Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Great find!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have always stayed at The Marriott while in Philadelphia. This year we decided to try someplace different, and this hotel was fabulous. Brand new since August, everything was upscale and contemporary. We could live in the beautifully designed room which featured a lovely kitchen, lots of storage, comfortable furniture, great king bed and a quiet heater. The lobby and staff were delightful and the breakfast (included) was much healthier and interesting than the usual hotel fare. The parking garage next door was convenient and the Reading Terminal across the street was another plus!

1 Thank Victoria N
Josh D, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Victoria,

Thank you for staying at our new Home2 Suites and for providing such great feedback on your experience. We all understand that you a tremendous amount of choices when staying in Downtown Philadelphia and am glad you ventured to the Home2 Suites. I hope you have found your "Home Away from Home" while visiting Philadelphia!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had a very UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE with the Assistant General Manager, Maria Gonzales at the Home2Suites in Philadelphia, PA at 12th and Arch Sts. My stay was initially for 1 day, which I extended for a second day. The staff was pleasant. I asked for a 4:45 am wake up call. The next day, I did not receive the wake up call. 01/15/2014, Wednesday morning when I was leaving the hotel, I mentioned to a female worker a few things:

1. I did not get my 4:45 AM wake up call.
2. There was not any shampoo in the shower stall.
3. The Guest Printing Service was not working.
4. I hit my head in the shower on one of the shelves.

When I returned back to the hotel a message was left for me to contact Ms Gonzales. From her initial tone it was condescending, ending with her basically calling me a LIAR. She is a pathetic little LIAR, INCOMPETENT, a POOR example of an Assistant GM and her End Goal Is to Blame the Guest.

Gonzales tells me that she did a thorough investigation and "I don't want to say that I don't believe you", but um, to address some of the issues. I checked the shampoo and it was completely full. Maybe you did not know how to work it. Really?? (She's making this comment to a woman who built many of the high risers, hotels and hospitals in Center City Philadelphia). She claims she pulled the phone record and it shows the phone rang twice, but I never answered. I was awake when the alarm clock went off at 4:50 AM. She never showed me the report or called the phone to see if there was a problem with the telephone or the ringer itself.

In the 7.5 hours that I was out of the hotel, she had time to call the IT Dept to get the network error fixed and the link working. I contacted both vendors to verify when a trouble ticket was placed. Again, she tells me, "You tried to send it to an email and it's a website you have to send it to." She was not familiar with the Complimentary Guest Printing Card that sits on the desk in each guest room. I bought the card to the front desk. But she's an Asst GM. At the front desk she shows me that the web page is working, while insisting that I was typing in the wrong web address and that I had it all wrong. I told her that she used a poor choice of words, when she repeatedly told me, "It's not that I don't believe you, but I checked everything and before the workers get in trouble, everything is working fine. I don't see a problem."

At that point in time I had had it with her, nonsense. I asked her for her business card, which she states she did not have one, as she was newly employed. I then returned to my room, called the front desk to ask for the General Manager's name and telephone number. Since she tried to make me out to be a liar or acted as if none of these issues existed. I pulled up every FAILED entry and error message (print screen) that I received from the history log of printeron.net. At the end of the day, she lied to me to Cover Up her Incompetence of Running a Hotel and Not being On Top of Things that are Broken.

I would have been fine if she said, thank you so much for bringing the printer issue to my attention. It's now working. Instead, she LIED. The empty shampoo dispenser, which was refilled by the housekeeper, had she apologized, it would have ended there. She LIED. The wake up call, she most likely LIED about that too. A GREAT manager would have apologized, got things corrected and asked if there was anything else they could do. She showed no concern with me banging my head, but that is to be expected from someone of her caliber. The next guest who bangs their head on those shelves in the shower may result in a lawsuit against the hotel.

She admitted that she entered my room without my knowledge or contacting me. There was no note or business card left, which she claims she does not have, indicating that someone entered the room.

If Gonzales is the Best that the Hilton has to offer, I do not want to see their Worst! On the wall near the elevators there is a plaque that wants every guest to have a pleasant experience and if not, they guarantee your satisfaction. Well she FAILED miserably. In all my years of travel and stay at hotels, I have NEVER had a hospitality worker start off a conversation with, "It's not that I don't believe you" and "I did a thorough investigation."

When I checked out, they did not even say, Thank You.

Hopefully, no other guest will have to experience what occurred to me by the Assistant GM.

FYI,

The room is quite nice, but the shower stall is on the small side and those three rear shelves are a head banger.

The breakfast is horrible. Nothing prepared on site.

