“Affordable Luxury in the Heart of Philly”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Affordable Luxury in the Heart of Philly”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is the best hotel in Philadelphia, period. I was here a few weeks ago, and had a seriously perfect stay. The location is right where you want to be - across from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. The decor is eclectic, modern and refreshing. The staff was friendly and attentive, especially during their free wine hour which was a great touch. And the room we stayed in was a corner room with a perfect view of Independence Hall, a huge bath tub and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in at a hotel. This is what I would call affordable luxury, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank Bryan S
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Bryan S -

Best review on Trip Advisor, period. Thank you for choosing us!

Happy travels -

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I loved this hotel. The decorations are the first thing you will notice because it is absolutely non traditional. Everything seems to have been hand picked. The beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are ample. The staff is very nice and all are ready to serve. Really a nice experience overall.

One thing...I would stay away from their restaurant. The Red Owl Tavern is pricey and not worth the time. You are sure to find plenty of other excellent restaurants a few blocks from there where you will be happy to shed the extra bucks.

Room Tip: Join their rewards program and get free glass of wine and unlimited internet
1 Thank Caminante0709
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Caminante0709 -

Everything was hand-picked by our designer Todd-Avery Lenehan. Obviously a very detail oriented guy. If you want as much detail in designing your Kimpton experiences, joining our Karma loyalty program certainly is a great start.

Thank you for staying with us.

chatsworth, CA, USA
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A quick one night stay over couldn't have been more annoying. We didn't get to the hotel until after midnight. The front desk was very accommodating by getting us a king sized bed room and a double queen for my son's family. The "bellman" stood by the car while my son had to unload the car. There was no one to help take the luggage rack to the room after the bellman valeted the car. Though the rooms were pleasant to the eye and the bed comfortable, the sliding bathroom door took two hands for either of us to close or open. The inside of the door was all scratched so it can't be that no one else alerted the staff to this problem.
Our family was on a very tight travel schedule so we got up early to see the Liberty Bell - the only plus to the hotel is its location. When we got back to the hotel we called for our car, took our luggage down and waited ONE HOUR for our car to be brought up-which we had to load ourselves. After a 45 minute wait, my son complained to the front desk and was given a $40 credit for the valet parking fee.
Accommodations good- service zero.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cilbcpa
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
cilbcpa -

I'm aggravated and I didn't have to struggle with my luggage or my bathroom door. Our service, particularly our bell and door service is much better than what you experienced. Those gentlemen did not take your feedback lightly. Our engineering team is quite proactive as well, with a robust preventative maintenance program to help catch the issue you experienced before you do (typically). We missed the mark this time, but have made the appropriate repairs since. Hopefully we will have another shot at hosting you and your family and add a one to the front of that zero.

Regards -

Brunswick, Ohio
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I travel often for business and appreciate a nice hotel and friendly staff. The experience was very good and I contribute most of it to the friendly employees. Housecleaning staff was great and the front desk staff was very helpful. Will be traveling back to the area soon and will absolutely stay at this hotel again.

Suzanne F -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco on your whirlwind business adventures. It certainly is an honor to have been a stand out when places and days can blend together after consistently being on the road.

Best -

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia for 4 nights in June 2014. Interesting stay at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, after primarily staying at international properties abroad in Asia/Europe. I consider the property pretty expensive, at about US$300 per night including taxes. Besides meeting all the basic criteria for a luxury property of good facilities and cleanliness, it has a boutique feel with interesting decor and services (such as free bicycle rentals) -- and social events such as 5PM to 6PM (?) free wine at the lobby (which was popular) and rooftop bar with DJ. The other guests seemed cool and edgy - more so than typical.

Hotel Monaco is located by 2nd and Chestnut, which is literally across the street from Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, and nearby to many restaurants, bars, and historic sights.

There was free internet if you signed up for their frequent guest program. The guest program was the only one available with the Hotel Monaco chain, and the chain only has US properties today, nothing international. No affiliation with airline or other frequent flyer/hotel programs.

No swimming pool. Small fitness center but well equipped with premium equipment -- including boxes of varying heights for box jumps. 24 hour access to fitness center.

