“Good Indian food in a pleasant environment”
Review of Indian Restaurant

Indian Restaurant
Ranked #2,263 of 4,446 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I've been to Indian Restaurant a few times and never been disappointed. The food is good, the prices are fair and the environment is casual and pleasant.

The appetizers, for the most part, are very tasty, with the Bengali shrimp, the curried chick peas and the poori standing out. (Be careful: There's a fried chick pea dish that has onion and something like Fritos or corn chips in it. Stay away!)

The main courses are of a good size, enough to fill you up if you eat all or enough to eat well and still take some home for lunch the next day. (Ask for an extra portion of rice to take home with you.) Once I had a crab meat curry that was good but a bit salty. Since that time I've always quietly and politely asked for the waiter to tell the chef to please go light on the salt, and my meals have been fine.

Besides the crab meat curry, I've also tremendously enjoyed the shrimp achari, the shrimp curry and several other dishes. Skip the naan and instead ask for poori, a light and fluffy lightly fried bread.

Indian Restaurant is good for a date or for a casual night out with friends.

The bathroom is of a good size, with hot and cold running water, real soap and real paper towels. It's clean and spacious. You may be asking why I'm telling you this. Well, a word of advice: Don't judge a restaurant only by the food on your plate; pay attention to the cleanliness of the bathroom and you'll go a long way to ensuring you live a long, happy, healthy life.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Last night, my husband & I dined here with my sister & my niece. We all ordered various styles of lamb: vindaloo, rogan josh, curry and biryani. Everything was delicious. I love Indian food and often order lamb rogan josh at my favorite place. This was a little different than what I'm used to: it had chunks of onion, tomato and even green pepper in it. Suspicious at first, I was pleasantly surprised that these additions were very tasty. The waiter (he may have been the owner) was quick but unobtrusive. The atmosphere isn't fancy, but it was very pleasant. The place was super clean. And it's BYOB, which is always a plus in my book. In the end, we were all full with some leftovers for my niece to take home to her apartment. We declined dessert, but the waiter brought over a very nice rice pudding on the house, warm and topped with some brown sugar. How nice!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

W had two meals here and we were very happy with the quality and pricing if the food. Menu was ample to choose from and the place was clean . It was nearby our unit so made it easy for us to locate.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We live close and we like this place for sitting and eating or all-out. Love the flavors and the large number of choices.

1  Thank Jon T
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have to admit up front that I just don’t like Indian food. (As much as I love spicy food, I just don’t care for the specific spices or flavors that dominate Indian cuisine.) That being made clear, I still have to give this restaurant credit for several aspects. For the past two years my crew and I have celebrated my friend’s birthday here. (Unfortunately for me, all my friends DO like Indian food.) Besides everyone loving the food, we continue to return because the service is great and the restaurant is quite cozy. The waiters are always attentive and helpful – not once have they made any mistakes with our orders or our bills (an applaud–worthy accomplishment considering we are a group of at least 7). The fact that this is a BYOB is also a plus. And unlike other BYOBs, the servers at this restaurant have never made us feel like we were being pushed out or should hurry to leave after finishing our meal. And though (as I mentioned earlier) I do not care for Indian food, I can say that the grilled chicken kebabs I had were tasty. In fact, all of the grilled meats I’ve tried at this restaurant were prepared very nicely. If you are looking for Indian food in Philly, this should probably be on your list of places to try.