There is street parking. Two dollars and fifty cents per hour, but carry cash just in case the kiosk opts not to accept bankcards. Pay attention to the time on the ticket and the maximum time to park. An expired ticket will get you a $26.00 parking ticket.

8 Thank B4URentorBuy
B4URentorBuy,

Thank you for your stay at our new Home2 Suites by Hilton and for providing feedback on your recent stay. I am gald we had the opportunity to speak to each other at length about your experience and am hopeful that you will give our hotel another try to fully gain you confidence as this type of experience is not indicative of what our guest experience.

Thanks,
Philadelphia
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Availability was tight and thought I'd try the new place out using points for 1 night and paying cash for 2nd night. So glad I did! This place is all that and then some. Clean, new, spacious and you get a hot, cold, plenty breakfast the next morning. I'm a bit of a hotel snob but this places "gets it", they know the layout of the room, how the consumer wants the lighting and plugs, the gym, the coffee and juice bar open 24 hours, etc and cool colors and decorations throughout. Stayed in plenty of center city Phila hotels over the years, this place will get my repeat business for sure.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Josh D, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
amsandbeach,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as there is many choices here in Philadelphia. I'm excited to read your feedback regarding your stay and am glad that you now have a new favorite hotel while staying downtown.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit,
Baltimore
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The rooms are very clean with updated appliances, etc. Breakfast was great and staff were great! It is very accessible to everything and they are all walking distance. Great locations and the price is very reasonable!

Room Tip: The beds and the pillows were very uncomfortable and by the time we got home, our necks were sore...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
timeshare2012,

Thank you for staying at our new Home2 Suites in Philadelphia and for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It's great to see that you enjoyed our location and we look forward to having you stay again in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding the comfort of our beds or pillows; next visit please know that we do have feather pillows as well which tends to be a softer pillow.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I've stayed here 7 days over the last 2 weeks and all in all I'm more than satisfied. The rooms are studio suites and are spacious. Nice size tv with real HD channels, not the stretched SD on HD screens you see in a lot of hotels. Bed, couch, desk, a dresser and plenty of shelf space. The kitchen has a real refrigerator and freezer, not those mini things a lot of places have. It has a microwave but no oven or cooktop, although the will supply an electric cooktop upon request. The bathroom is fine, but be warned, if you have to have a tub you're out of luck. There are only showers in the rooms.
Huge, we'll maintained exercise room and an indoor pool. The staff was friendly and helpful, although the housekeeping was spotty. The first couple of days they neglected to refill the coffee supplies, but when I asked the front desk they were happy to send stuff right up.
This is still a relatively new hotel and they are still having some growing pains. The soap dispensers in the rooms are a good idea but a little flimsy.
All in all, I was happy and I'll be back.

1 Thank Billzebub
Billzebulb,

Thank you for continuing to stay with us at our new Home2 Suites Philadelphia. I will sure to share your comments with the team. It's great to know you are able to make our hotel your "Home Away from Home" while visiting Philadelphia.

I look forward to meeting you on your next trip,

Josh
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The rooms are very nice, with fridge, microwave, stove, dishwasher, dishes. The bed was comfortable. The service was a bit slow - we called down because we forgot toothpaste and 30 minutes later we still didn't have it. I called down again to also ask for more pillows and the toothpaste. This time we got what we needed in about 15 minutes. The front desk was nice enough but didn't really seem to know a whole lot about the immediate area. Was a little disappointed in breakfast. Wish there were more hot options. Loved that there was always coffee available, morning and night. We would probably stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Josh D, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Melody,

Thank you for you recent stay at our new Home2 Suites in Philadelphia and for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious suites and fully equipped kitchen. Our goal is to service all guest requests quickly and apologize for any delays delivering your items; we have discussed with our team to prevent future delays. You will be happy to know that our Inspired Breakfast Table will soon offer a new artisan style breakfast sandwich and egg bowl! Please come see us again on your next visit to Philadelphia.
Langhorne, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Front desk stunk but the first time I stayed was great. The front desk gave really bad attitude and pushed you off. I felt when you called or when to them you were bothering them. I had to have my key rekeyed and he did not say a thing just gave it to me when I needed to stay later. I was told I could stay later and this should have been done automatically. Maid came into my room without knocking. The company should get rid of those who worked the front desk that day.

Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

2 Thank John B
John,

Thank you for your recent stay at our new Home2 Suites Philadelphia and for providing feedback on your experience. I do hope you enjoyed our room accomodations and want to apologize for the service you experienced. Service is what sets our hotel apart from the rest of the local competitive hotels and I would like to learn any additional specifics that you can provide. My email is Josh.Davalos@hilton.com. Thanks again and I look forward to your response.