“Super location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very clean,comfortable, and quiet. Great location in the historic district. We could see Independence mall from our room. We opted not to use their valet parking as we wanted to have our car to get around. Philadelphia has plenty of metered parking available, with most spots free between 10 PM and 8 AM. That said,for those who prefer not to use their car to get around, there's a parking lot right down the street or of course the hotel's valet service for a few dollars more.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

JackFlynn -

The 4 "c"s! Clean, comfortable, convenient, and quiet (honorary c)...doesn't get better than hitting those. Good tips on the parking. There are a number of options given our location. Of course we prefer to be your number one choice, at the very least so you get more facetime Sean, T, Brad, and the other great guys on our door team. Thank you for choosing the Monaco.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,774)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We chose Hotel Monaco despite higher costs because of its design/aesthetic, its location for our needs and the reviews. When we checked in we had some minor issues but rolled up it was a less than stellar start to the trip. 1) When we got to our room our next door neighbor had deposited a garbage can with dirty diapers in the corner outside our room. This happened every day BTW. The hotel was slow to clean this up 2)We had planned to order room service when we arrived and had only 30 minutes before the kitchen closed. But when we arrived the dinner menu had been torn out of the cover it was in. When I called to ask for a new one so we could order before kitchen closed at first I was told it could not happen in time but after being firm one did come up fast. We ordered a hamburger that came with fries and chicken that came with grits. I asked if the grits could be replaced with the fries but was told no substitutions There was not much chicken for $27 and it was sitting in the grits which I do not like. There was no good reason a guest in a top tier room could not get fries instead of grits.

All of this just made me unhappy with my choice in hotel. I tweeted as such to Kimpton's Philadelphia feed. and to their credit the next morning a manager called to apologize. They offered to remove the room service charge from my bill (which was not done at checkout though - I had to let the front desk person know). They also sent up a very nice box of chocolates.

The hotel itself is very nice - our room was very very attractive which was part of the reason we chose it. The bed was very comfortable and despite the rooftop bar one floor above us and a loud chiming clock outside our room was very quiet.

We had brunch in the hotel restaurant which was amazingly fast - we were in and out in 20 minutes and the food was good.

All in all I would recommend this hotel as I think our issues were somewhat unique/rare but it is a more expensive option and can be a bit of a scene in the lobby area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

eddielouie9892 -

Definitely a rough start and not what we expect of ourselves, even if the issues are unique as you noted. Happily we were able to turn the frown upside down! I don't want this to sound ominous, but we're always listening on social media...so if it is not convenient for you to speak with a member of our staff, that is always an option to reach out. Hopefully you will reach out again for another stay in the future.

Regards -

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I surprised my grown daughter with a nights stay here when we were in town for a concert. This place is so cool. She described it as "an Alice in Wonderland themed hotel for adults" It really is unique. Everything about it was pleasing to the eye. I say that because everything was different from any other hotel I have stayed in! The food in the Red Owl tavern was delicious. After dinner we went up to the Stratus Rooftop Lounge, had a few drinks and watched a storm roll in! It was perfect! I would stay here again any time I was in Philly. This will be my "go to" hotel now. The entire place was spotless. I loved the things that were in the room such as a KITE! (For a price of course) But none the less, a kite?? Just quirky and fun! LOL Since it was a stormy day when we were there we kidded around about Ben Franklin and recreating his discovery of electricity!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking Independence Park.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

SharonO980 -

Sounds like a lot of fun for you and your daughter. As you know, there are a lot of concerts always taking place nearby at Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, not to mention some of the smaller nearby venues, so hopefully we will see you back more often. The kite is definitely a nod to our founding father Ol' Ben, but maybe we have to put a disclaimer on there!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very nice hotel with plenty of character. Wine tasting in the hotel lobby was super fun. The hotel restaurant, the Red Owl was excellent and casual. The location is fantastic. I could throw a stone from my hotel room window and hit independence Hall. Nice fitness room. Loved hearing the bell on Independence Hall tower ring.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Mindy T -

Please don't throw stones at Independence Hall...the park rangers are a little sensitive about that sort of thing. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Happy travels -

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing location!! We were right next to the Liberty Bell and had an awesome view of Independence Hall. Every staff members was courteous and hard working. The valet was great and interactive. Clean hotel with great security features to increase guest safety. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

MackBuffalo -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco on your trip to Philadelphia. Our doorman Brad is from Buffalo. Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to lament about the Bills with him while you were here. Hopefully you and the family will make your way down here again in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the elegant and finely appointed Kimpton Hotel Monaco. The service was excellent, and the happy hour between 5:00pm and 6:00pm was a nice touch!! I am a big fan of Kimpton Hotels, and Hotel Monaco lived up to their fine reputation. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Paula D -

Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Philadelphia. We are always humbled to live up to the reputation that precedes us from your stays at other Kimpton Hotels. Our nightly wine reception is a lot of fun, and don't forget we have coffee in the morning to help get you going again for another day of sightseeing (or work if you must).

Safe travels -

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed for one night while traveling on tour. Rasheed went above and beyond assisting me with arranging reservations on a return trip home. Truly a wonderful boutique hotel. Close to dining, shopping, etc.

• Stayed: August 2014

A33407 -

Thank you for staying with us, however brief it was. Roshid is amazing (over any length of time).