly stay again!

Room Tip: Suite 401 is huge with lovely views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

MusicalChair -

Thank you for bringing the whole family on your recent staycation. Also making happy parents: our nightly manager hosted wine reception! Hope to see everybody back here soon.

Happy travels -

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a fun hotel in a great neighbourhood with excellent restaurants and pubs just a few blocks away. The staff members are friendly and helpful; the rooms are clean and bright, and everything (from the rooms to the common areas) is beautifully decorated. As with most Kimpton hotels, there is complimentary wine each night in the lounge -- a tradition which is very welcome. I had never been to Philadelphia before this trip and wondered if I was staying at the best spot, but I think I made a great choice. I plan to return and will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We chose a room overlooking the park, but I don't think it was necessary for a great stay.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nancy M

Nancy M -

I would agree that you selected the best spot for basecamp on your sojourn into Philadelphia. It is probably the most historic square mile in the country and the list of great restaurants starts with our own Red Owl Tavern and Stratus Lounge, and is growing rapidly. Can't wait to see you again soon.