“Hotel Monaco Philadelphia”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Endicott, New York
“Hotel Monaco Philadelphia”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Three-day trip to Philadelphia to see historic sites and museums. Hotel is in an old building beautifully renovated. We had a view of Independence Hall from our room. Had stayed at Kimpton's Monaco in San Francisco and this was every bit as exceptional. Can't beat the location, cleanliness, service all excellent. On-site Red Owl Restaurant is outstanding. Only regret not getting to visit the rooftop bar as a private party had it booked. Convenient valet parking was a reasonable $40 per day. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a street view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Ed D -

We love entertaining our bi-coastal Monaco fanbase. Thank you for choosing the Monaco Philadelphia on your trip to America's most historic mile. Hopefully we'll see you back soon so you can try a cocktail or two in Stratus.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Monaco on a family vacation. We were greeted by the friendliest doorman. His name is T. He memorized our names and took special care of our family. He even took us across the street to see George Washington's house.
The hotel was amazingly comfortable and beautiful and the location can't be beat (right across the street from Independence Hall).
We would really sad to leave this wonderful hotel!

Stayed April 2014
Jeanniejclark -

We were equally sad to see you go. I think I last saw T staring out the front windows forllornly, waiting for you to come back. He wants to show you Betsy Ross' house which is just behind the hotel (did anyone NOT live in Philadelphia way back when?).

Safe travels -

Royersford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco on Saturday, 4/5/14. We were treated like VIPs the moment we stepped out of our car. Valet couldn't have been nicer. The staff is one of the friendliest we have ever experienced. The entire hotel is super beautiful and inviting. The complimentary wine happy hour in the lobby with the gorgeous fireplace was awesome! The Red Owl tavern provided a more-than-delicious lunch! The room was super comfortable, clean, and modern. We loved everything about it. The shower was open and spacious. The free-standing Japanese Spa tub was a great way to unwind after a night out! The king bed was perfect. The location of the hotel is perfect, too. It was a short walk (less than 10minutes) to Talula's Garden where we had drinks and a less than 5 minute walk to Jones where we had dinner. We highly recommend both restaurants!

Again, I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay. We are looking forward to many furture stays here. We are definitely calling Monaco "our place" when we refer to it.

Room Tip: The Japanese Spa Tub is a nice treat! Book a spa room if you like that sort of option!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
bryan b -

Sounds like a perfect stay at your place! Looking forward to welcoming you back again and again. Hope you don't mind but we're probably going to have a few guests over in the mean time.

Happy travels -

arlington, va
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We attended a wedding weekend at this hotel recently. It is in a great location—right next to Independence Hall and near Society Hill. (Walked down Delancey Street, charming area of town.) Loved the decor of the room. The room was very quiet (such a plus)—we were facing the opposite way from Independence Square. Our room was very small, kind of European hotel small. There is a desk chair, no other chair in the room—which is a bummer if there are two people staying. The bathroom was lovely but had one of those partial glass enclosures so things do get wet. The gym is terrific. (Just hope that no one is using the punching bag which is kind of loud.) The food and service at the Red Owl were lacking. It is fine for drinks—though there was a (female) bartender with a strange sense of humor. There is a cookie shop down the street—Cookie Confidential—delicious. There is also a Super Fresh grocery store down the street...always handy for water, etc. I liked the hotel and give it four stars because it is swell and comfy—just be prepared for a small room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathleenmarie
cathleenmarie -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco for a swell weekend! It sounds like you had a great opportunity to explore our great neighborhood. When you come back, we'll have you explore some more of the hotel by getting you in a different room. We have rooms of varying sizes and layouts as we are in a historic building and had to work around a lot of the existing structure to make everyone as comfortable as possible.

