“Japanese Noodle House” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
south jersey
“Japanese Noodle House”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Walking in Philadelphia's Chinatown we spotted a small Japanese Noodle House.
This place is a treat. Compact with not being cramped. Wooden stools for chairs, which were surprising comfortable.
The menu, as the name suggests, is mostly noddle dishes, with a few curry platters for those who
don't want the carbs.
The four of us all ordered something different and we all enjoyed our meal. I thought mine was the best, Terakawa Ramen, their signature ramen dish.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Great ramen in Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

I usually only write restaurant reviews while traveling away from Philadelphia, but my recent visit to Terakawa Ramen at 9th and Race in Asiatown merits an exception. No doubt, there will be Philly tourists in search of good ramen. My group consisted of four dinner guests. We started with five appetizers, Gyoza, Sausage, Tempura Shumai, Edaname and Tako Yaki. The Gyoza was very delicate and delicious. Our waitperson recommended the Tako Yaki - a dish that included diced octopus; it was unusual and very good. We probably went overboard on appetizers because only ramen followed, but we wanted a taste of everything, sort of like Japanese tapas. We all thoroughly enjoyed all the appetizers, but I would leave the sausage off the next visit and try something else recommended by the waitperson. We ordered three different types of ramen noodle soup. I had the house special Terakawa Ramen. It included lots of cappelini size noodles with traditional toppings of pork slices, egg half and vegetables. The broth was very good - not too salty. I made the mistake of adding some additional pork slices to my order and some remained in the bowl at the meals conclusion. With a heavy round of appetizers, most diners will be satisfied with the ramen without additional toppings. Two in my party had the Shoyu Ramen. For this dish the ramen was wider and flatter and, according to my son, not as prevalent as in my dish. My daughter-in-law had the Tan Tan Ramen, a spicier dish. Upon questioning as to its spiciness, the waitperson offered to add a side bowl of regular ramen broth to cut the spiciness, and the offer was accepted and used. All of us were delighted with our meals. Now I don't have to go to New York City to enjoy ramen. It is right here at home at Terakawa Ramen. Terakawa Ramen is a BYOB. For a very filling meal for four, our bill, including tip, came to a surprising $78. We will definitely return. One word of caution, this is a Japanese ramen restaurant, no sushi here.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Arnon G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“If you want more than a Cup of Noodles...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

First off, I've never been a big fan of ramen... probably something from my childhood. I personally would rate the place 3 Stars for food, but that would be bias preference as the food was quite good.

If you like ramen, you'd like it here. It's simple, as ramen should be. There are only a few basic chooses, and you can then customize it with more meat, extra eggs, etc.

There are a few appetizers that I really liked. Some of the best takoyaki in this area. Service was really friendly and fast. No complaints there at all. The look of the place is nice, with lots of cues to its Japanese name.

Would I go back? Probably yes... to at least true their curry dishes.

• Visited December 2012