“Fantastic location, sleek look but a bit spooky at night”

Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
White Plains, New York
“Fantastic location, sleek look but a bit spooky at night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Our family stayed here two nights. We were easily able to walk to various locations in Center City and the Historic District. Also extremely convenient to subway, trolley and bus lines. We also stopped by the Reading Terminal Market in the morning to get some very large, fresh pieces of fruit--a treat!

The hotel itself isn't set up so much for families--more for hip, technologically savvy singles or couples. The only available room for the 5 of us was a studio suite, which was adequate (2 queens and a comfy sofabed) but there wasn't a ton of extra room. On the plus side, the vending machines on every floor sold soda pop for a very reasonable price!!

The breakfast selection was adequate but the seating areas themselves were often very crowded--there is a lot of unused open space...more thought should be put into setting up more seating. Even some of the current seating options do not work for children, as they are too high up.

The exercise area is beautiful and overlooks the (very small) swim area. Dipped my feet into the pool, which was enjoyable, but the very small size of the pool discouraged my kids from wanting to even go in at all.

The Wifi worked well but the connections on the desktop computers were spotty. This has been my experience with all of the computers on the Hilton networks in other locations, all of which use the same system.

The staff made a point of warning me about when we would need our keys to enter the building (after 8 pm). During the day, the area outside the hotel is fine but I would not want to linger outside with younger kids or if traveling alone (and female)...a bit on the creepy side.

But overall, an excellent value--not easy to find a sleek hotel in Center City that can fit 5 into one room, free internet, breakfast, along with a great location...that won't break the bank.

Room Tip: Park your car at the PPA lot (1540 Vine, entrance on 16th south of Vine). It costs only $18 a day...
4 Thank Tzyoam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed for five nights. The experience was very good. The housekeeping staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The size of the room was perfect for our needs. Will stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Big bang for the buck. Rooms are spacious, well equipped and clean. Glad you have queen beds and not doubles. Breakfast was plentiful and healthy. Free WiFi that actually worked was a nice bonus. Staff was friendly and helpful. Parking in adjacent lot was easy although pricey but you are in a downtown location which is to be expected. Only complaint is that the convention of people were allowed to loiter in front of the hotel. There were literally 100's of them they were loud and completely trashed the streets in front of the hotel. Broken liquor bottles, soda and beer cans and food trash was thrown everywhere.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I am writing this tonight after an experience where I felt my concern was not acknowledged by management. If you knew me you would know I never complain in fact, I do not even send bad food back when it's served to me. I flew I to PHL today for work, I had requested early checkin which I am grateful I got! I checked in upon my arrival from airport to hotel around 150pm, dropped my luggage of and quickly left to go to work down the street. When I returned around 6pm I quickly changed and left again for dinner. When I arrived that second time is when I noticed the room was not that clean. As a frequent guest of Hilton this did not settle well, the floors were very sticky and even the bathroom countertops and kitchenette area counters were dirty. The kicker was when I returned from dinner and was able to examine the room...there was poop stains in toilet, and the rugs had visibly not been vacuumed. When I say on edge of bed (still clothed and shoes on, I looked down and there was a safety pin wide open on the ground right by side of bed, and on night table was stains from someone's coffee or pop but not from me. The other bed had a spot that looked like someone had sat there (not me). I wen downstairs and showed Nicole the pictures she was VERY apologetic and immediately booked me into another room after seeing the pictures I had to share with her. She acknowledged that her co worker was Angela her supervisor and spoke loudly enough to say that I was u happy Angela a one point while tending to her customer looked up and Nicole said to her I had pictures and I was not happy with my room. I waited to take Angela up with me to show her but Nicole suggested i go back up to pack to move to my new room and that Angela would be up to take a look... I waited a good 20-25 min then called front desk. Angela answered I asked if she was Nicole she said boldly No I said oh ok are you the manager? She said yeah...I said oh good are you coming up to take a look at my room? She said I'm by myself I can't just leave to go look I said shockingly ok, I was just down there with Nicole I'm the one she told you about that was unhappy with her room she said she didn't tell me anything. I'll send security. My point is, as a manager, where is the empathy? Acknowledge that I was distraught and I was definitely not rude in return just perturbed and tired...I am grateful for Nicole's empathy and acknowledgement. As a Hilton honors member, I am disappointed with Angela's lack of...I guess it's time to rack up my Marriott rewards....

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Nadia Nadeau S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The price and the size of the studio room is good, but the no existence of a bath tub in the room was a big disappointment for me, topping with no sauna and no steam room to go to as well. Did not ask if they have a swimming pool coz it isn't my cup of tea. For the folks that like to take a nice salted water hot bubble bath with theraputic concoction after a long day of activities to enhance a great sleep must find another hotel to stay. Stayed three nights and can't wait to check out.

• Stayed July 2014
Philadelphia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel made us feel like Kings and Queens for a fair price! Everything was clean and professional. The kids enjoyed the pool while I relaxed in the spacious room that did not make me feel claustrophobic. The breakfast was like a buffet with a variety of food. I will come back to this place again!

Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

1 Thank Beth S
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The staff was friendly and very helpful. Didn't have parking, and we had to park on an open lot a few blocks away, Location was great near the Reading market and transportation, Buffet breakfast was hot and cold as needed. Staff assistance was valuable. Enjoyed the tiny kitchen.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business