Regards -

Mark

PS What is a Philly gym without a boxing bag?
El Paso, TX
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is very lovely with a friendly staff and in a great location. But it's beautifully wallpapered walls are just that, paper thin. I was traveling with my husband and teenaged daughter. I chose this location because of its wonderful reviews and perfect location. I'm 6 months pregnant and needed to be close to the sights we were visiting so we could easily walk back to the hotel for rest breaks.
The first night was fine, except for the fact that we were given the wrong room number and had to go back to the front lobby to find out why our room key didn't work. No big deal but this was the first sign of things to come.
The following morning my husband and I awoke to the most horrifying sound. The couple next door were going at it and doing so very loudly. Okay, we get it, it's in the privacy of their room. But it woke us up from deep sleep! We heard more than we ever wanted to hear! So my husband immediately jumped up to get the tv remote before our daughter heard them. He had to keep turning the volume up because it kept getting louder and louder! I was at a loss for words. I spoke to the front desk clerk once we were ready and heading out that morning. They apologized and said the couple was checking out and promised they would be more mindful of who they placed next to us.
So out we go, tired and hungry. We had a busy day and came back to get some rest before dinner. I was settling down for a much needed nap when what do I hear... a very loud dog barking! Yes, this is a pet friendly hotel. I love animals. We have a dog that we kept at a separate pet hotel for a reason. So now I'm really upset. First the early morning wake up and now the baking dog. A guest across the hall was just as upset. I promptly called the front desk and they said they would take care of the situation. So this is what they thought was a better fit? Well, they couldn't get the dog to settle down so my husband finally went downstairs to speak to them in person. I was crying from sheer exhaustion and annoyance.
We've stayed at many hotels over the years, pet friendly, in Las Vegas and Atlantic City where people party into the wee hours of the night. But never have we been able to clearly hear other people's conversations, activities and such through the walls as we did here. I guess it's because it's an old building.
In the end the manager, Priya, took care of us and tried her best to make things better. We enjoyed a lovely dinner at the tavern located within the hotel.
I would only stay here if I was traveling without children and not pregnant. That way I can enjoy the free wine they serve in the evening. It's probably what helps the other guests sleep through the night.
I was going to give this hotel a slightly bete rating just because they did try to make things better. But when I got home and looked over my room bill I realized that we had mini bar charges on there that we didn't incur. I mean, really? After all we went through now I had to deal with this. My husband told me to just let it go, it only added up to $30. But I just couldn't. So I called the hotel and was answered by Priya. She remembered me of course and quickly took care of the charges. Sigh, what a disappointment. The hotel is so lovely. But like they say, you can't judge a book by its cover.

2 Thank emoraila
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
emoralia -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco on your trip to Philadelphia. We obviously wanted you to love your stay as much as you hoped to, and likewise we are severely disappointed that you left here stressed, tired, and upset. Basically the opposite of our expectations for anyone's stay with us. While I can't comment on the couple enjoying their stay next door, we should have been more conscientious when checking-in the dog next door to you the following day. We love dogs too, but understand that they may be more vocal in their displeasure (or pleasure) when left alone. We do offer pet-free floors to completely isolate guests (pet lovers and non-lovers alike) from potential noise and if you should return I would ensure we blocked you there. To top it off, billing issues when you get home. I sympathize with your frustration. I know Priya and our team worked hard to make it up to you, but clearly we could have done better, and if you do return, I assure you a different, and better experience.

In service,

Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Thanks to Sean, "aka, THE GENERAL", Rashad, and the other hotel staff for their excellent service and hospitality during our resent stay at the Hotel Monaco. We will definitely stay at this hotel on future trips to Philadelphia. Only recommendation would be to improve on the open shower, closing off the shower a little more so the water is not all over the bath room. From your Friends in Lancaster County (Marietta, Elizabethtown people)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Shane G -

The General had an order for you to come back soon. Roshid will be waiting for you with a cup of coffee and a willingness to get you pretty much anything you need. Those two are an amazing team...I think they might be twins sometimes they're so in tune with each other and our guests. LanCo isn't too far away so we expect to see you plenty more this summer.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Everything about my stay at the Hotel Monaco exceeded my expectations. The hotel is beautifully decorated, ideally situated and is just a treat to be a guest at. From their cozy "living room" and nightly hosted wine hour to their exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff, the Hotel Monaco exudes warmth, class and a fun attitude. I especially enjoyed the complimentary morning tea and coffee bar. Something seemingly small , like the tea that they served (Mighty Leaf) was just one indication of the kind excellent service and care you can expect here. The rooms were beautifully styled and absolutely ecclectic (Rocky bathrobes, peacock wallpaper and fun prints EVERYWHERE!) however I would recommend going outside the hotel to eat.

Shoutout to Matt: Matt at the front desk was fantastic. He recommended excellent places to eat and gave us directions to see the popular sights of the beautiful city of Philadelphia. He was kind, sociable and generally interested in making my stay a fun one. All the front desk staff made excellent dinner and breakfast suggestions, my only complaint being that they seemed hesitant to recommend any place that was slightly below 5 star.

I would love to come back to see more of the wonderful city of Philadelphia, and it goes without saying that I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
[anonymous]

Thanks for choosing to stay at the Hotel Monaco! Assuming you had high expectations coming in, we're thrilled we were able to exceed them. Matt is definitely a great representative for our hotel He started as a bellman and has rapidly ascended to a great guest service agent (and sometimes concierge) because he's committed to helping our guests enjoy the city as much he enjoys it. We'll try to send you to some of our favorite dives next time around, but there are a lot of great food venues that feel 5 star as Philly has a thriving food scene.