“Better Sushi and Service Elsewhere” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Miami Beach, Florida
“Better Sushi and Service Elsewhere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

My parents had bought us a Restaurant.com certificate good for $25. We only had to spend another $12 to use the $25 so we figured why not? We each got a seaweed salad and then split a softshell crab roll and a broiled eel roll (I forget the names they gave them). They actually had 3 different kinds of eel rolls at different price points but it looked like the only difference amongst them were whether you added cucumber or avocado to them. The seaweed salad had 3 different types of seaweed (black, green, pink) which was a unique twist. The sushi was ordinary.

The service was a bit weird with both a man and a woman waiting on us. The lady was more 'with it', meaning alert, professional, and knowledgeable about the menu. The guy was aloof and socially odd.

The decor was dated and given the difficulty in parking and crowds along South Street, I don't think we'd come back without another gift certificate.

• Visited September 2013

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Ok for the area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

It a very nice restaurant with great service. But I found the food to be ok. I think that it is not made by Japanese. I think they are Chinese. It's ok to visit if you are walking south street and would like some sushi.

Visited November 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Fish + Hot Sake = Yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Finally! A sushi place that offers an affordable hot sake... $4.75/carafe. The fish is always fresh and the service is wonderful.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank AJay503
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“freshest most original sushi in this city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

I love this place, it is one of the small handful of sushi places I will eat at in this city. The rolls are very fresh, and most of them are Hikaru's own touch. For example..south street roll is amazing, try it!

michkinney
“Awesome sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

I went to Hikaru with my boyfriend and brother who just moved to the neighborhood from our hometown near Boston. The waitress was really sweet and helpful, she happily answered all of our questions and made some recommendations for us, including some of the tuna that came in that morning, which melted in our mouths. We got a variety of sushi, including the Sprunchy roll (my new favorite!!), spicy tuna, red dragon roll, shrimp tempura roll, Hamachi, Maguro and many others, and none failed to impress. They were totally cool with variations we requested on some of their menu items. The prices were comparable to my favorite sushi place in Boston, and while the pieces were a bit smaller, the taste, quality, and freshness of the fish made up for it. When we finished the meal the waitress brought us, on the house, a homemade cold tea made with ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar and pine nuts, that was a perfect compliment to the meal. We all left there full and happy. My favorite place back home just wont be the same after eating at Hikaru, but thankfully my brother lives just a few steps away now, so I'll be sure to make lots of visits to see him.

The place is well decorated, and very clean and bright. We went in jeans and nice tops, and didnt feel under dressed. The restaurant is BYOB, so dont forget to stop for a bottle of wine on your way in! It looked like there was plenty of street parking in the area, and there are lots of other cool places to check out in the neighborhood.