Premium toiletries with C.O. Bigelow brand. I've only seen this brand of toiletries during a stay last year at Gild Hall in NYC (a Thompson property).

The hotel had a restaurant connected to the lobby, Red Owl Tavern. Breakfast was not included in the room price, however, I was not forced to participate in expensive breakfast buffets. A la carte options for granola & yogurt (US$9), berries (US$6), omelettes (US$12) were reasonable and delicious.

Room Tip: Park-side rooms face Independence Park.
bentobox007 -

Welcome to Kimpton Hotels! You are correct that our loyatly program is exclusive to us, but we just rolled out the revamped program (it's basically new AND improved). Eventually you can expect to find some of our properties outside of the US. Until then we'll have to contend with being the best we can be in the cities we are in.

Hopefully you find a few more of our properties (or us again).

Cheers -

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We simply loved the decorating style and were practically taking our morning coffee on the steps of Philly's Independence Hall, looking at the Bell. It was nice and cosy, very friendly people, excellent bed and linens, overall a memorable stay, would not stay anywhere else :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Simona C -

It's a very unique experience in and around the hotel. Sharing the same space that the signers of the Declaration of Independence is...surreal. Awesome. Can't wait to see you back here.

Thank you for choosing the Monaco.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Chose this hotel for my own family and a couple of my friends basically due to so many positive reviews here. We had occupied two rooms for two nights. The hotel itself was nice, from its location to the friendliness of the staffs, though my wife and me didn't appreciate its decors. It seemed pretentious. If you were familiar with hotels of Peninsula, Raffles, Mandarin Oriental or The Langham, you know what I mean. However, as a former editor in one of the foreign editions of Travel+Leisure, and now an occasional contributor to this renown professional magazine, I would rate Hotel Monaco Philadelphia 7 or 8 out of 10 for its overall performance, if my credit card did not overcharged.

On the first nights of our stay, I received transaction notifications from my bank that stated the hotel charged me SIX times, with different amounts of 62.45, 102.45 and four 75 USD. I guessed the four 75 USD were pre-authorizations for each night of our stay. But as for the former two amounts, I had no idea. I paid the rooms almost a month earlier than the day we drove to Philly. However, based my own experience and my trust to the hotel, I did not ask the front desk about them the next morning. I just couldn't imagine a hotel with such prestige would overcharge its guests upon the first night!

When we checked out after a great journey in Phily, I asked a guy at the front desk about the charges. He handed me a bill of 40 USD for valet parking and assured me that those amounts were pre-authorizations and none of them would be debited to my account. I was satisfied by the answer and headed to DC with my companies.

But in my first morning in DC, I got another notifications that confirmed three transactions done by the hotel, with amounts of 137.45, 177.45 and 40 USD. I was quite confused and called the hotel after a tired day. The guy who on the line admitted they had overcharged me 137.45, but denied the amount of 177.45, with an explanation that it was 137.45 plus 40, and promised to refund me immediately. Once again I chose to believe what he said.

However, I knew I was wrong again when I finished the journey in US and returned to UK ten days later. My bank statement showed the hotel did refund 137.45, but charged 177.45 anyway. I had no choice but to dispute the transaction with my bank. It shall take a month long to resolved this unnecessary problem.

To be honest, among hundreds of hotels I have stayed in Asia, Europe and North America, the Hotel Monaco Philadelphia is the only one that overcharged me. It stands out so prominently that I, decide to contribute my first online review to it. Here is a simple advice I want to give those who are reading reviews from Tripadvisor and considering the possibility to book their room at the hotel: WATCH YOUR WALLETS.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank a-light-traveler
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
a-light-traveler -

I was incredibly hopeful to read the opening of your review. Certainly an 8 out of 10 from such a seasoned traveler is no small accomplishment. But of course then the bottom fell out due to the complications from your credit card. I have reviewed your two reservations and did note that we initially made an error but corrected it the day you called. Clearly we are disappointed at the confusion that reigned after your departure but I am confident that we quickly righted the ship. If you would like to discuss this further so that I may add clarity to the issue, please reach out to me directly at mark.hayes@hotelmonaco.com. I assure you that we value the security of your "wallet" as much as any other detail of your stay.

In service